Show your work horses and bubba rifles

Great post here!!! I have a lot of friends who own a little bunch of fine, well worked and very well used weapons, pieces of art, but in fact, they used to showing them to the friends and expect himselfs an "WOW.... WHATH A BEAUTY!!!", or some like thath....
An old warrior doesn´t exist without scares, more and more with the years he still fighting!
I put some pics of my only rifle, my workhorse, my hunting partner, killing machine, 1891 mauser argentino 308 win...
1704537234566.png

Bob sorry I missed your 358 Winchester question. I started by loading 225 gr Nosler Partitions at about 2470 fps. It was a warm load of R10 powder. It worked well on caribou. I then cut the barrel to 16.25 inches and started using Swift A Frames with the same load. Velocity dropped to 2415 fps with a shorter barrel. It worked well on black bear. Always big exits with chunks of lung hanging out. For moose I experimented with one 160 gr Cutting Edge bullet at about 2700 fps. It with through a moose on two different occasions with the base stopped just under the hide on the off side. In both cases I had a second shot of a 225 gr lead bullet (in case those new fangled copper bullets didn't work). The lead bullets had similar performance. I think the first was a A Frame and the second might have been a Woodleigh PP 225. I had loaded a few of those and I think one slipped into my ammo pack.

Here's my Tikka T3 lite in 308 that my dad bought me when I was 11. Over the years I've gradually modified it and at the moment it's in a GRS Bifrost stock that I painted myself with an Atlasworx bottom metal. It might be a bit newer than most of the stuff in this thread but so am I. I've killed all my big game except one roebuck with this including everything on my safari I got home from a couple weeks ago and used it for the practical shooting test when i took my hunters exam. Its properly worn in now so the bolt is the smoothest bolt ive ever felt and it's more accurate than I am. It's starting to get some character and I absolutely love this rifle and hope to pass it down to my grandkids some day far in the future.

0608d97a-4379-48c3-b283-406a3f7a34d1.jpg
20240417_115507.jpg
20240417_165340.jpg
20240411_203632.jpg
20181223_095840~2.jpg
Screenshot_20240331_232348_Photos.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my dad’s old Remington 700 adl in .30-06. Around early 2000 dad loaned it to one of his grandkids for a deer hunt. The kid brought it back and left it leaning against the wall and the entertainment system. I happened to visit one Sunday evening and saw it. Picked it up and opened the bolt. Sure enough the live round dropped out. That kid never unloaded or cleaned it or anything! Dad didn’t show a sign of anger, just told me to take it home and lock it up with my guns.
Back then he used a red and black box of hornady ammo-I sure loved the picture of a man on a horse with a rifle on those boxes!
A Decade or so later I figured to fix it up some and give it to dad for Christmas. Bought a nice zeiss scope with new base and rings. Had the original trigger replaced with a Timney and bedded the refinished stock. Added a good recoil pad. Went to work finding a good deer load for it shooting 165 interlock bullets. We didn’t load our own when I was growing up-I learned that hobby/addiction later in life.
He had some cardiac rebuilding performed in The meantime and his hunting days abruptly came to an end.
I showed him the project and he seemed to have lost interest. Told me to keep the rifle. I already had a full stable so suggested one of the other grandsons get it for Christmas. Dad agreed and he gave it to Jake who was previously using one of my “loaner” rifles.
The following season my brother, Jake’s dad determined to use it on one hunt so dad could see it still being used and cared for. This is the best buck he found that year.
That rifle is now in the back of my brothers safe but we got some memories out of it.
Not really a “bubba” but was never fancy either just did what it was intended to do-fill the freezer for a man and his family.
IMG_1541.jpeg

Last edited:
Here's my Tikka T3 lite in 308 that my dad bought me when I was 11. Over the years I've gradually modified it and at the moment it's in a GRS Bifrost stock that I painted myself with an Atlasworx bottom metal. It might be a bit newer than most of the stuff in this thread but so am I. I've killed all my big game except one roebuck with this including everything on my safari I got home from a couple weeks ago and used it for the practical shooting test when i took my hunters exam. Its properly worn in now so the bolt is the smoothest bolt ive ever felt and it's more accurate than I am. It's starting to get some character and I absolutely love this rifle and hope to pass it down to my grandkids some day far in the future.
That worn paintjob is sexy af

Many of you have lever guns in your collections. I also have one but I should have two. Another gun dad gave me was an old nothing special marlin in 30-30. I killed my first deer with that little rifle. Then I had a friend who fell in love with it and I was young and foolish and broke at the time and sold it to him. Granted it is in a friends hands and he does love it, but it should have stayed in the family at any cost.
A decade late I saw this rifle on gunbroker. The bidding started low and I got caught in the rush and in the end it was about winning. Which is a Nice way to say I spent twice what I should have!
The rifle is gorgeous, heavy and rough cycling. I load flex tip bullets for the long 30-30 and when my eyes were better could hit milk jugs refilled with water with it at 200 yards. Not anymore though!
My brother in law had a cow elk tag and intended to slip through the heavy timber due to a pending snowstorm. So he borrowed my little octagonal cannon and went to work.
I guess it’s also not really a bubba gun, but a fun little workhorse that we all like to shoot. To quote one of my young shooters, “it makes me feel like a cowboy!”
IMG_9697.jpeg

I found this Savage 111 in 270 Win at a cheap price on the used rack at my local Cabelas a few weeks back. I bought it more for the glossy Leupold Vari-X IIc 3-9x scope than for the gun; but assuming this thing can shoot like a Savage is supposed to, then it is likely to become a workhorse rifle.

20240420_144248.jpg

I found this Savage 111 in 270 Win at a cheap price on the used rack at my local Cabelas a few weeks back. I bought it more for the glossy Leupold Vari-X IIc 3-9x scope than for the gun; but assuming this thing can shoot like a Savage is supposed to, then it is likely to become a workhorse rifle.

View attachment 605283
@cash_tx
Now whip that horrible 270 barrel off and send it to JES for a rebore to 35 Whelen and get a 25-06 barrel to go with it and your set fer anything.
Bob

@cash_tx
Now whip that horrible 270 barrel off and send it to JES for a rebore to 35 Whelen and get a 25-06 barrel to go with it and your set fer anything.
Bob
LOL, funny you mention that; I've been looking at a swap-in ER Shaw barrel in 35 Whelen that Midway sells for Savage 110/111's for about $200 US. I think it would be a neat change and 35 Whelen would be a nice caliber addition to fill in the spot between my 308 Norma Mag and 375 H&H Mag. My original thought was to pull the Leupold scope off and get rid of the rifle, but now I'm gonna play with it in 270 for awhile and then make a decision.

Also, I like the idea of a 25-06; but I've already got one in a nice custom built on a surplus Mauser 98 action that I am still getting dialed in. It's #2 in a growing list of project rifles sitting in my slow-moving queue. :)

LOL, funny you mention that; I've been looking at a swap-in ER Shaw barrel in 35 Whelen that Midway sells for Savage 110/111's for about $200 US. I think it would be a neat change and 35 Whelen would be a nice caliber addition to fill in the spot between my 308 Norma Mag and 375 H&H Mag. My original thought was to pull the Leupold scope off and get rid of the rifle, but now I'm gonna play with it in 270 for awhile and then make a decision.

Also, I like the idea of a 25-06; but I've already got one in a nice custom built on a surplus Mauser 98 action that I am still getting dialed in. It's #2 in a growing list of project rifles sitting in my slow-moving queue. :)
@cash_tx
Dial your 25-96 in with a nice 100gn TTSX and 54gn of H4350 for 3,400fps.
The beauty of the savage is you can do the barrel swap yourself using a factory round as a headspace gauge.
Bob

I think I've spent more time in the woods with this little rifle than any other gun the past few years. It's a CZ 527 in 7.62x39, and is a joy to carry. It's been pretty effective on deer and yotes. Probably should put a scope on it at some point, but the irons have been working fine so far.

1000003843-jpg.606473

I think I've spent more time in the woods with this little rifle than any other gun the past few years. It's a CZ 527 in 7.62x39, and is a joy to carry. It's been pretty effective on deer and yotes. Probably should put a scope on it at some point, but the irons have been working fine so far.

1000003843-jpg.606473
I've been running a leupold 2-7 freedom on mine for awhile and liking it, will hit a 6" gong at 300 yards every shot.

I've been running a leupold 2-7 freedom on mine for awhile and liking it, will hit a 6" gong at 300 yards every shot.
@mauserhunter
It's good to see the scope will hit a 6" gong every time but how does the rifle shoot
Ha Ha Ha
Bob

@mauserhunter
It's good to see the scope will hit a 6" gong every time but how does the rifle shoot
Ha Ha Ha
Bob
Steel case wolf or tula will put 5 under 3/4" at 100 yards, shoots so good I've barely reloaded for it and I've got a few hundred lapua cases to try out along with the nice ppu brass I've shot up.

Okay, I usually don't post anything but this one is right down my alley. If I'm in a hurry and headed to the deer woods this is the one I grab. It's a CZ 527 in 7.62x39. This little round is a deer whacker!

View attachment 577727
I have a Ruger 77 boat paddle mk2 in 7.62x39 its a very mild & effective round up to about 200 meters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MelodeeLed

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani