Show your Win Mod 70 Safari or Super Express

297D1D2E-85E8-468E-8AE6-0D29C97645F3.jpeg

Here’s my baby in 375 H&H

Reactions: WAB
I ended up taking the front sight hood off mine. IMO, that's the way to go as I've been shooting iron sights 30 years and never once had a problem with glare. It opens the sight picture up significantly.

I ended up taking the front sight hood off mine. IMO, that's the way to go as I've been shooting iron sights 30 years and never once had a problem with glare. It opens the sight picture up significantly.
The sight hood wasn't for glare, but to protect the sight from bumps, occlusion and snagging. I fail to see how a hoop that is less than two millimeters thick obscures a sight picture. My experience with unhooded front sights is that the conventional post design with a ball at the top snags on brush and tall grass. There are some more modern designs which address this with a beveled blade and this is no longer an issue. This is why military sights have ears on either side of the front sight post. With the advent of the HK style front sight the interrupted circle works wonders for centering up the sight correctly in the rear aperture. Which brings us to the dangerous game rifle with an aperture rear sight and a hooded front sight. Circle, circle, post...Boom! Flop.

I just committed to buy a brand new-in-box Left Hand Model 70 Classic Safari Express. Completely factory and reportedly unfired. Couldn't help myself.

Perhaps help is available through a support group...

M70-375.jpeg

IMG_20210812_115125695~2.jpg
Proof I'm slightly obsessed. A .375 H&H Safari Express with two Leupold scopes. Mounted is a VX-3i 4.5-14x40 CRS Windplex and a FX-II Ultralight 2.5x20.

47 transition straightened bolt handle. engine turned bolt ,follower and rails slick as glass empties nearly fall out when I open the bolt.found it as a barrel action on fleabroker for 850$ might have been a super grade but had some jive ass after market trigger guard and floor player so went with an aluminum one was tough finding a nice cloverleaf stock though.

I just picked up my new in the box from 1993 Winchester model 70 super Express 416 Remington Magnum! What a delightful rifle first thing I noticed is that it is quite a bit lighter and better balanced than the current model 70 Express! I compared it to a later model Winchester model 70 stainless classic and it definitely has a lighter contour barrel. I mounted a Leopold 1.5-5x20 power scope and Leopold quick detach rings. I can't wait to work up a load for it and see how accurate it is!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChanceSkin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!