Shoulder surgery

Ravensview

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Member of
SCI,DSC, DU
Hello All, has any one had surgery for their rotator cuff, and if you have how long was it before you could shoot again? The reason I am asking is because I am scheduled for rotator cuff repair surgery at the end of the month and was trying to figure out if I’d be good to go for November’s deer season.

I had mine repaired in 2010 after a snowboarding accident, but on my non-shooting arm. It was maybe a couple months before I had a good range of motion back.

However, I have two anchor bolts in the front, so I don’t think I would willingly shoot a heavy recoil rifle left handed. I have successfully shot a 30-06 lefty without issue.
That said, I played rugby for a couple of years after the procedure, and I didn’t have any issues (I played Lock/2nd row forward- lots of shoulder work)

Ask your doc about the expectations for your particular procedure, they usually have a good idea of the timeline for your age and the level of repair

Oh, side note:
If you opt for a nerve block (keeps your arm numb afterwards)…it keeps your arm completely numb for DAYS. You will have to be careful with your fingers because you can’t tell that they are there…or if you slammed them in a door.

As far as deer season, I think you would be ok. Just talk with the doc and do your shoulder rehab afterwards. Good luck, and heal well.

Thanks, your the second person that mentioned that nerve block to me, they highly recommended it. I am not even going to ask about the fingers in door.

Nerve block? The hell? Nobody offered me one when I had my bicep tendon repair done some time ago.

I had rotator cuff surgery on November 5 last year I went out and shit my 470 NE on Saturday for the second time no pain. Do the exercises and Phyisio you should within 2 months handle a deer rifle. Start slow and work your way up. At 2 months I was shooting a 41 Mag handgun a little pain but not bad. My shoulder was pretty much buggered up and useless 2 tears, torn muscle, calcium built up and a torn muscle in my upper ar, I have 95% use of it now. Was painful for the first week, but was worth it.

Last edited:
no experience on this but i wish you good luck sir. feel better soon.

I had this surgery 9 years ago. I was able to shoot in about 3-4 months. I started with something like a 22-250 or 243. Then worked my way up to larger calibers. I would say you should be good to go with your timeline! Just make sure you speak with the PT who is doing your therapy, and tell them what your goal is immediately so they can help your strengthen those needed muscled for sure.

I had rotator cuff surgery on November 5 last year I went out and shit my 470 NE on Saturday for the second time no pain.

Actually, that sounds like it would be very painful.......... :E Happy:

How did your 470 NE fare?

Had the whole package redone exactly one year ago. Pins and ropes reattaching the supra, SLAP tear and bicep tendon tear. I was culling and guiding by October. You should be completely healed but without any real strength in that shoulder by that time. You will have to be very careful climbing in a blind, tree, cleaning a deer, anything that requires strength/stability out in space. You won't have it. It takes awhile to get real strength back. I did 35 PT sessions then 30 sessions with a private trainer. I can hit tennis balls 100% now, serve about 50% and play golf 100%. It is still not as strong as the other shoulder but working on it.

Actually, that sounds like it would be very painful.......... :E Happy:

How did your 470 NE fare?

No pain which is good leave for a Buffalo hunt in 7 weeks. 470 fares as always good group at 40 yards.

I hadn’t heard of the nerve block till recently but it does sound like a good route to go for the first few days, now I gotta figure out how to get 3000 bd ft of tongue and groove ceiling up one armed?

Good day, just had shoulder surgery 5 weeks ago. This being my second surgery on my right shoulder, first was 10 yrs ago. Your recovery depends on what the surgeon needs to do. I was good to go 4 months after surgery the first time which was partial open shoulder surgery. Was on my first safari after 4 months. This time around the surgeon tells me I'll be out of commission for 6 to 8 months. Complete supraspinatus tear reattachment with allograft and bicep tenodesos as well as bursectomy. I don't even start physio for another week, still trussed up like a Thanksgiving turkey, sleep in my recliner maybe an hour or 2 at a time. Don't rush the rehab you may make it worse. This is not a fun surgery, take the time to heal and follow through with physio.

You’re asking the right questions. I’m recovering from wrist surgery (old hockey injury) that involved removing a bone, pinning a couple others together and installing a screw stop. I scheduled it carefully regarding hunting season. My patience is wearing thin and my trigger finger is twitchy! Good luck with your shoulder.

Not sure what you’re having done, but I severed all 4 tendons in my right rotator at 50 yo. Took 4 months to get the surgery approved by my useless HMO! The first tendon tore out because the bone had softened so much, so the Dr. reattached it different than normal. Took me nearly two years before I was back at 3 sets of 10 pullups. But today at nearly 74, it has worked OK…not like in my 40s, but good enough for an old fart.

Caution…do everything your PT tells you to do religiously!
Best of luck in your recovery!

I had two rotator cuff surgeries back in the early nineties which didn't last so had a complete left shoulder replacement 11 years ago. I was in pt three days a week and did the same routine every night at home. Dr. said it would be at least a year before I could go back to work full time. 3 months later I was doing light stuff and at 6 months I was working full time construction. He gave me 7 to 8 years on the shoulder but at 11 years I'm still going strong and about 90% strength. Overhead work bothers me and range of motion is a little less than before but I've outlived expectations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RXQLela937

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber