Should I replace my scope?

I have the 2.5 x 8x on my 375 H&H and love it.

They have the same deal on the 2.5-8. Net price $299.00 after rebate. It's hard to pass up.
Yes I posted that as a heads up for you, I'm already jumping on a 1x4 for my 404 jeff build, I have a VX1 on my 375HH while it's not as bright as my Nikons it has taken all the beating my 375 has put out so far, I would guess the VX3 maybe has better glass

Last edited:
get a schmidt & bender and call it a day on that gun there is no better glass period, I have many different ones, leupolds, etc, nothing beats the S&B. leupold v6 isnt even close and yes I have one to compare side by side, cost $$$ but will never look back.

I ended up with the Leupold 2.5-8. It will go into Talley mounts. Should all be here in the next few days.

I ended up with the Leupold 2.5-8. It will go into Talley mounts. Should all be here in the next few days.
Congrats,Don't forget that rebate(if you went with the VX3)

I had Leupold's on all my rifles and then purchased a Swarovski. Now I have Swarovski on all my rifles and sold all my leupolds.
Would never go back to Leupold after using a Swarovski IMO.

I plan on taking my recently purchased Remington 700 8mm magnum to Africa next year. The rifle came with a pre Monarch Nikon 4x scope. The rifle is a late 80s vintage and I'm assuming the scope is the same. It is clean, clear, doesn't fog and has held zero perfectly through my initial load development. I'm not looking for advice on fixed vs. variable, more power, etc. I've found that for deer sized game and larger, if I can't hit it with a 4x scope, I probably shouldn't be shooting at it. My concern is reliability. Am I risking failure with every shot? Should I replace it with something more modern?
Well...on one hand, it has 30+ years of history working just fine...
On the other. ..yeah, there are better scopes out nowadays. I don't think anyone could fault you for going either way, really, but I wouldn't eat Ramen noodles for a week to replace it, either.

A 3-9 is, with all due respect, a better sail than the average 4x when it's windy in the mountains! :)

Also, the higher the zoom ratio, the more critical the eye relief and the greater the variation in eye relief distance between lowest and highest magnification! That is why I only looked though the Swarovski Z6 1-6 on one occasion. NB Kahles have just brought out a new 3x ratio range of hunting telescopes, the Helia 3 series, for precisely that reason, although they are far too polite to say so!
Eye relief on most modern 1-6 optics is fixed. My vcog did not vary, nor do I recall my k16i (kahles military version of z6i) varying. Eyebox did shrink thiugh, as you would expect.

Well...on one hand, it has 30+ years of history working just fine...
On the other. ..yeah, there are better scopes out nowadays. I don't think anyone could fault you for going either way, really, but I wouldn't eat Ramen noodles for a week to replace it, either.

I replaced it with a VX3 2.5X8 a few months ago. I have been very pleased and the rifle shoots well. 69 days and counting until it heads to Africa!

69 days and you are going to Africa! Exciting time for you sir! Start packing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg