Shot Placement Versus Bore Size

Major Khan

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Poton
I wish l was joking . It has been declared obsolete by the modern sportsman .
I guessed as much , when he was the only poster who opted for something in the .500 series , Kawshik , as well as opting for a double barreled rifle . IvW certainly and clearly speaks from extensive experience . His assessment matches very close to ours .

Major Khan

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
If I could custom load the 500 NE 3 1/4 inch to higher velocity of 2250 would be my dream.

Back to double versus bolt.

Big double would be preferable to bolt action for following up wounded elephant in thick bush, double is also better for follow up on wounded lion and leopard and during a charge, as you rarely have much time to reload a bolt in this situation.

Furthermore when conducting foot safaris in big 5 areas the double gives you the option to have a solid and a soft loaded and ready at the same time.
I have a fondness for double barreled rifles myself , as well . Through out my career , l have always used this gun.
FB_IMG_1575727193927.jpg
FB_IMG_1575727188171.jpg

It is a Belgian 12 calibre shot gun with 28 inch barrels , 3 inch chambers and extractors . The left barrel is a full choke , while the right barrel is modified choke . I used to use Eley Alphamax Lethal Ball cartridges ( 2.75 inch length ) inside the gun and it was very effective on forest panthers ( which you will know , as a hunting leopard ).
By the way , would you prefer your double barreled rifle to be a side by side or over under ?
I prefer side by side personally , but that is because l have been using a side by side weapon through out my whole life , since 1959.

Major Khan

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
I have made 1 interesting observation. None of the posters who had responded to my " questionnaire " chose any of the following calibres :
.425 Westley Richards
.458 Winchester magnum
.460 Weatherby magnum
.577 Nitro Express
.600 Nitro Express
These were the only calibres which received no mention at all . It is a good indication of the popularity ( or lack thereof) of these cartridges among modern sports men.

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
I have made 1 interesting observation. None of the posters who had responded to my " questionnaire " chose any of the following calibres :
.425 Westley Richards
.458 Winchester magnum
.460 Weatherby magnum
.577 Nitro Express
.600 Nitro Express
These were the only calibres which received no mention at all . It is a good indication of the popularity ( or lack thereof) of these cartridges among modern sports men.
The 460WBY, 577NE and 600NE kill on both ends which is possibly why they are yet to be mentioned.
The 425WR and 458WM aren't bad at all when it comes to recoil, maybe people just have better options in the vault.

Major Khan

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
The 460WBY, 577NE and 600NE kill on both ends which is possibly why they are yet to be mentioned.
The 425WR and 458WM aren't bad at all when it comes to recoil, maybe people just have better options in the vault.
That was the beauty of forcing them to only pick 2 choices for the vote , Bee Maa . It helped me to understand what a hunter's first choices would be .
Inadvertently , it also helped us to understand which cartridges are no one's first choice , these days.
I was hoping that some body here might mention a .500/416 Nitro Express double barreled rifle , because l have read a great deal about this calibre and the reports all seem to be positive.

Newboomer

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, SCI, American Legion, Freemasons
Hunted
RSA, Maine, Montana, Colorado, Texas, Alaska, California.
Fascinating and very fair minded article, Major Khan. When can we expect an article on plains game rifle preferences and on shotguns? Yes, sadly, the Win Silvertip and the Rem Corelokt are relegated to history. There are many modern rounds that are superior ( in some people's minds). Some of us oldtimers who grew up using them have to wonder, though.

Major Khan

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Fascinating and very fair minded article, Major Khan. When can we expect an article on plains game rifle preferences and on shotguns? Yes, sadly, the Win Silvertip and the Rem Corelokt are relegated to history. There are many modern rounds that are superior ( in some people's minds). Some of us oldtimers who grew up using them have to wonder, though.
Thank you very much , Newboomer for enjoying my article. When 1 tries to write about a particular subject , it is imperative that 1 must approach the subject matter with a very open mind.
You will forgive me for the delay . I have been away on a rabbit hunt today ( a highly successful 1 , and l will share some photographs day after tomorrow on this beautiful site ) . While l very much love posting about hunting on this site with all you fine gentlemen , l must admit that l love actual hunting just a tad bit more.
The article on plains game rifle cartridges , l will write tomorrow night.
I am extremely depressed that the Winchester Silvertip soft point cartridge is no longer being manufactured. Nothing crumpled a royal Bengal tiger, like a .375 Holland & Holland magnum Winchester Silvertip 300 grain soft point bullet.
Remington Core Lokt is gone too ?

Wyatt Smith

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Remington Corelokt are still in production. And my choice for cup and core bullets. I like the 180 grain pointed soft points in my 30-06. They have the same point of impact as my Speer hot-core reloads.

edward

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
safari club,nra,d.s.c.
Hunted
south africa and zimbabwe.alaska and several lower 48 states.
I love your choice , Master Smith . A .375 Holland & Holland magnum calibre Winchester Model 70 is the best perfect bolt rifle , in my view. If you use a good quality expanding bullet and a double lung shot from the broadside position , then l can guarantee your your buffalo.
I wholeheartedly support your dream. I am saving my funds to go to Namibia and shoot a blue Wildebeest and an African lion and getting to try a .416 Remington magnum calibre Winchester Model 70 ( my dream rifle to fire ) before l turn 83.
And by God , l am determined to succeed .
at 81 i wish you all the luck in the world.monkey see monkey do!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Konstantuslzz

Latest profile posts

Tally-Ho Hunting Safaris wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J