Scrub bull hunt Northern Territory

Thanks VG
Magnificent knives - balanced beautifully and as sharp as my wife’s tongue (or Fierce Jess’s)

SPALTING

Spalting
is any form of wood coloration caused by fungi. Found primarily in dead trees with Pigmentation being caused when fungi produce extracellular pigments inside wood. Dark dotting, winding lines and thin streaks of red, brown and black are known as zone lines. This type of spalting does not occur due to any specific type of fungus, but is instead an interaction zone in which different fungi have erected barriers to protect their resources.
Conditions required for spalting are the same as the conditions required for fungal growth: fixed nitrogen, micronutrients, water, warm temperatures and oxygen.
Water: Wood must be saturated to a 20% mointure content or higher for fungal colonization to occur. Wood placed underwater lacks sufficient oxygen, and colonization cannot occur.
Temperature: The majority of fungi prefer warm temperatures between 10 and 40 °C, with rapid growth occurring between 20 and 32 °C.
Oxygen: Fungi do not require much oxygen, but conditions such as waterlogging will inhibit growth.

Excellent and thanks

Von Gruff, I saw a Spalted Eucalypt here before but I thought the pattern was more spotted pattern in the timber. Would that be right?
They are all nice I just remembered that one . I also did not know what Spalted was I assumed it was a type/family’s of Eucalypt,
There can be spots but generally there are streaks that follow some of the feed lines on the tree, and most tree types will spalt under the right conditions of wet, and heat often aided by leaf litter etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EstebanO84

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair
Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!