AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, Houston Safari Club, SCI,NRA
Hunted
Alaska, Mexico, Inuvik NWT, Canada, Yukon, BC, Argentina, Limpopo, SA,Namibia, Africa
I have 2 questions from all the "Soothsayers" on this site . I am purchasing a .375H&H and can't make up my mind of scopes. I have narrowed it down to 3:

1.Leupold VX HD 1.5x5
2. Swarovski Z6i 1.7-10x42
3. Z8i 1.7-13.3x42
Here are my questions...On the Swarovski Z8i is the glass that much better where you can tell the difference from the Z6i for $1,000 more?
Is the Swarovski that much better than the Leupold?
Generally my situation will be when hunting in Africa for Dangerous game my tracker will be carrying the .375 and I will be carrying my 470NE. I would much like getting within 100yd or less using my double. If the situation calls for over 100yds to 300yds I would be using my .375
I would be using a turret on my Scope probably max out at 300yds.

Question 2
I do not reload anymore but use factory ammunition. I am thinking of using in my .375 H&H a 300gr Barnes TSX, Swift a frame,Norma Oryx or Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claw. Depending which is available ?

Reactions: FLC
Given your options I’d go with the 1.7-10. I’ve used it a lot on rental rifles. With illumination it’s a great scope and I like Swarovski’s illumination switch much better than Leupold’s button. However, non-illuminated I find Swarovski’s crosshairs way too fine. They don’t draw your attention to center especially on a dark object like Leupold does. For the price and hunting conditions I don’t find Swarovski glass in a scope any more functional than Leupold. For judging horns typically the light to judge disappears before the light to shoot. For leopard, I could understand the need though but not buffalo. The two animals I’ve taken in the least light have been hyena and bushpig. With just your eye, you question if it’s really there, but I could see clear enough with a 1.5-5 non-illuminated Leupold to shoot. Is there a reason the Leupold VX5 2-10 didn’t make your list?

Any of the bullets listed would be fine. My choice in order would be TBBC, swift A Frame, Barnes then Norma oryx last. I don’t think the oryx falls into the same class as other 3 bullets, more with woodleigh and hornady DGX. I previously thought swift A frames were the best bullet made but after a safari with trophy bonded bear claw, I think they are slightly better. They performed equally well at all angles, shots at distance, and finishing shots. I’ve seen slight differences in swift bullets based on the animal shot.

I hunted many safaris with a Leupold 1.5x5, I now use a Leupold VX5 in 2x10. I did so because often times I would decide to shoot at something out around 200+ yards and the extra magnification helps my older eyes. As to ammo, I have had tremendous success with Barnes TSX, Swift A-frames, and Hornady DGX on buffalo. On one trip to Zimbabwe they came up with an extra tuskless tag, so I took a tuskless with Barnes TSX 300 grain out of my 375H&H.

I put the Leupold 1.5 x 5 with the firedot reticle on my model 70 .375 Safari Express and I really like it. The firedot really helps me acquire my target quickly. I feel the glass is good enough for me in most any hunting situation I expect to find myself in, the VX5 2 x10 option would also be good to give a little more reach for distance shots possibly but I rarely find I use most of my other scopes set higher than about 6X anyway.

I took my buffalo this past June with this combo using Barnes TSX 300gr factory ammo. I hit the buffalo with one shot through the heart at 70 yards and he was done. My rifle grouped the Barnes really well, I sighted it in at 1" high at 50 yards. I also tried some TSX 350 gr loads and they did well also but dropped about 1.5" at 50 yards compared to the 300 gr that I had sighted the rifle in for using. I also got several boxes of Swift 300 gr Aframes, they grouped well but about 1.5 " to the left of where I had the rifle sighted with the Barnes and my PH said he preferred Barnes TSX so that was what I used but I could have sighted for any of the three loads and they would have worked very well. I plan to use my .375 with either the Barnes or Swift 300gr this next June in Botswana on eland.

My safari partner shoots a M70 safari 375 , 300gr TSX , 3-9x50 leupold @ .75 inch
that was his one rifle he took to Zimbabwe, buffalo, eland , waterbuck, ect
he slayed all his buffalo with open sight, but has high praise for 3-9 for plains game and says he would prefer I don’t put my leupold 2-7x44 on my new 375 ruger !
his father had terrible issues using hornady ammo and lost a buffalo using it .
300gr tsx or ttsx seems to be a heavy favorite as a good option for a general purpose in Africa

Last edited:
I love the barnes vort-tx 300gr factory load for 375 H&H...

I hand load.. but have intentionally built my load to replicate factory vor-tx performance (same brass, same bullet, same speed, etc).. its absolutely devastating performance wise.. and shoots exceptionally well (both reliable and accurate) out of my Win 70..

I would certainly use 300 gr. Swift A Frame ammo. Remington has loaded this in their Safari Grade line. You may be able to find some.

No PH I know would allow you to shoot a buffalo at 300 yards, so the need for a scope would not require any high magnification. I have a Leupold VX 2-7X Duplex on my .375 and a Leupold VX6HDi 1-6X with No. 4 illuminated on my 404J. Both work well. I have also used the VX3 1.5 - 5X Leupold and it performs well.

Your Z6 has more than enough magnification. I have a Z8 1-8 on mine and the 8 power is more than I need. The glass is the same, you are paying for the mechanics and extra optics to go to 10x. Regarding the loads, try Hendershots in Swift A frame and Barnes both in 300 weight. I shoot the Barnes 250 TSX in mine and is certainly a good PG load and my rifle loves it. Just my 2 cents

Your Z6 has more than enough magnification. I have a Z8 1-8 on mine and the 8 power is more than I need. The glass is the same, you are paying for the mechanics and extra optics to go to 10x. Regarding the loads, try Hendershots in Swift A frame and Barnes both in 300 weight. I shoot the Barnes 250 TSX in mine and is certainly a good PG load and my rifle loves it. Just my 2 cents
I agree 100% with your 2 cents. The Z6i 1.7-10x42. I will speak with Hendershots about a 300gr Swift A frame and the Barnes TSX. Get a box of each and see which one performs the best.
Again thanks for your 2 cents. Its appreciated !!!!!

I've had (now) an old 1.5-5x20mm Leupold in Talley bases and rings on my .375H&H for close to 1,000 rounds without hiccup. I dropped my nicest Warthog yet at 200 yards using that glass. I've never looked through Swarovski glass as I inherently know that afterwards I'll want one.

I've been recommending Federal Premium A-Frame factory ammo (I handload A-Frames) as it is true to its stated MV, consistent in its MV, and A-Frames just work.

I've had (now) an old 1.5-5x20mm Leupold in Talley bases and rings on my .375H&H for close to 1,000 rounds without hiccup. I dropped my nicest Warthog yet at 200 yards using that glass. I've never looked through Swarovski glass as I inherently know that afterwards I'll want one.

I've been recommending Federal Premium A-Frame factory ammo (I handload A-Frames) as it is true to its stated MV, consistent in its MV, and A-Frames just work.
If you like your 1.5-5 Leupold I don’t think you’ll be that impressed by the Swarovski. I bought one and sold it. The crosshairs are just too fine regardless how good the glass is non-illuminated. I’m confident I can take shots with non-illuminated Leupold later than non-illuminated Swarovski. Binoculars however the Swarovski glass shows.

I am a Nightforce guy. I was told by the owner of my local long range gun shop not to get Nightforces 1-8x and he is a pretty avid Nighforce guy also, i am confused

I put a Leupold 1-6X24 Firedot scope on my Model 70 375H&H and another of the same scope on my 416 Rigby Big Game.
I agree with the other posters about 300 gr. Federal Swift A-Frame--or Trophy Bonded Bear Claw--if you can get it. It's showing "unavailable" on the Federal website, but you can get it if you click on the Custom Shop and special order it.

I have a Leupold 1-5x24 VX5 HD and a few of the Swarovski 1.7-10x42 Plex ( Gen 2 Reticle ). These are non-illuminated reticles.

It is important to note Gen 2 on the Swarovski reticle. A few years ago there were still Gen 1 Plex reticles in the retail system. I had the experience of receiving 2 of these as Demo's through retailers. They were not advertised as Gen 1, I sent both back. To me the Gen 1 is Much too thin for low light. The difference between the Gen 1 & 2 is substantial regarding reticle visibility. The 1.7-10x42 Plex (Gen 2) might be my favorite 2nd focal low light higher powered non-illuminated scopes. I have them on rifles of smaller than .375 bore.

The Leupold 1-5x24 VX5 HD non-illuminated Duplex seems to compare well optically to a few of the upper end lower powered European variables that I have.

I like the illuminated reticles of the Swarovski Z6 1-6x24 #4 and the Schmidt & Bender Zenith 1.1-4x24 FlashDot #7. And certainly no complaints as to their optical performance.

I have a Leupold 1-5x24 VX5 HD and a few of the Swarovski 1.7-10x42 Plex ( Gen 2 Reticle ). These are non-illuminated reticles.

It is important to note Gen 2 on the Swarovski reticle. A few years ago there were still Gen 1 Plex reticles in the retail system. I had the experience of receiving 2 of these as Demo's through retailers. They were not advertised as Gen 1, I sent both back. To me the Gen 1 is Much too thin for low light. The difference between the Gen 1 & 2 is substantial regarding reticle visibility. The 1.7-10x42 Plex (Gen 2) might be my favorite 2nd focal low light higher powered non-illuminated scopes. I have them on rifles of smaller than .375 bore.

The Leupold 1-5x24 VX5 HD non-illuminated Duplex seems to compare well optically to a few of the upper end lower powered European variables that I have.

I like the illuminated reticles of the Swarovski Z6 1-6x24 #4 and the Schmidt & Bender Zenith 1.1-4x24 FlashDot #7. And certainly no complaints as to their optical performance.
I am 98% convinced to go with the Z6i 1.7-10x42 (Gen 2) Swarovski scope instead of the Z8i 1.7-13.3x42 on my .375. I am a fan on Swarovski because of their warranty; if anything ever goes wrong or bad. They stand behind their products 100%. I also feel Leupold is very good but Swarovski has better glass and feel their scopes and other products are just steps beyond Leupold.

I am 98% convinced to go with the Z6i 1.7-10x42 (Gen 2) Swarovski scope instead of the Z8i 1.7-13.3x42 on my .375. I am a fan on Swarovski because of their warranty; if anything ever goes wrong or bad. They stand behind their products 100%. I also feel Leupold is very good but Swarovski has better glass and feel their scopes and other products are just steps beyond Leupold.
I have a couple questions to pose upon you:
1. Why didn't you purchase the Z6i 1.7-10x42 Illuminated (Gen 2)
2. How suitable is the z6i on a .375 H&H shooting out to a max distance of 300yds
Thanks for your input

I’m in the process of fitting scopes for an upcoming hunt next May. Both my son and I are shooting Blaser R8 rifles with 2 barrels. I have several Swarovski Z6i 1.7-10x42 and Z8i 1-8x24 illuminated scopes. The .375 H&H barrels will get the Z8i 1-8x24 for buffalo and the 300 Win Mag barrels will get the Z6i 1.7-10x42 for PG.

I had not really thought too much about shooting the .375 H&H out to 300 yards but will ensure we get some practice in the next few months, it will be interesting to see how the Z8i 1-8x24 performs for shots at this distance.

I still own about 10 Swarovski 1.5-6x42 scopes (steel body) these were my standard hunting scopes from over 30 years ago on every rifle I hunted with, I never found the 6 x magnification a limiting factor despite regularly shooting in the 400+ yard range.

My experience in hunting with the Z6i 1.7-10x42 on .308 and .338 win mag rifles at ranges way past 300 yards has all been amazingly positive. You should have no issue or concern about this scope for 300 yard use.

My preference for the 1x magnification on my Z8 scopes for the .375 H&H is purely for very close in shooting which may always be a possibility with dangerous game.

We plan on 300 grain Barnes TSX ammo which was the recommendation of our guide / PH.

I have the Swaro Z6 1.7-10x42 Gen 2 mounted on a 8x57JS custom Mauser rifle that I own. I find it to be a great scope and cannot fault it, perhaps other than the fact that it is not illuminated!

I intentionally chose the non illuminated version as I prefer the streamlined look of it without the illumination control.

I have a couple questions to pose upon you:
1. Why didn't you purchase the Z6i 1.7-10x42 Illuminated (Gen 2)
2. How suitable is the z6i on a .375 H&H shooting out to a max distance of 300yds
Thanks for your input
In regards to myself, I was not into illumination at the time. I preferred 1st Focal Plane heavier reticles. Plus, I did not care to spend the extra money on an addition that I did not think necessary. I have several scopes now that are illuminated, 1st and 2nd focal plane. Mostly because that was what was offered. And when it is almost real dark, the illumination can have some benefit.

I am a set and forget scope user. The dialing of the turrets for reliability of incremental accuracy or return to zero, I cannot speak to. Most all of 375 are sighted in approximately 2" high at 100 yards. Which would basically be hold on hair at 300 yards for anything that I would purposely be hunting with my 375's.
To me 10x would be more than adequate for 300 yard hunting.

My 10x scopes are on smaller calibers than 375. But, I would have no issue using the Swarovski 1.7-10x42 on a 375 if I want the extra magnification. The field of view at the low end, makes this a very versatile scope.

1.Leupold VX HD 1.5x5
2. Swarovski Z6i 1.7-10x42
3. Z8i 1.7-13.3x42
Here are my questions...On the Swarovski Z8i is the glass that much better where you can tell the difference from the Z6i for $1,000 more?
I am using swaro 1.7-10x42 on my 375, and am very happy with it.

Leupolds I dont have.
But I have other brands like meopta, vortex, sightron, etc on other rifle
What I can tell you Swaro has the best picture of them all. Next one, very good that I have is Zeiss diavary.
All in all, more you pay, more you will be satisfied with your scope.

If quality of glass needs to be checked, it could be done by the way of looking through the glass in dark hours, to compare. But you must have all three available on hand, or in local shop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JennyWilmo

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double