Scope suggestion for Zastava M70 in 8x57?

C. Stockwell

Reaction score
Hi all:

I'm probably going to buy a Zastava M70 bolt action in 8x57 soon. The gun is a little older, judging from the receiver being marked "YUGOSLAVIA" rather than "SERBIA." I'm mostly going to use the rifle for hunting here in New England.

I'm debating between a 1-6, 1-8, 2-12, or 2-16. I'd like to stick with a European brand because I own two Kahles scopes and they're quite nice. I also think a European scope from say Leica or Zeiss or Meopta would look right on this gun.

What do you all think?

Tanks

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
What hunting conditions? Are shots far or near?

C. Stockwell

Reaction score
What hunting conditions? Are shots far or near?

Depends on the property I'm on. Last year, I mostly hunted clear cuts that were about 200-400 yards across. That's about as far as my shooting abilities allow for. Edit: between cuts is usually dense brush; legal shooting hours are a half hour before dawn to a half hour after sunset.

Nevada Mike

AH veteran
Reaction score
You should do just fine with a lighter, smaller scope. I would choose the 1-6X. In fact I already have one with the fire-dot and like it. I hunt in some wide open areas and,ofthe scopes I have, none are more than 10X at max magnification.

Gottfries

Reaction score
I have the same rifle in 7x54 and use a Kahles csx 2,5-10x50 with low Talley qd rings. Fits perfectly and a very good scope for stalking in low light.

Sika98k

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Europe
Member of
Wild Deer Association of Ireland
Hunted
Kenya,Namibia, Croatia, Morocco Ireland,Scotland,Denmark, Romania, Sweden,Norway,Latvia,Germany,Hungary,
Meopta make a great scope in the R2 2-12x50. 1/2 an hour before dawn to half an hour after sunset , I would be looking at something with a larger objective, 40-42 up to 50.

C. Stockwell

Reaction score
Not only did I end up buying the M70, I also bought a M85 in 7.62x39. So, that settles the scope debate. The M85 will get a 1-6 and the M70 will get a 2-12.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SamualFulm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!
Pete0905 wrote on damundsen87's profile.
Hello
Is the Khales 1-6 still for sale?
Thanks
Josh