Scope suggestion for Zastava M70 in 8x57?

C. Stockwell

Reaction score
Hi all:

I'm probably going to buy a Zastava M70 bolt action in 8x57 soon. The gun is a little older, judging from the receiver being marked "YUGOSLAVIA" rather than "SERBIA." I'm mostly going to use the rifle for hunting here in New England.

I'm debating between a 1-6, 1-8, 2-12, or 2-16. I'd like to stick with a European brand because I own two Kahles scopes and they're quite nice. I also think a European scope from say Leica or Zeiss or Meopta would look right on this gun.

What do you all think?

What hunting conditions? Are shots far or near?

What hunting conditions? Are shots far or near?

Depends on the property I'm on. Last year, I mostly hunted clear cuts that were about 200-400 yards across. That's about as far as my shooting abilities allow for. Edit: between cuts is usually dense brush; legal shooting hours are a half hour before dawn to a half hour after sunset.

You should do just fine with a lighter, smaller scope. I would choose the 1-6X. In fact I already have one with the fire-dot and like it. I hunt in some wide open areas and,ofthe scopes I have, none are more than 10X at max magnification.

I have the same rifle in 7x54 and use a Kahles csx 2,5-10x50 with low Talley qd rings. Fits perfectly and a very good scope for stalking in low light.

Meopta make a great scope in the R2 2-12x50. 1/2 an hour before dawn to half an hour after sunset , I would be looking at something with a larger objective, 40-42 up to 50.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odoodevelopers

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross