Scope Recommendation - Swaro or Trijicon

Wow, that’s a shock.

Yes it was to us. Found out about it at DSC. We along with a couple other dealers submitted a special order request and 20 or so were shipped in. It is still in production in Europe just not on USA web as avaiable anymore. They said sales in US market was not enough to continue sending over. Unless there was a big enough order or request.

Reactions: WAB
Trijicon 1 to 6 power on that rifle. Anything else is just a waste of money. I'd probably opt for a swaro on a long range rig. Also the trijicon is illuminated but requires no batteries.

Philip, thanks for the reply. Your video is very informative. To your point about removing the scope: I currently have a Trijicon RMR Reflex Sight on a quick release mount. My intention is to use the reflex sight for buffalo, and to be able to switch to a 1-6/8 for plains game once the buffalo hunt is done. I would be interested in any thoughts you might have on reflex sights in general or on my approach specifically. In terms of my experience, my buffalo hunt will be third safari, but my first buffalo hunt. Thanks again.
I have a red dot on my double rifle but don't personally have any use for them on a bolt gun. Like I illustrate in the video I don't have trouble acquiring a target in a scope due to being brought up on iron sights. The 2x or 1.3x scopes I mention would be fine for me at any distance even right up close. Then I would be ready without sighting in to go hunt PG.
Another thought is what if you hunt your butt off and the last day you get a chance at a bull at 100yds and you have the red dot. Then what?
It is good fun to think anbout and plan a safari and AH is a great help. I've found that we all tend to over think many aspects of the safari.
Regards,
Philip

If you have terrible eyes like me, you will appreciate the Swarovski.

I am trying to decide on a new scope for my CZ in 416 Rigby. I will be using this rifle for buffalo and opportunistically on a couple or three plains game species. I currently have it set up with a Trijicon RMR on a quick release mount, and am planning to add a scope on quick release rings for situations where I am not hunting buffalo and stretching out to 150/200 yards.

I am considering either a Trijicon AccuPoint 1-6x24 or a Swarovski Z8i 1-8x24. Obviously, there is a big cost difference. Is the Swaro worth it? What would I be giving up or comprising on if I went with the Trijicon?

Thanks for the help.
KDF - I have a Swaro 3-9 x 36 and really like it’s trim, light weight, low profile….and of course the good glass but it is the Compact size that I really appreciate. I also own a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9 x 40 with illuminated “green dot” in center of standard duplex reticle - mounted to a Tikka .22-250 and used mostly for night hunting predators (Fox/Coyote). I like it because it requires No batteries (charged by tritium gas), is light and fairly trim/low profile, good glass and perfect for night hunting - that Green Dot gets on target fast vs. black cross hairs on a dark furred target at night = difficult…even when spotted with a red or green light. I’ve never found a need or want for Scopes powered over 14x and certainly Not for Fox/Coyote sized targets under 400 yrds. I guess prairie dogs at 400 yrds plus might benefit form 18x but i rarely shoot prarie dogs And found 14x “adequate” out to 300-325.

I started with criteria I wanted in a DG scope and made my choices from those requirements. One of my requirements that most (if not all) US made scopes don't have is a rail scope option. This was only available from Swaro, Zeiss, S&B and a few other European companies.

The Trijicon AccuPoint 1-6 would have been in the running, but I was looking to minimize the number of mechanical joints between the scope and the rifle for my application. I truly believe I would have been happy with the Trijicon if it had been in the running.

I chose the Swaro Z8i 1-8x24 with 4A-IF reticle and absolutely love it. As for the money, I've never thought about how much I spent on my scope when on a hunt.

1713987475131.png

There are also some good used options that pop up in the classifieds every now and then. Something like a Swaro Z6i 1-6x26 with EE would be a great option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rkcipl

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.