Scope/Mount choices for Browning X-Bolt 375 H&H

cactoman

Reaction score
What is the best scope and mount system for my rifle.
I don't know if I will get to Africa any time soon, but will be using short-term for Elk and Moose.
Thank you,

The best is a Talley or Warne QD. You should not skimp in this area. It's nice to have a good quality mount with rings that are repeatable when detached. If it has iron sights and it's being used for serious hunting of things that hunt back, get QD rings.

The best is a Talley or Warne QD. You should not skimp in this area. It's nice to have a good quality mount with rings that are repeatable when detached. If it has iron sights and it's being used for serious hunting of things that hunt back, get QD rings.
I've had really good results using Warne QR rings on a 375H&H.
No slippage and returned to zero every time.

The only other brand I'd add that @Forrest Halley didn't mention is Alaska Arms.

I have a set of quick release mounts from Leupold, Scope is a 2.5-8x36 vx3. no complaints, it returns to zero fine. This is a Win. mod. 70 Alaskan in .375 H&h

Follow up question. What is the minimum tube length using QR rings (Dimension B on the Leupold data page)

I highly recommend this: https://www.eurooptic.com/Leupold-VX-6HD-1-6x24mm-30mm-CDS-ZL2-Circle.aspx

I use the older version of the above scope on my 416 and its perfect for everything from DG to PG. turn it down to 1X and turn on the firedot and the scope turns into a red dot optic ideal for fast moving close game (also great for evening hunting). the top end of 6x is perfect for shots out to 300 yards which is all your ever going to ask of a 375/416.

-matt

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 8.52.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 8.52.26 AM.png
    765.4 KB · Views: 63
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 8.52.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 8.52.28 AM.png
    718.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 8.52.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 8.52.30 AM.png
    379.4 KB · Views: 70
matt...that is a very nice scope, but it is far out of my price range. 2.5-8 x 36 above is more in my price point.

Perhaps a little too general (or maybe not), but steel rings are all pretty much the same from the big players. It comes down to permanent or QD.

I would pay most attention to eye relief on the scope and seek out the ones with more generous relief. The x bolt is a light rifle so the recoil is going to knock you around a bit.

matt...that is a very nice scope, but it is far out of my price range. 2.5-8 x 36 above is more in my price point.

I have this scope on my 375. It’s fantastic in full light and definitely adequate in low light. VX5 and 6 glass is markedly better but they don’t really make a comparably compact scope in those lines. If they would just put VX5 guts into this scope you’d have a pretty perfect do-everything scope.

I use Talley QR rings. The X-bolt has no iron sighs correct? If not there’s less reason to have QR. if you use Talley fixed rings and ever decide you want QR just buy the levers from Talley. You replace two screws with the levers and they are QR.

A good optic can really make a gun shine, while a bad one can ruin a hunt (or worse get you killed). I would recommend saving up for a better optic rather than buying an inferior one.

$900 isnt over the top for a decent optic and i have NEVER regretted putting that optic on my 416! The average price for a decent optic these days runs around $600-$1500. Thanks to the 1-6 range ive been able to bag game ranging from 10ft to 200yd and ive done quite well in some large bore shooting competitions. The pig in my avatar has a 416 RM balanced on his nose :giggle:.

Winchester M70: $1200 + Leupold VX 6 1-6x24: $900 + Talley QD rings: $100 = Having a 1x scope with a red dot at night while surrounded by Hyena looking to steal a hunters fresh buffalo kill = PRICELESS! (a fond memory from years ago)

-matt

Last edited:
Off topic here, but how does your X Bolt cycle those .375s. I have an A Bolt .338 and cycles those rounds great. Thanks!

It has iron sights, yes. Cycles just fine.

Have gotten a Leupold VX-3i 1.5-5 scope and QD mounts for it. Pretty decent, and doesn't cost a thousand dollars.

Thank you all for your input

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois