Scope choice for a Ruger #1

Andrews

AH member
Reaction score
Media
I picked up a Boddington edition Ruger #1 about 6 months ago chambered in 7x57. I've been getting used to the rifle by using irons and shooting out to 100 yards. I am wanting to scope it now though and need some advice for a scope. With the somewhat more forward mounts of the #1, what scope do yall recommend? Wanting no more than 8 or 9 maximum and the lighter weight the better. Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-03 at 12.08.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-03 at 12.08.01 PM.png
    576.2 KB · Views: 249
I have that same rifle. One of my favorites. Incredibly effective with 175gr Partitions. This is a Leupold 1.5-5 in Leupold Low Matte rings. Like my scopes mounted low. I swapped the fixed rear Boddington sight for a standard folding No 1 sight. Perfect eye relief and no need for extension rings. 5x has proven to be plenty of magnification for my hunting out to 250 yards. Just returned from a hunt in So Africa with this rifle. What a pleasure to carry.

zzhD3GOrRyK4GxSEzkZ16g.jpg

Without knowing what you plan on doing with the rifle or how well is shoots is hard to pass on good advice. Personally I wouldn't spend a lot of money on a scope for a rifle that wouldn't shoot a minute of angle, now if it puts three shoots thru one hole at 100 yards it's time to talk serious glass.

A08ABF27-294D-4FCF-AF44-F1EB3FD38534.jpeg
Doesn’t sound like this is your scope but the reason I am posting is so you can see the rings that Ruger makes that set any scope back for you.

I think you have the power range about right but it depends what you plan on using it for. Based on the attributes of the round, a 2.5-8X Leupold would probably be my first choice, but a 1-6X Swarovski or Zeiss would be a heck of a combo if you wanted top end glass.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I've been learning towards the Leupold 1.5x5. I envision the rifle as being mostly just a spot and stalk whitetail setup. I had a VX3i 3.5-10x40 laying around I threw on just to see how it felt and I have to creep up the stock to get a good sight picture. It may be the detachable Talley rings that came with the rifle though. They seem a bit taller than I like.

Agreed. I found the Talley’s to be too high and force an awkward check weld. I have 2 No 1s with Leupold 1.5-5s and they both shoot MoA out to any reasonable hunting range. The scopes have proven to be 100% reliable despite numerous flights. The low Leupold rings and folding rear sight are the ticket. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg