shuter

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Website
www.roboliveauthor.com
Media
Hunted
Oregon, Montana
Well, I’ve decided to part with my beautiful, custom .458 Lott Ruger RSM. I purchased this rifle very lightly used in 2015 and immediately sent it off to Wayne at American Hunting Rifles to have some work done that would make it “perfect”. This RSM is now strengthened and weather-proofed, with function checked by one of the top experts in the DG rifle field. Here is a summary of Wayne’s work:

I wanted a complete, spare stock, in case the original ever cracked (since the RSM is obviously no longer produced), and found one at Numrich. I sent Wayne that stock to do his phenomenal bedding job on. The figure is better than the original stock, and I figured I could always re-install the factory stock if this one broke. That's highly unlikely, however. Wayne installed a second crossbolt, bedded the forward (loose) recoil lug into the stock, and installed aluminum pillars in the trigger guard holes. He also installed a rear swivel stud and grip cap in the new stock. That leaves a COMPLETE, ready to install, spare stock available.

In addition to the extensive bedding work (pics attached), Wayne did the following:

Set trigger pull weight at 4#.

Installed Kick-EEZ magnum recoil pad - a huge improvement over stock pad.

Installed Graco 14 oz. recoil reducer in buttstock. Balance is now perfect and weight has been added (yet the reducer is removable, if desired).

Installed NECG white bead front sight.

Performed an "action job", whereby he checked function and smoothed/polished everything up.

Applied a beautiful, super-tough, highly functional matte black Gun Kote finish to all metal.

I’ve only fired a total of 40 rounds through the rifle in the 4 years since (soon after I got it back, after which it was put away in the safe). So why am I selling it? I still plan on getting to Africa someday, but not in the foreseeable future, unfortunately; and when I do go, I don’t see myself hunting anything that requires a Lott (I have a nice Model 70 .375 H&H as well). Thus, I’ve made the decision to sell this beautiful rifle.

In addition to the complete, ready-to-install spare stock, I have a number of other Ruger spare parts that will be included (full set of spare action/bottom metal screws, recoil plate, crossbolt, etc.), which I ordered from Numrich (that’s how my mind works with a rifle that’s no longer produced…I wanted spares, “just in case”).

Also included:

Set of 30mm Ruger rings

Set of 1-inch Ruger rings

Redding 3-die set for .458 Lott

Lee Factory Crimp die for .458 Lott

60 pieces of Norma .458 Lott brass (20 new & 40 once-fired)

*The scope and sling in the photos are NOT included*

This beautiful rifle is literally in as-new (though much better than new) condition. Here’s your chance to pick up a “perfected” American Hunting Rifles custom Ruger RSM in .458 Lott with a complete spare stock assembly, without having to find a nice base rifle, ship it off, wait for several months, search around for parts, etc.

I’m looking for $3,500, shipped to your FFL dealer, anywhere in the United States. That will merely recoup my investment in the rifle. If you've been thinking about getting an RSM in .458 Lott that's "fixed", this is the one. I can assure you that the rifle is exactly as I’ve described it, and I have an itemized receipt from American Hunting Rifles for the work Wayne did. Somebody buy this thing and enjoy it! Thanks for looking!
IMG_3489[2].jpg
IMG_3474[2].jpg
IMG_3475[2].jpg
IMG_3478[2].jpg
IMG_3479[2].jpg
IMG_3480.jpg
IMG_3481.jpg
IMG_3484.jpg
IMG_3485.jpg
IMG_3496.jpg
IMG_3497.jpg
IMG_3500.jpg
IMG_3501.jpg
IMG_3518.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
No one looking for one of the nicest RSMs in .458 Lott that you’ll ever find?

No one looking for one of the nicest RSMs in .458 Lott that you’ll ever find?
Oh I'm sure lots of folks looking, but I think most of us addicts have hunts to pay for this summer! That's a very nice rifle though

I would very much like to have this RSM. I do not have that kind of money to spend on one at this time. I think the Ruger RSM rifles are extremely high quality. I just bought a 416 and a 375 from members here.

Installation of the second crossbolt and Wayne's bedding job, along with the Gunkote finish, should make this RSM "bulletproof".

Well, I’ve decided to part with my beautiful, custom .458 Lott Ruger RSM. I purchased this rifle very lightly used in 2015 and immediately sent it off to Wayne at American Hunting Rifles to have some work done that would make it “perfect”. This RSM is now strengthened and weather-proofed, with function checked by one of the top experts in the DG rifle field. Here is a summary of Wayne’s work:

I wanted a complete, spare stock, in case the original ever cracked (since the RSM is obviously no longer produced), and found one at Numrich. I sent Wayne that stock to do his phenomenal bedding job on. The figure is better than the original stock, and I figured I could always re-install the factory stock if this one broke. That's highly unlikely, however. Wayne installed a second crossbolt, bedded the forward (loose) recoil lug into the stock, and installed aluminum pillars in the trigger guard holes. He also installed a rear swivel stud and grip cap in the new stock. That leaves a COMPLETE, ready to install, spare stock available.

In addition to the extensive bedding work (pics attached), Wayne did the following:

Set trigger pull weight at 4#.

Installed Kick-EEZ magnum recoil pad - a huge improvement over stock pad.

Installed Graco 14 oz. recoil reducer in buttstock. Balance is now perfect and weight has been added (yet the reducer is removable, if desired).

Installed NECG white bead front sight.

Performed an "action job", whereby he checked function and smoothed/polished everything up.

Applied a beautiful, super-tough, highly functional matte black Gun Kote finish to all metal.

I’ve only fired a total of 40 rounds through the rifle in the 4 years since (soon after I got it back, after which it was put away in the safe). So why am I selling it? I still plan on getting to Africa someday, but not in the foreseeable future, unfortunately; and when I do go, I don’t see myself hunting anything that requires a Lott (I have a nice Model 70 .375 H&H as well). Thus, I’ve made the decision to sell this beautiful rifle.

In addition to the complete, ready-to-install spare stock, I have a number of other Ruger spare parts that will be included (full set of spare action/bottom metal screws, recoil plate, crossbolt, etc.), which I ordered from Numrich (that’s how my mind works with a rifle that’s no longer produced…I wanted spares, “just in case”).

Also included:

Set of 30mm Ruger rings

Set of 1-inch Ruger rings

Redding 3-die set for .458 Lott

Lee Factory Crimp die for .458 Lott

60 pieces of Norma .458 Lott brass (20 new & 40 once-fired)

*The scope and sling in the photos are NOT included*

This beautiful rifle is literally in as-new (though much better than new) condition. Here’s your chance to pick up a “perfected” American Hunting Rifles custom Ruger RSM in .458 Lott with a complete spare stock assembly, without having to find a nice base rifle, ship it off, wait for several months, search around for parts, etc.

I’m looking for $3,500, shipped to your FFL dealer, anywhere in the United States. That will merely recoup my investment in the rifle. If you've been thinking about getting an RSM in .458 Lott that's "fixed", this is the one. I can assure you that the rifle is exactly as I’ve described it, and I have an itemized receipt from American Hunting Rifles for the work Wayne did. Somebody buy this thing and enjoy it! Thanks for looking!
View attachment 286709 View attachment 286242 View attachment 286243 View attachment 286246 View attachment 286247 View attachment 286248 View attachment 286249 View attachment 286252 View attachment 286253 View attachment 286710 View attachment 286711 View attachment 286712 View attachment 286713 View attachment 286714
Do you know what the rifle weights now with a scope?

Do you know what the rifle weights now with a scope?
12 lbs. Removing Graco unit gets it down to about 11. Weighs what a factory original RSM in .458 Lott would weigh. Only added weight (other than removable mercury recoil reducer) is a few ounces of bedding material.

Do you accept kidneys? Really wish that I had the funds for this one. Only have guns and scopes I could barter with, but no cash. It sure does appear to be a fine rifle though, sir.
No organs accepted! Looking to just sell this beauty, rather than trade. Thanks

Price drop to $3,200 shipped to your FFL in U.S. Somebody on AH needs this .458 Lott!

Any interest out there for this unique, custom .458 Lott? Wayne at American Hunting Rifles is a true master of dangerous game rifles, and is no longer building Ruger RSM's, so...

The thing is literally in perfect condition. Don't miss out!

I would buy this RSM if I had that kind of spare money. I would greatly appreciate this rifle. Is there anything you would be interested in trading?

Any interest out there for this unique, custom .458 Lott? Wayne at American Hunting Rifles is a true master of dangerous game rifles, and is no longer building Ruger RSM's, so...

Wayne did almost the same job to my RSM in .458 Lott, except with the original stock and a fiber front sight. It came back a vastly, vastly improved rifle.

I would buy this RSM if I had that kind of spare money. I would greatly appreciate this rifle. Is there anything you would be interested in trading?
I'm sorry James, but I'm looking to pare down my collection. Thank you for your interest, however.

Beautiful rifle. I wish I had the current funds to buy it. But, would you or anyone else here know why Wayne isn’t doing the Rugers anymore as opposed to other rifles? Just curious?

Beautiful rifle. I wish I had the current funds to buy it. But, would you or anyone else here know why Wayne isn’t doing the Rugers anymore as opposed to other rifles? Just curious?
I don't know, but my guess would be that they're more labor intensive to bed, etc. than the CZ's that he normally builds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg