Schmidt and Bender Hungaria scope

Quaticman

AH veteran
Joined
Feb 20, 2018
Messages
178
Reaction score
441
Location
Kitchener
Media
26
Hunted
Namibia
Does anyone have any feedback on the Schmidt and Bender Hungaria line of riflescopes? These scopes are very economically priced, just wondering if the glass is any good.
The 1.25-4x20 looks like it may be a decent dangerous game scope.
wp-content.jpg
 
Same glass as the German ones, I think you would be hard pressed to find any difference. I have 3 of the German , a zenith and a couple Klassik, would be happy with a Hungarian as well if one came up.
 
Same scope, so far as I know. Lower production costs in Hungary. I have an 8x56 Klassik Hungaria and it is a very nice optic.
 
I purchased a Hungarian 8x56 online.
It cost me about 2 days research and the sales price.

For all I could find out it's the same glass assembled in Hungary. Lower production costs.

But, the 8x56 Hungarian is a 30mm tube and I believe the German assembled version is a 25mm tube.

I have never mounted mine. I should and I should compare it to my Kahles 8x56, the standard spotlighting scopes are measured by in Australia. I may be using it soon
 
Another option may be the Meopta 7x56 for those looking for a 8x56. I had one with the illuminated 4 reticle and man what a brilliant scope. I wouldn't have a preference between that one and the German Schmidt 8x56,.

I have used an Rd Meopta as well as their meostar and man they have nice glass.

Love the Schmidt variables though. Nicest scopes I have ever looked through, for my eyes.

Rugged too. Limited adjustments with their zenith and Klassik lines vs their pm2 types though. Not sure on their newest models like the polar and others.
 
Last edited:
@CBH Australia:But, the 8x56 Hungarian is a 30mm tube and I believe the German assembled version is a 25mm tube.

No, the German version is 30 mm too.

Apart from 6 PM II's with 34mm I have a 3/12x42 Klassik and 3/12x50 Klassik in use, since 1996 and 1999. Nothing wrong with them!
 
My understanding is the made in Hungary ones are not for export to the USA, but arrive here as “ parallel imports,” (grey market).
 
The Canadian importer, Wolverine supplies, has both the German and Hungarian available . Difference in price and usually different models.
 
I actually ordered mine from a (Verified) English site on special. I got a good deal and below what the current Hungarian listing is in Australia.

Where I can find a German made 8x56 listed it might be 30-40% more expensive than a Hungaria model
 
@CBH Australia:But, the 8x56 Hungarian is a 30mm tube and I believe the German assembled version is a 25mm tube.

No, the German version is 30 mm too.

Apart from 6 PM II's with 34mm I have a 3/12x42 Klassik and 3/12x50 Klassik in use, since 1996 and 1999. Nothing wrong with them!
Jan,

The S&B website shows 2 listed as 1" would be 25.4mm

Also there are 2 listed as 30mm.

Was sure about what I read and only repeat what I know to be correct.

Far from an expert and my only S&B is a Hungaria bought on a whim. I would like a real S&B and might look into one for some range work. I'm hoping they are the right compromise between reliability and clarity. I want good glass.




Screenshot_20211217_101455.jpg
 
I cannot see past schmidt and bender. For a rugged hunting scope with great light gathering ability they are fantastic. I have 3 Hungarian S&B's, all bought second hand and I haven't had an issue with any of them.
 
Another option may be the Meopta 7x56 for those looking for a 8x56. I had one with the illuminated 4 reticle and man what a brilliant scope. I wouldn't have a preference between that one and the German Schmidt 8x56,.

I have used an Rd Meopta as well as their meostar and man they have nice glass.

Love the Schmidt variables though. Nicest scopes I have ever looked through, for my eyes.

Rugged too. Limited adjustments with their zenith and Klassik lines vs their pm2 types though. Not sure on their newest models like the polar and others.


Both Zeiss and Meopta made a 7x50 scope also, rare to find but search for one. Ill reticle in them also.
 
Both Zeiss and Meopta made a 7x50 scope also, rare to find but search for one. Ill reticle in them also.
The Meopta 7x50 was available in Australia.
I've read a review and seen one available on a rifle
 
Does anyone have any feedback on the Schmidt and Bender Hungaria line of riflescopes? These scopes are very economically priced, just wondering if the glass is any good.
The 1.25-4x20 looks like it may be a decent dangerous game scope.View attachment 439599
#1 choice of US Marine snipers
 
I googled tonight scopes snipers use and this came up as #1
 
Several years ago. S&B was award a contract. I think this contract was a driving reason of having a S&B service center in the USA.
I was aware of USMC using Unertls and Redfields, then more recently Leupolds. When did they start using S&B?
 
Does anyone have any feedback on the Schmidt and Bender Hungaria line of riflescopes? These scopes are very economically priced, just wondering if the glass is any good.
The 1.25-4x20 looks like it may be a decent dangerous game scope.View attachment 439599

That 1.25-4 is a nice looking piece of glass. The others are sporting too big of an objective for my use, not to say they aren’t worthy.
 
Great glass but clunky features and styling IMO.
 
I have a fixed power 6x Hungaria with #4 reticle and have used it a lot, including one safari to Namibia. Perfect performance, and I like the clean, simple style and functional design.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,275
Messages
1,571,358
Members
169,342
Latest member
ShennaXgk
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top