Schmidt and Bender Hungaria scope

Quaticman

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Namibia
Does anyone have any feedback on the Schmidt and Bender Hungaria line of riflescopes? These scopes are very economically priced, just wondering if the glass is any good.
The 1.25-4x20 looks like it may be a decent dangerous game scope.
wp-content.jpg

Same glass as the German ones, I think you would be hard pressed to find any difference. I have 3 of the German , a zenith and a couple Klassik, would be happy with a Hungarian as well if one came up.

Same scope, so far as I know. Lower production costs in Hungary. I have an 8x56 Klassik Hungaria and it is a very nice optic.

I purchased a Hungarian 8x56 online.
It cost me about 2 days research and the sales price.

For all I could find out it's the same glass assembled in Hungary. Lower production costs.

But, the 8x56 Hungarian is a 30mm tube and I believe the German assembled version is a 25mm tube.

I have never mounted mine. I should and I should compare it to my Kahles 8x56, the standard spotlighting scopes are measured by in Australia. I may be using it soon

Another option may be the Meopta 7x56 for those looking for a 8x56. I had one with the illuminated 4 reticle and man what a brilliant scope. I wouldn't have a preference between that one and the German Schmidt 8x56,.

I have used an Rd Meopta as well as their meostar and man they have nice glass.

Love the Schmidt variables though. Nicest scopes I have ever looked through, for my eyes.

Rugged too. Limited adjustments with their zenith and Klassik lines vs their pm2 types though. Not sure on their newest models like the polar and others.

Last edited:
@CBH Australia:But, the 8x56 Hungarian is a 30mm tube and I believe the German assembled version is a 25mm tube.

No, the German version is 30 mm too.

Apart from 6 PM II's with 34mm I have a 3/12x42 Klassik and 3/12x50 Klassik in use, since 1996 and 1999. Nothing wrong with them!

My understanding is the made in Hungary ones are not for export to the USA, but arrive here as “ parallel imports,” (grey market).

The Canadian importer, Wolverine supplies, has both the German and Hungarian available . Difference in price and usually different models.

I actually ordered mine from a (Verified) English site on special. I got a good deal and below what the current Hungarian listing is in Australia.

Where I can find a German made 8x56 listed it might be 30-40% more expensive than a Hungaria model

@CBH Australia:But, the 8x56 Hungarian is a 30mm tube and I believe the German assembled version is a 25mm tube.

No, the German version is 30 mm too.

Apart from 6 PM II's with 34mm I have a 3/12x42 Klassik and 3/12x50 Klassik in use, since 1996 and 1999. Nothing wrong with them!
Jan,

The S&B website shows 2 listed as 1" would be 25.4mm

Also there are 2 listed as 30mm.

Was sure about what I read and only repeat what I know to be correct.

Far from an expert and my only S&B is a Hungaria bought on a whim. I would like a real S&B and might look into one for some range work. I'm hoping they are the right compromise between reliability and clarity. I want good glass.

Screenshot_20211217_101455.jpg

I cannot see past schmidt and bender. For a rugged hunting scope with great light gathering ability they are fantastic. I have 3 Hungarian S&B's, all bought second hand and I haven't had an issue with any of them.

Another option may be the Meopta 7x56 for those looking for a 8x56. I had one with the illuminated 4 reticle and man what a brilliant scope. I wouldn't have a preference between that one and the German Schmidt 8x56,.

I have used an Rd Meopta as well as their meostar and man they have nice glass.

Love the Schmidt variables though. Nicest scopes I have ever looked through, for my eyes.

Rugged too. Limited adjustments with their zenith and Klassik lines vs their pm2 types though. Not sure on their newest models like the polar and others.

Both Zeiss and Meopta made a 7x50 scope also, rare to find but search for one. Ill reticle in them also.

Both Zeiss and Meopta made a 7x50 scope also, rare to find but search for one. Ill reticle in them also.
The Meopta 7x50 was available in Australia.
I've read a review and seen one available on a rifle

Does anyone have any feedback on the Schmidt and Bender Hungaria line of riflescopes? These scopes are very economically priced, just wondering if the glass is any good.
The 1.25-4x20 looks like it may be a decent dangerous game scope.View attachment 439599
#1 choice of US Marine snipers

I googled tonight scopes snipers use and this came up as #1

Several years ago. S&B was award a contract. I think this contract was a driving reason of having a S&B service center in the USA.
I was aware of USMC using Unertls and Redfields, then more recently Leupolds. When did they start using S&B?

The 1.25-4x20 looks like it may be a decent dangerous game scope.View attachment 439599

That 1.25-4 is a nice looking piece of glass. The others are sporting too big of an objective for my use, not to say they aren’t worthy.

Great glass but clunky features and styling IMO.

I have a fixed power 6x Hungaria with #4 reticle and have used it a lot, including one safari to Namibia. Perfect performance, and I like the clean, simple style and functional design.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SheliaBelc

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross