Sandhill crane hunting in Texas guide recommendation

71C3E2E8-610E-4232-83A6-19BF861D1BAB.jpeg

Another vote for Final Descent Outfitters in Lubbock, Texas. Very fun hunt. Can’t wait to return. Best of luck, TheGrayRider.

Excuse my dumb question.....the only cranes I know are protected.....
Talking of flying ribeye sounds like they are good eating....
Please share some info and forgive my ignorance....
When I observed Blue Cranes in the Eastern Cape, I was struck by how similar their calls were to our Sandhill Cranes here in the US. Beautiful birds both.

When I observed Blue Cranes in the Eastern Cape, I was struck by how similar their calls were to our Sandhill Cranes here in the US. Beautiful birds both.
I wonder if all subspecies of crane are just as delicious haha

Here’s a look at my go to crane breast recipe, butterfly,marinate, sear, let it rest after the sear, stuff with cream cheese, chopped jalapeños and sausage, wrap with bacon and grill to medium rare. I pot roast the leg quarters. Grill the hearts for appetizers. Shot with prairie bomb outfitters in Amarillo, Gizmo knows these guys.

55CC78DE-2B8B-4105-97F8-D9D2B6EF2482.jpeg
3D4081D3-2361-4947-A7EB-0F16D0447C99.jpeg
7E5735B2-15EB-491E-9FF8-E8C5ADBE8A43.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve heard more anecdotal success stories from the Panhandle than any other region of Texas.
I’ve hunted the panhandle pretty much every year since 2004, some years we hunted late in the year for ducks, geese and pheasant and then some years we went early for cranes and a few geese. I never saw another outfitter until this year. In 3 days we saw at least 4 other outfitters. The panhandle is quickly becoming the Texas coast as far as so many outfitters, they are starting to mix groups of hunters to create mega hunts. Just know what you book. This year our group of 5 had an agreement with our outfitter we would not mix with other groups, and even then they tried to sneak 4 more people in with us. We stood fast and everything worked out, but the field we hunted didn’t have enough birds to support 9 shooters so we were glad we stood firm, it took us until about 10:30 to shoot our 15 cranes and I think we only missed 2 or 3 cranes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunnyOkn64

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois