Sako A7 in 416 Remingon?

Sid Post

AH senior member
Reaction score
What are the thoughts on a Sako A7? Specifically, I'm looking hard for a 404J but, stumbled across a Sako A7 in 416 Remington. I'm not sure I would rebarrel it or try to convert it to 404J but, it looks like a nice rifle from the initial inspection. Cost-wise, initially, they are asking for a bit less than a new Win M70 in 375H&H and pretty close to the clean used M70's I'm looking at.

How does something like this rate against a CZ 550 or Win M70 or similar rifles in a big game caliber? Pro's and Con's? Good, Better, or Best or walk away and look for something else? An Interarms Whitworth looks to be similar money as well which I think would be an easy conversion to 404J.

TIA,
Sid

given that you are talking about a 40something, the winchester action is more suited to that sort of calibre, as is probably the whole rifle package.
as for the cartridge, the 416 rem mag bullets have better sectional density, and ammo and components are cheaper and more available.
no need to look further.
bruce.

Why? What was better about the M70's versus the A7's?

I know older Sako rifles had an awesome reputation and carried a big premium over similar USA offerings back in my early adulthood.

Thanks!
Sid

I like a two position safety and had a Sako 75 in .300 WSM that I loved so when I was steered toward a .416 Remington, I settled on Sako. I put some feelers out and found a beautiful 75 Sako on Gunbroker. The rifle was almost perfect for me but didn’t have open sights or a barrel band swivel.
Before the auction ended I had been made aware that a number of you recommended CRF over PF on DG. I had also caught wind of Sako ejectment issues on the newer 85’s. Even still, I was still determined to go with Sako as I was comfortable with them due to my experience with my earlier .300; however, when my PH recommended Winchester I began having doubts. I surmised that my PH would rather have a client with a rifle he could shoot the eye out of a bird flying regardless of the brand.
I was back and forth for a number of days but ultimately settled on the Winchester as I also have a Model 70 in .30-06 and although I’m not as comfortable with it as I was the Sako, I have 18 months make it an extension of myself.
Furthermore, when I opened the box on my new Model 70, I knew it was the right choice.

What are the thoughts on a Sako A7? Specifically, I'm looking hard for a 404J but, stumbled across a Sako A7 in 416 Remington. I'm not sure I would rebarrel it or try to convert it to 404J but, it looks like a nice rifle from the initial inspection. Cost-wise, initially, they are asking for a bit less than a new Win M70 in 375H&H and pretty close to the clean used M70's I'm looking at.

How does something like this rate against a CZ 550 or Win M70 or similar rifles in a big game caliber? Pro's and Con's? Good, Better, or Best or walk away and look for something else? An Interarms Whitworth looks to be similar money as well which I think would be an easy conversion to 404J.

TIA,
Sid
Be aptient and wait for the right 404 Jeff...you want one now you wil always want one....the 416 Rem in Sako A7 is not the answer....

Whether I get this one and try a 404J conversion or just load some stiff feral hog medicine, a 404J is going to join me at some point. The nice thing about this one is throwing it in the gun rack on the tractor or UTV won't be a problem considering its low relative cost.

I'm keeping an eye on older British rifles too so, this one would not stop that search either. If the Heym Express rifle I saw in 458 Lott was in 404J, I'd be searching the couch cushions for lost pocket change! It is about 8 times the cost of the Sako in question.

Whether I get this one and try a 404J conversion or just load some stiff feral hog medicine, a 404J is going to join me at some point. The nice thing about this one is throwing it in the gun rack on the tractor or UTV won't be a problem considering its low relative cost.

I'm keeping an eye on older British rifles too so, this one would not stop that search either. If the Heym Express rifle I saw in 458 Lott was in 404J, I'd be searching the couch cushions for lost pocket change! It is about 8 times the cost of the Sako in question.
That 458 Heym you're speaking of is a great deal if it's the one on GunsInternational.com. I too have looked at that one before and it's a beautiful rifle. I had a Heym 404 this past year for awhile and you can't beat them for quality. It's just a lot of money to be banging around in the bushes.

A Heym Express in 404J! :p:love::p

And yes, a ~$10K rifle is a bit hard for me to bang up with rough service but, you only live once and I'm not concerned about an inheritance to nieces and nephews or, my best friend who is doing well financially.

I actually was turned onto the Heym Express in my search for a 404J bolt action. The post I found might have been on this site and I immediately went to Heym's website to discover the cost was really out of my price range today. I may end up talking to Chris in Dallas though to see about swapping a couple of French doubles for a Heym Express.

A Heym Express in 404J! :p:love::p

And yes, a ~$10K rifle is a bit hard for me to bang up with rough service but, you only live once and I'm not concerned about an inheritance to nieces and nephews or, my best friend who is doing well financially.

I actually was turned onto the Heym Express in my search for a 404J bolt action. The post I found might have been on this site and I immediately went to Heym's website to discover the cost was really out of my price range today. I may end up talking to Chris in Dallas though to see about swapping a couple of French doubles for a Heym Express.
Yes $10K will get you a PH grade with a somewhat plain stock. The one I had was $12K. I just couldn't bring myself to even want to put a scope on it and risk ruining the balance of the rifle, plus they are heavy as is, without a scope. Plus I would've cried if I scratched the stock....Lol!

This rifle is at Griffin and Howe. Looks ok.

Anything that is in 375H&H or one of its off spring should not be to hard to convert to a 404J. I am one that is not keen on Sako's or Winchester M70. The M70 bolt leaves me cold and the few that I have tried have a noticeable notch on pushing the bolt knob down.

That is just me and the M70 may well come to your shoulder well and the bolt operation may not be noticeable enough to distract you. I would prefer the M70 over the Sako.

The CZ550 are a bigger and heavier rifle than the M70 and can require a little work to get them feeding right. They are certainly more agricultural than the M70 to start with, but are my preference.

If the Interarms Whitworth is a Zastava they are a good basic rifle, normally very accurate. Certainly worth a look at. Just my views.

When I was first looking at a DG rifle, I considered a Sako. What turned me off was the shape and feel of the butt stock.

The butt stock of the Sako is a little narrow (side to side) and short (top to bottom) for my likes on a medium/large bore rifle. Yes they are trim, but at the price of punishing your shoulder IMO.

further to what beemaa says.
when i bought my sakos, i looked at other brands as well, and thought i liked the trimness of the sako stocks.
well did i learn something there.
the 375 forend was so slim it just tore out of your hand in recoil.
you had to hold it tight, a bad thing for accuracy.
the pistol grips were also so slim that you had to hold them tight. also bad for accuracy.
in the shop this seemed to be a good thing.
in the field, a bad thing.
added to which, the drop at heel and comb made the 375 tear upward even more.
30/06 not so bad.
when going to mod 70 win, those stocks that felt so clubby in comparison in the shop exhibited that form is to function in a far superior fashion.
the same held true of my old rem 700 stocks, particularly the rem 700 classic.
they worked better.
bruce.

My first medium bore was a CZ550 375H&H with the B&C synthetic stock and I really enjoyed shooting that rifle. You can see the height of the butt stock and thickness of the recoil pad, but unfortunately I don't have a direct picture of it. It was the perfect first DG rifle for me at the time. Another AH member is now enjoying this particular rifle.
1615076518411.png

I'm not familiar with the A7 specifically but every Sako I've owned or shot has been well above average quality. In heavier recoiling, larger calibers the slimmer stock may, as @bruce moulds pointed out, work better in the gun store than on the range or in the field. I'm not as turned off by the Sako type extractors as some. But one thing to check on is the angle of ejection. If it is too high, as seems the case with some Sakos, cases can impact the scope or mounts on the way out. Depends on the ejection geometry of that particular model.

The CZ 550 or BRNO 602 is a completely different animal from either the Sako or the Win M70. Some swear by them and some.... not so much. I would suggest trying and cycling each type before committing. All things equal both the Sako and Win 70, in my experience, are much, much smoother cycling. The CZs are supposed to smooth out over time but can only do so to a certain degree as limited by the basic design. The increased magazine capacity of the CZ is often touted as the important part of the decision for selecting it. But then again some of the same proponents of having the 1-2 extra rounds in the magazine see no conflict with that logic squaring with the praise of the double rifle. ?

As far as caliber... Any particular reason for 404J over 416 Remington other than its current trendy status? :) I have found no flaws in the 416 Remington so am always curious about the decision away from it. I suspect a lot of it has to do with something other than actual field experience.

Last edited:
I don't think there is much different between the two. There is a difference though. The 416 will have better sectional density, the 404 pokes a bigger hole in the animal and still has more than enough penetration.

I prefer the 404 as it does not have a belt and can be loaded up a bit more than than the Rem 416. I am not adverse to belts on a case but see them as wasted powder space. That is if the case was the same diameter as the belt means more powder space.

Actual field use, well the 404J has far more runs on the board than the 416 Remington, even more runs on the board than the 416 Rigby. By the way I have a 416 Rigby and a wildcat based on the 338 RUM which is an improved 404J case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross