Sako 9.3x62 Groups - Thoughts?

These shot groups are from a new (by total rounds fired) Sako M85 Deluxe 9.3x62. Today I put rounds 14-38 through her. She definitely likes 286 grain loads over 250 grain Nosler Accubonds (factory loads). I'm hoping to take this rifle with me next May on my first safari in Namibia.

The groups pictured here are with 286 grain Swift A-frames (also factory loads). I am very pleased with the grouping of shots 2-4 of these four shot groups but the first, cold shot is always offset, and once it was in the complete opposite direction (right vs left). I let the barrel cool at least 5-10 minutes between groups and I use a fan that its in the action and blows cool air down the barrel, so each first shot is from a "cool" barrel. The barrel is completely and well free floated as best I can tell. These are at 100 yards.

What say you? Normal cold to hot barrel shift? Residual stress in the barrel? Shooter error/first shot flinch? Something else?

View attachment 554764View attachment 554765View attachment 554766
You have a Sako 85 "deluxe" which I take to mean the wood stocked model. The recoil lug/plate is only held in by 2 wood screws. There are instructions in various forums on how to epoxy bed this in. Test to see if your barrel can move in the barrel channel. The 2 screws just cannot hold at the recoil levels of a 9.3. I had a Hunter model 9.3 X 66 , scary accurate but POI would shift. And it's because of that plate. In the synthetic stock models that lug is captured in the stock so not an issue. Hope that helps.

I too would be inclined to think it is the action loose somewhere (not loose action bolts necessarily but basically needing proper bedding). Bedding will not hurt it and will eliminate that variable at least.

If the barrel has had a patch or bore snake run down it after the last shot taken it will move poi. If its a rifle im going to hunt next, meaning the next shot i take out of it is a hunting shot i leave the barrel dirty. Finishing the shooting round and then cleaning and oiling barrel will almost always move the poi from where you left off. I was taught from the time i was a kid that if you sight in a rifle and then clean it, you should probably shoot a fouling round thru it and then poi should be where you left it as long as nothing else has changed like ammo type or lot # or anything mechanical like tighting or loosening scope rings or bases etc.

If the barrel has had a patch or bore snake run down it after the last shot taken it will move poi. If its a rifle im going to hunt next, meaning the next shot i take out of it is a hunting shot i leave the barrel dirty. Finishing the shooting round and then cleaning and oiling barrel will almost always move the poi from where you left off. I was taught from the time i was a kid that if you sight in a rifle and then clean it, you should probably shoot a fouling round thru it and then poi should be where you left it as long as nothing else has changed like ammo type or lot # or anything mechanical like tighting or loosening scope rings or bases etc.
@gprippers
A rifle worth it's salt should group ALL bullets to the same poi Wether clean, dirty, hot or cold.
ALL my rifles put the first and ALLOTTED shots exactly where they should be without the need for a fouling shot. They're no use to me if they don't.
Bob

I've only had two Sakos, and both had the same flaw--on neither one were both locking lugs making contact. Only one lug would remove the marking blue. Had to lap them even. One was new and unfired, the other very little used.

I've only had two Sakos, and both had the same flaw--on neither one were both locking lugs making contact. Only one lug would remove the marking blue. Had to lap them even. One was new and unfired, the other very little used.
@steve white
When paying the bigger dollars for Sako you would expect them to at least lock up properly.
Bob

I don’t doubt your experience Steve, but my local gunsmith told me he has never had to work on the locking lugs on a Sako, unlike many Remingtons, Winchester’s, and various Mausers he’s seen with uneven locking lug contact. Exceptions exist for anything it seems. My own experience with two of my three Sako 85’s is that they benefitted from epoxy bedding the recoil lug / plate. It was shifting around under recoil. My .375 actually sheared off the action screws twice until I woke up and recognized the problem. Now it is consistently accurate, and reliable, as is my 7x64.
And keep the action screws tight. That is always good advice.

After original break-in I only clean my barrels once a year, give or take.

My bench rest friends always foul a clean barrel because a squeaky clean barrel don't hit right.

This has now been a while. I wonder what the OP found out.
No smoking gun, so to speak. Took it to a gunsmith who didn’t see anything obvious. We did bed the action. I also switched to my own hand loads with 258 grain Hammer bullets. No more obvious shifts.

I’m taking it to Namibia in two weeks!

No smoking gun, so to speak. Took it to a gunsmith who didn’t see anything obvious. We did bed the action. I also switched to my own hand loads with 258 grain Hammer bullets. No more obvious shifts.

I’m taking it to Namibia in two weeks!
Thanks for replying. Glad to hear it is sorted and good luck on your safari. Hope you will post a report and some pics.

@steve white
That's why I love Savage with the floating bolt head. Always even lock up, NO need to lap the lugs. Savage accurate and cheaper than Sako just not as pretty.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LydiaR8063

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.