Sako 85

ShaneLyle

Gold supporter
AH senior member
Joined
Jul 27, 2023
Messages
53
Reaction score
104
Location
Newnan, GA
Media
2
Hunting reports
Africa
2
Member of
SCI, DSC
Has anyone had issues with the spring on the extractor blade on the bolt? I think mine has failed because it is having a problem ejecting.
Thanks!
 
Is it a new rifle to you or one that previously worked well? Sako 85s have a problem of ejecting at too high an angle and hitting scope with certain cartridges particularly 375 H&H
 
It has been a degenerative issue. It worked well and now is an issue. When the shell is being injected, it hits the top of the receiver at the very end of the casing. It is not getting fully removed before it ejects.
 
What is the caliber of this Sako 85?
 
I would check that the ejector blade that pushes through the bolt as you cycle the bolt backward has not been damaged in some fashion. If it has not, then throw an extractor parts kit at it and see where the chips fall.

Replace the spring and plunger first keeping the original extractor if it shows no signs of damage/wear. Should that not solve the problem then replace the extractor as well.

I wrap the bolt in a towel and put it in a vice, then use a small pick to push down the plunger and a micro electronics flat head screwdriver under the extractor to pry it out. It takes some time to wiggle it just right and get it to release. You may want to wrap the end of the bolt with a bag while you do this, or the parts may go flying. A pair of needle nose vice grips work to put the extractor back in easily. Put the extractor lip in between the serrations to not damage it.

 

Attachments

  • Screenshot 2023-09-20 at 8.07.18 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-20 at 8.07.18 AM.png
    633.2 KB · Views: 198

Forum statistics

Threads
70,303
Messages
1,572,192
Members
169,505
Latest member
CharliL771
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top