Sako 85 jeffery

Congrats on your new rifle. It's really more of a push than a sharp recoil lol ... :) Just treat your new baby with respect and soon it will be like shooting your favorite deer rifle.
Havn't pulled her apart yet but looks the goods....definately feels a mite light( wife reckons it feels like her ruger predator 223 ) i think it's just balanced better.

Not yet spike , i did not realize rcbs dies in this calibre have a 1" die body....not 7/8 nor 1.25" so my press maker is whipping me up an adapter bush to suit.

o_O....glad that makes sense to you..........:D didnt fancy buying a 5 pack just to get it warmed up? $$$$$$$ :E Big Grin:

o_O....glad that makes sense to you..........:D didnt fancy buying a 5 pack just to get it warmed up? $$$$$$$ :E Big Grin:
I never got a price on factories because buying that sort of ammo in australia usually puts the blood pressure up a few points

I never got a price on factories because buying that sort of ammo in australia usually puts the blood pressure up a few points

yup i have been putting off asking how much the kynoch and norma .500jeff is at the shop in lusaka.......:E Frightened:

Yeah, LOL, the recoil is more of a push. Sure it is. Push you right out from under your hat!!:rolleyes::eek::D

Yeah, LOL, the recoil is more of a push. Sure it is. Push you right out from under your hat!!:rolleyes::eek::D

When I shoot mine from the bench my ear muffs fly off every time. My sons think it's hysterical, so do I ! Offhand it's a pussycat ...

I shoot mine off of my bog pod tripod and it really is very comfortable to shoot. Ammo is not cheap but I didn't get a 500 thinking it would be cheap to shoot. I find the recoil more comfortable than my 416 Rigbys.

I used to own a Sako 85 , Brown Bear in 375 , which looks the same as your 500 .

As far as balance , size of the rifle and comfort it was a fantastic fit.

Light at the end of the tunnel.....simplex called yesterday and said they were sending back the adaptor bush for the 1" dies. Back to work today , so another week goes past.......but next week(y)(y)

Hi Boldo,
Any update on your toy.. Hows it feel to shoot.

I have the same gun but in .450 Rigby. Sooting it with 550 gr loads at about 2300fps. My impression is that recoil in this rifle is on the heavy side as the rifle is light at 9.5 lbs. Also the recoil pad is hard and this does not help, it needs to be changed.
I have pulled it apart and looked at the recoil lugs and feel that they are not adequate, it should have a barrel mounted lug. I just feel that sooner rather than later the stock will start to split.
I am considering changing the recoil pad and fitting a recoil reducer in the stock, this should also add a pound to the weight brining it to 10.5 lb unloaded.

It feeds ok when you work the action quickly but hangs on the feed ramp when you work it slow. This is not right or to my liking as in my opinion there are times when I want to quietly chamber a round from the mag, so some work needed on the feeding.
I have not decided if i will keep mine or sell it off and build another one based on a CZ action from a converted 458 lott.
If I decide to keep it I will have a proper walnut stock made up for it with dimensions to suit and proper bedding and recoil management.

Good luck with yours hope you enjoy using it for what its intended for.

G'day Enzo , the pad was replaced with a pachmayer decelerator as the stock one is rubbish. At the moment i am running a 600grn at 2100 which in this weight gun is ok . I'm not going to increase the weight as i like the lightness and pointability , mine feeds fine with no hangups , i've put 120 rnds through it so far and i'm still liking it , it is a snappy little bugger but as long as you match the load to the weight of the rifle it's fine. Hope you decide to keep it.

Thanks, Nice to know your happy with it.
I am at the moment thinking to replace that laminated stock with a nice walnut stock. So may be looking for a good stock-maker.
I put 35 rounds through mine and then put it away as I had to travel back to Kenya so it will be a while ( 6 months or more) before I get round to picking it up again. I will decide then if I keep or trade, as I wont need it out here until next year.

The 416 will keep working till then.

Cheers...

Thanks, Nice to know your happy with it.
I am at the moment thinking to replace that laminated stock with a nice walnut stock. So may be looking for a good stock-maker.
I put 35 rounds through mine and then put it away as I had to travel back to Kenya so it will be a while ( 6 months or more) before I get round to picking it up again. I will decide then if I keep or trade, as I wont need it out here until next year.

The 416 will keep working till then.

Cheers...
Hope it works out for you Enzo.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swasel

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!