Sako 85 ejection issues

Westerner1939

AH member
Joined
Jul 12, 2024
Messages
36
Reaction score
48
Hi all, I’m considering buying a Sako 85 in 9.3x62. I’ve heard about the ejection issues and I’m a bit concerned, especially on a rifle in that chambering I’ll be using it to hunt black bears in brown bear country, things need to work. I’d prefer to have a low power scope mounted as low as possible which probably doesn’t help things.
Can anyone here chime in if this issue is overblown or should I pass.
Thanks
 
There are a lot of threads on it here. I have no issues in my 300 win mag, but I have issues in my 270 win and 375 H&H. If you will be using a simple duplex scope, the solution is turn the scope 90 degrees counter clockwise. If you want to use a scope with dials or illumination button, it can be a problem. Medium rings solve the issue too, but not ideal for sight picture.
 
I'm a huge Sako fan, I own about 8 of them but the ejection is a real issue on the 85 models. There are heavy extractor springs that have helped some people, and as mentioned the scope turrets often are hit by the ejecting shell causing the jamming so choosing a scope with smaller turrets or higher rings may help. The Sako 90 does have a new ejection system but it is a push feed design as opposed to the controlled feed design of the 85 so take that into consideration.
 
Not all M85's are affected. You may ask to try the rifle first and see at what angle it kicks empties out. I have owned four, and had a problem with two of them. I asked a skilled machinist to build me new extractors. Less clearance between bolt face and extractor claw solves the problem if it exists. Both my .375 and my 7x64 eject perfectly horizontal now.
 
Dido on the new Model 90 -- It has 2 ejectors to fix the problem. I really like my 375.
 
My sako 85, 30 06, no problems with ejection
 
Not all M85's are affected. You may ask to try the rifle first and see at what angle it kicks empties out. I have owned four, and had a problem with two of them. I asked a skilled machinist to build me new extractors. Less clearance between bolt face and extractor claw solves the problem if it exists. Both my .375 and my 7x64 eject perfectly horizontal now.
Can you post the contact info for machinist.
 
I owned and still regret selling my 85 Bavarian in 300wm, no ejection issues with it.

I borrowed my brothers black bear 9.3x62 for a while and once had a stuff up, not with ejection but with chambering. I was walking them up once and it jammed as I jumped a stag.

I also owned a 75 at one time that was a nice gun and currently own an A7 which is my knockabout mountain rifle.

They’re decent guns, I’d say the most popular make in Australia along with Tikka
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,317
Messages
1,572,737
Members
169,609
Latest member
JuanitaSid
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top