Safely Using the Classified Ads

Griz

New member
Joined
Sep 25, 2020
Messages
4
Reaction score
1
Location
New York
Hunted
United States
Hello All: I'm thinking of buying a rifle from one of the classified ads. What is the safest and most convenient way to pay for the rifle and also be sure I receive the rifle (my FFL will actually receive the rifle). How do I know this isn't a scam? Thank you.
 
Who's selling it?
 
Hello Brickburn: Does it matter? Shouldn't it be the same for anyone? I have my eye on the beautiful CZ .450 Rigby offered by Voodooracer. I've never purchased a gun from anyone but a gun broker, i.e., an FFL holder. and they are 100% safe.
 
Hello Brickburn: Does it matter? Shouldn't it be the same for anyone? I have my eye on the beautiful CZ .450 Rigby offered by Voodooracer. I've never purchased a gun from anyone but a gun broker, i.e., an FFL holder. and they are 100% safe.
I would say it does matter. If it's an established member with a lot of posts, I would definitely feel better about it. If it's a "new member" such as yourself, I would definitely ask for plenty of pictures besides what they post here. And ask a lot of pertinent questions as well.
 
There is always a chance that someone is unscrupulous and will cheat, however I have made several purchases on AH and have never had a problem- quite the opposite- the sellers that I have had contact with were very honest and straight-forward. As a safe guard one thing that can be done is look at the sellers history. but the cheating can go both ways. My preference is to pay for something with a personal check, made out to the seller. The seller will need to endorse it and the check will return to my bank. So I have a record of the sale. These purchases are made with the understanding that the seller will not ship the item until the funds from the check have cleared- which anymore, thanks to computerized banking is generally in a day or so; however I have no problem with the seller waiting a week or 10 days to ship, but most want to get the item gone, so is sooner.
 
Somebody that has been a member on this website for years, with hundreds of posts, is probably not going to want 56,000 members to know that they are a liar and a cheat. But somebody that has been here all day.?..........just sayin...........FWB
 
The last couple of items that I have sold I have taken a short video with my phone and texted it to prospective buyers. They seem to like that. Crooks usually don't have the item that they want to sell. Ask them to include a detail of some sort or date card that would be hard to fake. That can help a bit.
Bruce
 
Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. Great advice! I'm new to this site, but I can already tell that it is loaded with good, honest, knowledgeable and very sincere individuals. I now feel 100% confident with any purchases I make from this site (of which I am going to do right now). Thank you!
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,290
Messages
1,570,739
Members
169,003
Latest member
omarosca1985
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top