Safely Using the Classified Ads

Griz

Reaction score
Hunted
United States
Hello All: I'm thinking of buying a rifle from one of the classified ads. What is the safest and most convenient way to pay for the rifle and also be sure I receive the rifle (my FFL will actually receive the rifle). How do I know this isn't a scam? Thank you.

Who's selling it?

Hello Brickburn: Does it matter? Shouldn't it be the same for anyone? I have my eye on the beautiful CZ .450 Rigby offered by Voodooracer. I've never purchased a gun from anyone but a gun broker, i.e., an FFL holder. and they are 100% safe.

Hello Brickburn: Does it matter? Shouldn't it be the same for anyone? I have my eye on the beautiful CZ .450 Rigby offered by Voodooracer. I've never purchased a gun from anyone but a gun broker, i.e., an FFL holder. and they are 100% safe.
I would say it does matter. If it's an established member with a lot of posts, I would definitely feel better about it. If it's a "new member" such as yourself, I would definitely ask for plenty of pictures besides what they post here. And ask a lot of pertinent questions as well.

There is always a chance that someone is unscrupulous and will cheat, however I have made several purchases on AH and have never had a problem- quite the opposite- the sellers that I have had contact with were very honest and straight-forward. As a safe guard one thing that can be done is look at the sellers history. but the cheating can go both ways. My preference is to pay for something with a personal check, made out to the seller. The seller will need to endorse it and the check will return to my bank. So I have a record of the sale. These purchases are made with the understanding that the seller will not ship the item until the funds from the check have cleared- which anymore, thanks to computerized banking is generally in a day or so; however I have no problem with the seller waiting a week or 10 days to ship, but most want to get the item gone, so is sooner.

Somebody that has been a member on this website for years, with hundreds of posts, is probably not going to want 56,000 members to know that they are a liar and a cheat. But somebody that has been here all day.?..........just sayin...........FWB

The last couple of items that I have sold I have taken a short video with my phone and texted it to prospective buyers. They seem to like that. Crooks usually don't have the item that they want to sell. Ask them to include a detail of some sort or date card that would be hard to fake. That can help a bit.
Bruce

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. Great advice! I'm new to this site, but I can already tell that it is loaded with good, honest, knowledgeable and very sincere individuals. I now feel 100% confident with any purchases I make from this site (of which I am going to do right now). Thank you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg