Safely Using the Classified Ads

Griz

Reaction score
Hunted
United States
Hello All: I'm thinking of buying a rifle from one of the classified ads. What is the safest and most convenient way to pay for the rifle and also be sure I receive the rifle (my FFL will actually receive the rifle). How do I know this isn't a scam? Thank you.

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
Who's selling it?

Griz

Reaction score
Hunted
United States
Hello Brickburn: Does it matter? Shouldn't it be the same for anyone? I have my eye on the beautiful CZ .450 Rigby offered by Voodooracer. I've never purchased a gun from anyone but a gun broker, i.e., an FFL holder. and they are 100% safe.

TOBY458

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hello Brickburn: Does it matter? Shouldn't it be the same for anyone? I have my eye on the beautiful CZ .450 Rigby offered by Voodooracer. I've never purchased a gun from anyone but a gun broker, i.e., an FFL holder. and they are 100% safe.
I would say it does matter. If it's an established member with a lot of posts, I would definitely feel better about it. If it's a "new member" such as yourself, I would definitely ask for plenty of pictures besides what they post here. And ask a lot of pertinent questions as well.

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England

Ray B

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
There is always a chance that someone is unscrupulous and will cheat, however I have made several purchases on AH and have never had a problem- quite the opposite- the sellers that I have had contact with were very honest and straight-forward. As a safe guard one thing that can be done is look at the sellers history. but the cheating can go both ways. My preference is to pay for something with a personal check, made out to the seller. The seller will need to endorse it and the check will return to my bank. So I have a record of the sale. These purchases are made with the understanding that the seller will not ship the item until the funds from the check have cleared- which anymore, thanks to computerized banking is generally in a day or so; however I have no problem with the seller waiting a week or 10 days to ship, but most want to get the item gone, so is sooner.

flatwater bill

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA endowment member/Life member
Hunted
NAMIBIA, RSA, KYRYG, KAZAKSTAN, MOZAMBIQUE,MEXICO, BOLIVIA, PERU, BRAZIL, ARGENTINA, CANADA, NEW ZEALAND, AUSTRALIA, SPAIN,
Somebody that has been a member on this website for years, with hundreds of posts, is probably not going to want 56,000 members to know that they are a liar and a cheat. But somebody that has been here all day.?..........just sayin...........FWB

gillettehunter

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Namibia, Kyrgyzstan(2) South Africa(4) New Zealand Zambia(2)
The last couple of items that I have sold I have taken a short video with my phone and texted it to prospective buyers. They seem to like that. Crooks usually don't have the item that they want to sell. Ask them to include a detail of some sort or date card that would be hard to fake. That can help a bit.
Bruce

Wheels

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Zimbabwe

Griz

Reaction score
Hunted
United States
Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. Great advice! I'm new to this site, but I can already tell that it is loaded with good, honest, knowledgeable and very sincere individuals. I now feel 100% confident with any purchases I make from this site (of which I am going to do right now). Thank you!

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Just came from a hunt and already longing for the bush
JPmbogo wrote on yhc's profile.
I have factory loaded Hornady 450 NE 3 1/4 DGS that I am selling for not much more than the brass itself at $75/box - see my listing for same.
Justbryan wrote on Rafter JK's profile.
Get Crazy Larry yet? Wishing I had shot Alpine Ibex too!
laurence burkin wrote on UKHunter's profile.
Hi the dude in the picture. It would be cool to know the area (genetics) of the stag you have in your profile picture. I am from New Zealand and shot a stag here that is almost identical, especially the throw backs. I can send you a photo to prove I'm genuine with my enquiry.