Safari Season 2024 Has Started - Where We Going?

My update
Working to finalize plans for a Rhino Dart summer 2024
I drew a Once in a Lifetime On-Range Oryx tag in New Mexico for WSMR this fall
Waiting for the rest of the North American Draws to come out
July 2025 Zambia

Tentative plans/goals for the next few years Leopard in Zimbabwe, MuskOx & Caribou in Greenland, plus whatever tags I manage to draw here in North America.

MY SON IS TAKING HIS WIFE AND 2 TEENAGE DAUGHTERS ON A 21 DAY TRIP. FIRST TO CAPE TOWN, THEN DURBAN, FOLLOWED BY AN 8 DAY HUNT IN KWAZULU-NATAL, AND THEN FOLLOWED BY A FEW DAYS IN VIC FALLS BEFOR HEADED HOME. HE IS NOT MUCH OF A PHOTO TAKER BUT WILL TRY TO GET YA'LL A FEW PICTS WHEN HE GETS BACK.
I WILL GET TO MEET UP WITH HIM AND A FEW OF OUR BUDDIES FOR A HUNT AT @JES Adventures IN NOVEMBER FOR A BIT OF DEER HUNTIN, CIGAR SMOKIN, AND BOURBON & COKE (NO, @HankBuck IT WILL NOT BE "CRAP" BOURBON!) AND WILL UPDATE ON THAT TRIP.

MY SON IS TAKING HIS WIFE AND 2 TEENAGE DAUGHTERS ON A 21 DAY TRIP. FIRST TO CAPE TOWN, THEN DURBAN, FOLLOWED BY AN 8 DAY HUNT IN KWAZULU-NATAL, AND THEN FOLLOWED BY A FEW DAYS IN VIC FALLS BEFOR HEADED HOME. HE IS NOT MUCH OF A PHOTO TAKER BUT WILL TRY TO GET YA'LL A FEW PICTS WHEN HE GETS BACK.
I WILL GET TO MEET UP WITH HIM AND A FEW OF OUR BUDDIES FOR A HUNT AT @JES Adventures IN NOVEMBER FOR A BIT OF DEER HUNTIN, CIGAR SMOKIN, AND BOURBON & COKE (NO, @HankBuck IT WILL NOT BE "CRAP" BOURBON!) AND WILL UPDATE ON THAT TRIP.
@SETH RINGER - will the Bourbon cost at least as much as the Coca Cola??

currently sitting in camp with Bayly Sipple at their north camp. Buff and an add on kudu. Rut going for kudu. Everyone have a great and safe trip.
Look forward to your report on buff. It seems they have some great offerings. Happy hunting!

Reactions: USN
@SETH RINGER - will the Bourbon cost at least as much as the Coca Cola??
I'LL GO OUT ON A LIMB AND SAY I HAVE POURED MORE COKE OVER EAGLE RARE AND LOT B THAN YOU HAVE DRANK STRAIGHT.

I'LL GO OUT ON A LIMB AND SAY I HAVE POURED MORE COKE OVER EAGLE RARE AND LOT B THAN YOU HAVE DRANK STRAIGHT.
@SETH RINGER - I’m NOT taking that bet, a 3-4oz pour of good Bourbon and I’m “done” for the evening….maybe the weekend !

I'm excited to read the reports. What's in there for 2024?
Doubling up in 2025 and just hunted Tanzania last November so taking 2024 off to rebuild the war chest. So far, I haven’t drawn anything good in the USA but one can always hope!

I leave in one month for the Eastern Cape with @LJ SAFARIS . It is a package with nyala and bushbuck but I plan to add on to the list. It will be in both the Karoo and the coastal area.

I won a mixed trophy and cull hunt at SCI from @TSALA HUNTING SAFARIS that I will taking in late August. It was for 2 hunters and 2 observers but it may just be my brother-in-law and me.

My update
Working to finalize plans for a Rhino Dart summer 2024
I drew a Once in a Lifetime On-Range Oryx tag in New Mexico for WSMR this fall
Waiting for the rest of the North American Draws to come out
July 2025 Zambia

Tentative plans/goals for the next few years Leopard in Zimbabwe, MuskOx & Caribou in Greenland, plus whatever tags I manage to draw here in North America.
What will you be after in Zambia?

Well it’s hogs on the Ga coast in a few weeks and chasing reds and specks with a 6 weight in the marsh. I’ll be back in SA spending time in the Kalahari and Limpo in July and August. Then dove is right around the corner in September with Marsh Rails on the full moon flood tides. Deer and pigs in Oct, then my Texas season cranks up in November and I’ll finish out December with ducks and geese In Arkansas……. I need more time.

What will you be after in Zambia?
As of right now just PG endemic to Zambia; Sable, Puku, Chobe Bushbuck, etc being the main targets. Mulling around Lechwe and Sititunga but each time I look at the cost on Sititunga think about how that’s almost 1/2 a sheep hunt, or 1/2 a leopard, or another safari to Zim for Buf or Tuskless.

As of right now just PG endemic to Zambia; Sable, Puku, Chobe Bushbuck, etc being the main targets. Mulling around Lechwe and Sititunga but each time I look at the cost on Sititunga think about how that’s almost 1/2 a sheep hunt, or 1/2 a leopard, or another safari to Zim for Buf or Tuskless.
I think you should take a kafue lechwe if you can. It’s only place you can hunt them and driving distance from Lusaka. I agree with you on the sitatunga (for now anyway) but thankfully there are a few countries you can hunt them in, so opportunity should last.

Excellent point on kafue lechwe! It's there and you're there and that's the cheapest opportunity you will ever have. Coming back is expensive when they are right there, if you can swing it. I have the same philosophy when a great animal steps out that you weren't planning on...now is the cheapest opportunity to take it. When the Bush offers up something, consider it seriously.

I think you should take a kafue lechwe if you can. It’s only place you can hunt them and driving distance from Lusaka. I agree with you on the sitatunga (for now anyway) but thankfully there are a few countries you can hunt them in, so opportunity should last.
It’s a very recent development within the last two weeks and it’s not primarily my trip. I was asked to join. Once more details start emerging I’ll shoot you a message.

Who are you booking with? You can easily get the Kafue lechwe in one day from Lusaka at the end of your trip and they are the biggest species of lechwe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GordonBees

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.