Safari frequency?

DID OUR "ONCE IN A LIFETIME" TRIP TO SOUTH AFRICA WITH MY WIFE IN 2002 (TURNED 40 WHEN WE LANDED IN CAPE TOWN). WIFE WAS AN OBSERVER. SHE WAS TREATED LIKE A QUEEN THE WHOLE TIME I HUNTED, HAD TO REMIND HER TO TAKE THE CROWN OFF AND PUT THE APRON BACK ON WHEN WE GOT HOME.
WAS BLESSED TO BE ABLE TO FOLLOW THAT UP WITH A TRIP ALONE, A TRIP WITH MY YOUNGER SON, AND A 3 COUNTRY, 30 DAY SAFARI WITH MY WIFE AGAIN BEFORE THE "GREAT RECCESSION" HIT AND HAD TO STOP. WENT BACK FOR 30 MORE DAYS IN 2018 WITH MY OLDER SON, FOLLOWING BEHIND AND WATCHING HIM MIGHT HAVE BEEN THE BEST SAFARI OF THEM ALL. WORKING LIKE A BIG MAN WITH A SMALL MANS BODY HAS TAKEN IT TOLL, THAT MIGHT HAVE BEEN MY LAST "REAL" HUNT.
MIXED SEVERAL OTHER COUNTRIES IN ALONG THE WAY TO KEEP THINGS INTERESTING, USUALLY WITH MY WIFE COMING ALONG AS THE DESIGNATED SHOPPER.
ALL IN ALL, CAN'T COMPLAIN.

I personally wasn't super motivated to hunt in Africa and wanted to try and hunt all 50 states here first. I've managed to draw a hunt or two out west every year since 2014, but like others have said the rising Non-Res costs and reductions in Non-Res tag percentages will likely begin limiting the frequency of that. A friend convinced me to bid on a hunt with him in 2019 and I've been bitten pretty bad since. I've considered giving up on a deer lease in favor of a yearly hunt in Africa but figured out a way to swing both thus far.

2021 - 1x PG & 1x DG in RSA
2022 - 1x DG/PG in RSA & 1x PG in Namibia (turned into mostly PAC DG)
2023 - leaving in under a month for PG in RSA

My tentative 5 Year plan includes Moose/Caribou, Elephant, Leopard, bite the bullet on buying a Sheep or Goat hunt, & something in Europe as the annual big hunts.

I’m like a lot of the guys here. I’ve been twice: Namibia in 2014 and South Africa in 2018. Which is two times more than I ever thought I would! Was hoping at the time to make it back by 2022, but that thing called life likes to throw wrenches into the gears. Aside from the increasing costs of everything there’s lots of other factors. One primary reason is my better half wants (and deserves) a non- hunting holiday. Have truck and boat payments and two teenagers. One big reason also because I’m trying to hold on to my tiny little herd of cows and that has been a financial struggle. But I just can’t seem to let them go yet. I also have aging parents and want to get as much time in fishing with my Dad that I can with however much time I have remaining of his good health.
However I really want to get back at least once. Would love an eland, sable and bushpig as well as another kudu and bushbuck. Also red, fallow, axis and roe deer.

I was blessed to be able to go to Africa 15 times over 30 years, then the past 2 years I have been going 2x a year, which I hope to be able to continue to do for the next few years.

i have spent time in Africa pretty much annually for fifty years or so, a short trip would be 21 days. One year a total of 60 days, as i recall, three different safaris. My last trip, at age 82 was for 3 weeks. Took ten head of plains game and four buff. I have been a lucky man. This year have had pneumonia and broke a couple ribs so guess i will leave adventure up to you younger folks.

i have spent time in Africa pretty much annually for fifty years or so, a short trip would be 21 days. One year a total of 60 days, as i recall, three different safaris. My last trip, at age 82 was for 3 weeks. Took ten head of plains game and four buff. I have been a lucky man. This year have had pneumonia and broke a couple ribs so guess i will leave adventure up to you younger folks.
I need to be more like Myles!! Great going Sir!!

Plenty of time left in the year to still get over there

I don’t like what WY is doing to nonresidents and this bias continues to spread against the nonresident hunter...

I quit hunting Elk etc. as a non-resident many years ago. Heck, I have not hunted at all in the States since 2014.

I’ve enjoyed reading about everyone’s trips! For me I’ve interspersed my Africa trips with other goals in other parts of the world. While hunting Africa 8 different times I’ve also completed the grand slam of sheep twice along with full bag trips to Argentina and Ireland. The only “problem” with Africa is that I’m also a gun junkie and end up buying a rifle and then plan on where I’m going to use it.
My latest is the matching set of Heym’s in 577 NE and 404 Jeffery. Already looking at Elephant,Cape, and plains for that acquisition.

HH

I’ve enjoyed reading about everyone’s trips! For me I’ve interspersed my Africa trips with other goals in other parts of the world. While hunting Africa 8 different times I’ve also completed the grand slam of sheep twice along with full bag trips to Argentina and Ireland. The only “problem” with Africa is that I’m also a gun junkie and end up buying a rifle and then plan on where I’m going to use it.
My latest is the matching set of Heym’s in 577 NE and 404 Jeffery. Already looking at Elephant,Cape, and plains for that acquisition.

HH
What’s been your favorite sheep hunt? I’m still hoping to draw a tag for my first.

I’m like a lot of the guys here. I’ve been twice: Namibia in 2014 and South Africa in 2018. Which is two times more than I ever thought I would! Was hoping at the time to make it back by 2022, but that thing called life likes to throw wrenches into the gears. Aside from the increasing costs of everything there’s lots of other factors. One primary reason is my better half wants (and deserves) a non- hunting holiday. Have truck and boat payments and two teenagers. One big reason also because I’m trying to hold on to my tiny little herd of cows and that has been a financial struggle. But I just can’t seem to let them go yet. I also have aging parents and want to get as much time in fishing with my Dad that I can with however much time I have remaining of his good health.
However I really want to get back at least once. Would love an eland, sable and bushpig as well as another kudu and bushbuck. Also red, fallow, axis and roe deer.
I forgot to add Buffalo on my wish list!

What’s been your favorite sheep hunt? I’m still hoping to draw a tag for my first.

They each have their own unique challenges and opportunities. Probably stone sheep would be my most memorable. That included summiting the same peak twice on the same day and ultimately getting back to camp around 4AM with sheep in hand.

I have never drawn a sheep tag. All of mine have come from purchasing an outfitter or auction tag.

I wish that tap talk could figure out how to post photos off my iPad. I have to wait until I’m at my office computer to post any pictures on this forum.

HH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross