Safari-ed?

PatrickMcKee

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone has purchased and viewed the new Safari Preparation Courses by Boddington through safari-ed? I have ordered The Perfect Shot II but am open to other educational material before I go over for my first trip to southern Africa.

Thanks!

This site is about as educational as it gets. Nothing better. You might have to wade through a couple
things once in a while. but well worth it. Spend some time looking around and I will bet ya that any question you have will not go un--answered by these fine people.

There are way too many free resources to even consider buying those courses. Your money would be much better spent on the hunt itself. Knowing how and where to shoot and selecting the right PH/outfitter is what is going to make your hunt successful.
You ordered a great book with the perfect shot. Another really great book you can buy is “ask the Namibian guides” it is for sale on Amazon right now $8.99 for a used copy. Even though the title is Namibia, it’s applicable to much more than that. I would highly recommend you buy it.
Another good free resource is podcasts. “The Big Game Hunting Podcast” has some excellent ones. There are two with Kevin Robertson I’d highly recommend, one is African hunting rifles and the other is African hunting bullets both really informative. If you like podcasts, I can direct you to some more that are good.
This site has a huge amount of knowledge as well and everyone wants to help. Make a post that let us know where you want to hunt and what your goals are and you’ll get a huge amount of feedback to consider. There is also a ton to look back on and review.

Last edited:
They were a sponsor here a few years ago. It did not go very well. Ask your questions here, study the perfect shot and head to Africa.

@PatrickMcKee

My friend who hunted Africa and other places with me purchased this package.
At the time, it was offered with discount for forum members.

Anyway, I watched several parts of this package with my friend, and generally it is OK.
But consider this: this is made for total beginner, so it is basic training approach.

If you consider yourself in anyway advanced hunter, you will not learn nothing new. Or, at least 90% of subjects will not be new to you.
On the other hand, it is good, to take occasional peak, when considering something specific, like calibers and ammo for elephant, or packing gear for first safari etc.

On a personal note, I prefer a book, rather then video. So my first source to provide information for myself is book.

The best way to asses if this training is for you, go tou youtube, there is quite a lot available for free viewing, then you decide.
My own advice: Reccomended for begginers education.

Book reccomendation:
Perfect shot, Kevin Robertson
Safari Experience, Craig Boddington
Safari RIfles II, Craig boddington

This is minimum library for begginers, to get all necessary bearings for modern African safari, and you will get more information from those books, then from video tutorials.

Last edited:
This site is about as educational as it gets. Nothing better. You might have to wade through a couple
things once in a while. but well worth it. Spend some time looking around and I will bet ya that any question you have will not go un--answered by these fine people.
Thank you!

There are way too many free resources to even consider buying those courses. Your money would be much better spent on the hunt itself. Knowing how and where to shoot and selecting the right PH/outfitter is what is going to make your hunt successful.
You ordered a great book with the perfect shot. Another really great book you can buy is “ask the Namibian guides” it is for sale on Amazon right now $8.99 for a used copy. Even though the title is Namibia, it’s applicable to much more than that. I would highly recommend you buy it.
Another good free resource is podcasts. “The Big Game Hunting Podcast” has some excellent ones. There are two with Kevin Robertson I’d highly recommend, one is African hunting rifles and the other is African hunting bullets both really informative. If you like podcasts, I can direct you to some more that are good.
This site has a huge amount of knowledge as well and everyone wants to help. Make a post that let us know where you want to hunt and what your goals are and you’ll get a huge amount of feedback to consider. There is also a ton to look back on and review.
Book ordered.

@PatrickMcKee

My friend who hunted Africa and other places with me purchased this package.
At the time, it was offered with discount for forum members.

Anyway, I watched several parts of this package with my friend, and generally it is OK.
But consider this: this is made for total beginner, so it is basic training approach.

If you consider yourself in anyway advanced hunter, you will not learn nothing new. Or, at least 90% of subjects will not be new to you.
On the other hand, it is good, to take occasional peak, when considering something specific, like calibers and ammo for elephant, or packing gear for first safari etc.

On a personal note, I prefer a book, rather then video. So my first source to provide information for myself is book.

The best way to asses if this training is for you, go tou youtube, there is quite a lot available for free viewing, then you decide.
My own advice: Reccomended for begginers education.

Book reccomendation:
Perfect shot, Kevin Robertson
Safari Experience, Craig Boddington
Safari RIfles II, Craig boddington

This is minimum library for begginers, to get all necessary bearings for modern African safari, and you will get more information from those books, then from video tutorials.
ordered. Thank you!

I'm wondering if anyone has purchased and viewed the new Safari Preparation Courses by Boddington through safari-ed? I have ordered The Perfect Shot II but am open to other educational material before I go over for my first trip to southern Africa.

Thanks!
Hi Patrick, there are heaps of experts on this site, but there are also heaps of beginners too, so you dont feel a heel asking questions. It is also a place where you can get up your enthusiasm and do a bit of dream sharing. A safari has more facets than a diamond, the more you explore before you go the more you will enjoy the actual experience.

Hi Patrick, there are heaps of experts on this site, but there are also heaps of beginners too, so you dont feel a heel asking questions. It is also a place where you can get up your enthusiasm and do a bit of dream sharing. A safari has more facets than a diamond, the more you explore before you go the more you will enjoy the actual experience.
Thank you. My motto is "The experience is the trophy" so... I hear ya.

There are way too many free resources to even consider buying those courses. Your money would be much better spent on the hunt itself.
THIS. With anything worth learning, there are so many resources that will teach you everything you need to know for free that to pay a cent at all is nothing short of foolish (unless it's as a tip or for support like if they have a Patreon)

I agree. Ask your questions here but most of all trust the PH. They have more experience than anybody including Boddington especially in their area with their game. If they say shoot a soft point then I would ask what do you recommend. Also look at the post on AHF that help you ask the better questions. https://www.africahunting.com/threads/better-questions-to-ask-when-looking-for-a-hunt….23825/

The exception is travel related questions. The best info will come from those on this forum or our travel agent sponsors. I always plan my own trips and have never had a problem because I always get help from my post on AHF.

So, ask away!

Thanks!

Actually Patrick, why don't you judge for yourself...

You can get a serious preview of the Boddington material by watching for free 41 videos 3 to 5 minutes long on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLt0FziY2ifxfZ98sdGp22U4Z9pZKQJfMi
1610049016890.png

Like all people who have made a name for themselves in the hunting industry, Boddington has both fervent admirers and ardent detractors. It is sometimes hard to sort out why some people are so negative about well known hunting figures, but I personally think that professional rivalry, and sometimes perhaps personal jalousie, may have something to do with it...

Some dislike Boddington's writing style to the point of finding him unreadable, but others really like it. I personally find it neither specifically better nor worse than most hunting/shooting professional writers', and certainly far better than many bloggers'.

In any case, with something like 100 safaris, I believe, under his belt, Boddington certainly knows his subject, and while he may not have much to teach to many with decades of hunting experience and proven Africa experience (which, while logical, may explain why some experienced folks appreciate him less), he is certainly a great resource for less experienced folks and, certainly, beginners.

I have never seen his pay-for material, but I find the above free material generally very sound and I recommend it. I own his original Safari Rifle book, and I find it too, generally very sound.

This being said, I DO believe that this forum, AfricaHunting.com is by far the best resource there is for interactive Q&A, although one of course needs to sort out here too the true field experts from the "internet experts" but generally it is not all that hard to sort out ;)

Last edited:
I agree. Ask your questions here but most of all trust the PH. They have more experience than anybody including Boddington especially in their area with their game. If they say shoot a soft point then I would ask what do you recommend. Also look at the post on AHF that help you ask the better questions. https://www.africahunting.com/threads/better-questions-to-ask-when-looking-for-a-hunt….23825/

The exception is travel related questions. The best info will come from those on this forum or our travel agent sponsors. I always plan my own trips and have never had a problem because I always get help from my post on AHF.

So, ask away!
Thanks, sir!

Actually Patrick, why don't you judge for yourself...

You can get a serious preview of the Boddington material by watching for free 41 videos 3 to 5 minutes long on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLt0FziY2ifxfZ98sdGp22U4Z9pZKQJfMi
View attachment 383000

Like all people who have made a name for themselves in the hunting industry, Boddington has both fervent admirers and ardent detractors. It is sometimes hard to sort out why some people are so negative about well known hunting figures, but I personally think that professional rivalry, and sometimes perhaps personal jalousie, may have something to do with it...

Some dislike Boddington's writing style to the point of finding him unreadable, but others really like it. I personally find it neither specifically better nor worse than most hunting/shooting professional writers', and certainly far better than many bloggers'.

In any case, with something like 100 safaris, I believe, under his belt, Boddington certainly knows his subject, and while he may not have much to teach to many with decades of hunting experience and proven Africa experience (which, while logical, may explain why some experienced folks appreciate him less), he is certainly a great resource for less experienced folks and, certainly, beginners.

I have never seen his pay-for material, but I find the above free material generally very sound and I recommend it. I own his original Safari Rifle book, and I find it too, generally very sound.

This being said, I DO believe that this forum, AfricaHunting.com is by far the best resource there is for interactive Q&A, although one of course needs to sort out here too the true field experts from the "internet experts" but generally it is not all that hard to sort out ;)
Thank you, sir! I have seen some of those free Boddington videos and each has at least a nugget or two of good stuff which I think is pretty darn generous of him.

There were two books that I gained a world of solid information from before my first safari. “ 21 days in Africa “ by Donarski and “African experience” by Boddington. “Africa with Craig Boddington” is an excellent dvd that might still be available and is good stuff-all these were available from Amazon at one time. The information is kinda like factory ammo-it’s good for everybody but it can be improved on and there are other options-but it will get you where you need to be.
The problem with forum based info is that you get a full spectrum of info. For example, start a thread on which boots to wear on your next safari and you will get 47 answers and 45 of them will be different. And then you see Ivan Carter hunting barefoot and Buzz Charlton in crocs. . .Didn’t those guys read in the forum that they will surely get thorns in their feet or break an ankle?!
Your ph should be the first person you ask these and other pressing questions.
The best info on travel I got was from a guy who had just been on his first safari and just come back.
So the forums can be good but there is a whole lot to sort through and it will vary widely! But planning is half the fun-but good books and good authors can condense it into digestible chunks.

One last thought-I bought a book called “Ask the Namibian Guides.” Great fun to read but absolutely confusing because the guides agreed on very few things! For example boots: one guy says “tall boots get too hot”, the next recommends “7 inch, full-leather boots with crepe soles of natural rubber for quiet stalking on the savanna, and heavy-duty, non insulated boots for mountain backpack hunts”, and another “lightweight shoes that have been broken in” and one ph that recommends the brand and boot that bears his own name. BUT if you called and asked the one guy you were going to hunt with, he could give you one straight answer.
The section on guns was mind boggling!!!
I do really like the podcast type videos on here-I listen to them on the treadmill. Nathan askew did some question answer videos that were interesting and left me wanting to hear more of what he had to say-

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BMR0728

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double