Safari Books

gbflyer

Bronze supporter
AH elite
Joined
Dec 24, 2020
Messages
1,041
Reaction score
2,193
Media
5
Articles
1
What’s your favorite…maybe one not so well known? Could be old or more modern.
 
Months of the Sun - Nyschens
For the Honour of a Hunter - Seth-smith (maybe the best, most ‘ complete’ Safari book out there)
 
What’s your favorite…maybe one not so well known? Could be old or more modern.
HORNED DEATH, John Burger. MAHOHBOH, Ron Thomson. WILD BEASTS AND THEIR WAYS, Sir Samuel Baker. HUNTING THE DANGEROUS GAME OF AFRICA, John Kingsley-Heath. MONTHS OF THE SUN, Ian Nyschens. BIG GAME AND BIG GAME RIFLES, John Taylor. FIREFORCE, Chris Cocks. THE WANDERINGS OF AN ELEPHANT HUNTER, W. D. M. Bell. A GAME RANGER'S NOTEBOOK, A. Blaney Percival. SEALOUS SCOUTS, Ron Reid Daly
 
I am starting my safari reading journey (didn’t grow up with it like many here).

So far, my short list of reads:
- Elephant!, Boddington
- Buffalo!, Boddington
- Horn of the Hunter, Ruark
- African Game Trails, Roosevelt
- Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter, Bell

Boddington is definitely dry, but Buffalo! I found to be very informative and positive in its tone.

Ruark is fun to read, but I consider him an example of what not to do. (i.e., showed up without using his guns beforehand, drank waaaay too much)

Bell has written my favorite story so far, his level of experience rings through and the adventure feels genuine. However, it’s disjointed as it’s a collection of highlights instead of a coherent story…still, though, my favorite thus far.
 
I just re read one of Kevin Thomas’ books and once again enjoyed it immensely. Easy to find on Amazon. I think I will re read Hemingway again next. Lots of good suggestions!
 
Good ones, thanks. Many I have not heard of. I am reading Green Hills for the umpteenth time, just finished Horn again.
 
IMG_7526.JPG
Here are some good Africa hunting books from my library.
 
I know that this one isn’t so unknown but it’s still a good one. Snows of Kilimanjaro by Ernest Hemingway, the finally short story in the book is really good
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Just a few more:
LAND OF THE BLACK BUFFALO, Paul Smiles. BWANA COTTON, Cotton Gordon. A HUNTER'S WANDERINGS IN AFRICA, F. C. Selous. NYATI and NDLOVU, Mag-Set Publications (Pvt) Ltd. BIG GAME HUNTING IN NORTHERN RHODESIA, Owen Letcher. AFRICAN GAME TRAILS, Teddy Roosevelt. INTO THE THORNS, Wayne Michael Grant.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,345
Messages
1,573,603
Members
169,771
Latest member
MaritaLund
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top