• Selous

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Smith

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • O'Connor

Votes: 21 67.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
When the casual NON-hunting public sees this sort of rubbish, it is no wonder why many of them appear more and more to be joining the fanatic ANTI-hunting camp, seemingly by the millions.
But, don't get me started on our staggering Public Relations Debacle.

300 yards is about the maximum range to make a quick guess and holdover for any significant amount of wind. getting elevation close is pretty much an exact science when the distance is known, wind is another story entirely. Our prey deserve better than paper targets and steel gongs. Some of the stuff I see on TV is just disgusting.

I get so SICK of people who want to play sniper or G.I. Joe while they are hunting. How many people on the long range hunting forum post pictures of a target they shot at 900 yards and then get egged on by some of the other idiots on that forum that they should go out an hunt with that gun and load out to 1000 yards. What they didn't show you were the previous 8 targets they shot where they barely got all their rounds on paper after 3 or 4 sighters. Even hypervelocity rifle bullets don't expand well at those ranges. so you are penciling game. I wish these people would live in reality and not some fantasy world where their last name is Hathcock. They think they are snipers. The problem is... they have never met any snipers and if they had they would realize that snipers are who they are, not just because they are some of the very best shots on the planet, and have tens of thousands or rounds and scenarios under their belt, but because they are also excellent at a host of other skills, like reading wind, spotting, range estimation and tracking, espionage, reconnaissance, and just plain used to being miserable and stressed for weeks on end. They are also some of the most physically fit people on the planet. I don't want to be a sniper, it is one of the hardest jobs on the planet, that very VERY few people ever make it to. Being a good shot doesn't make you a sniper. Real military snipers on a kill mission get as close as they can to their target without risking exposure so that they are sure of their shot.

An then there's 350lb Bubba, who got hissef' a "snipa' rifle" and thinks that because he saw the movie "Shooter" and he can occasionally hit something at 400 yards and has 100 rounds through his rifle, that he is a sniper and can "shoot the wings off a skeeter" at 5 miles. People need to get a dose of reality and not think so highly of themselves that they cause an animal to suffer. But the fact is, they don't care. They don't have a conscience even though they will tell you they do. No one, if asked, will tell you that they love to kill things. But the fact of the matter is, these kind of people think wounding an animal is a game and they love just hurting things even if they don't recover it. Makes me sick.

It's idiots like this who shouldn't be allowed to have hunting licenses, or guns in general. If you can't take a safe, ethical shot at game with the rifle you have, then why should we trust you with any gun at any range, including the target range.

Sorry for the rant... but some "hunters" are complete idiots and it ticks me off.

I watched an episode of "Best of the West" a couple years ago where the editing made it look like they made an extremely long one-shot kill on a moose. They accidently left in a 1 second piece as the camera was panning, and you could clearly see a pile of spent brass on the ground next to the rifle. Not good.

Long range shooting is a skill.
Close range stalking is an art.
There are many who have skill.
There are very few Artists.

totally 100% agree my daddy taught me a rule to live about shooting he said" don't take it if you can't make it period'! All about as someone else sagely quoted clint eastwood a mans gotta know his limits.
and i hate those BS shows on Tv that show some A hole shooting at some poor animal at an absurd range.
I know for a fact one of those videos is 100% edited the bozo shot at a stag in NZ at 600 yds hit it in the ass the 3rd shot and the guide had to finish it but boy on the edited version it was a great one shot bwana kill! too bad I was the next client in and heard all about it and saw an uncut version of the BS! just encourages weekend warriors to think they can shoot massive distances beyond there limits and gives us all a bad name

I think too many think the first available shot presented is the one to take. I took a lot of heat from real 1000 yard- cover my 10 shot group with a quarter- any time internet gurus, but... If bow hunters can get within 40 yards why can't I as a rifle hunter get within 200 yards? I must confess without a lot of special circumstances, 200 is my off hand max.

Yes, I feel inferior.

I must confess without a lot of special circumstances, 200 is my off hand max.

200 yards off-hand is bragging for me ... and no, I don't feel inferior and neither should anyone else who focuses on the "hunt" over the "shot."

@TallGrassHunter i wouldn't feel bad about your off hand skills. I don't think I can shoot past 225 yards off sticks reliably after much practice. It's just not easy to do in the heat (mental and physical) of the moment. nerves have gotten the best of me on shots much closer. You're fine and actually in the top <1% of shooters if you can off hand pie plates at 200 yards.

Rookhawk, we shoot metal plates set at ~100 intervals to about 400 or so yards. They are set at about 8500' elevation and go into/across gulches to the last visible ridge line. The plates are rectangular, 12" x 8". As unbelievable as it sounds, of the two rifles I shoot best, one is an as issued Swiss 1899 - 6.5 x 55, no scope. For some unexplainable reason, I shoot better off hand than kneeling or prone. For comparison, the other gun I shoot best is a 243 Tikka with 16x scope. My son, 16, and I practice quite a bit and he's nipping at my heels.

That video makes me mad. A bad name for hunters everywhere..... just not how you do it. Unethical comes to mind... bruce

I am proud to be a hunter not a sniper. I believe taking ultra long range shots at animals is unethical. I will give up hunting before resorting to such activity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinPr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!