Rule Change May Devastate International Travel for US Hunters and Shooters

libertarian

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
NRA Life/Endowment member
Hunted
USA, South Africa
https://www.nraila.org/articles/201...international-travel-for-hunters-and-shooters

A 2012 State Department rule change added an important new requirement that the traveler declare rifles or handguns “upon each departure” by presenting documentation generated through the Commerce Department’s “Automated Export System” (AES)--an online reporting tool designed for use by businesses. (Non-“combat” shotguns are not regulated by the State Department, so the AES requirement does not apply to temporary shotgun exports.) The rule change was buried in a Federal Register notice aimed at authorizing the temporary export of gas masks by government employees and contractors.

Fortunately, the change was never enforced—until now. In postings on the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) website and in internal ICE documents obtained by NRA-ILA, ICE makes clear that it has begun enforcing the rule change. Form 4457 may no longer be used for firearms, and electronic declarations will be the norm.

However, ICE’s internal documents implicitly acknowledge that individuals are currently unable to use the AES because the system requires entry of an Employer Identification Number. Those numbers are normally only obtained by businesses, and the Internal Revenue Service says they should only be used for tax purposes.

I really think whoever wrote the NRA-ILA article got it all from the thread here. We discussed every bit of information in there!

I really think whoever wrote the NRA-ILA article got it all from the thread here. We discussed every bit of information in there!

Emails possibly work, I know in the one that I sent my Representatives I referenced the thread here but have never heard back from them. Go figure.

I also sent one to the NRA but didn't reference the thread on here but someone could of.

Yes, this is old news to anyone that keeps up with this forum!

I have sent an inquiry to my CongreeWOMAN but I doubt I'll hear back as she is a big bamster supporter.

This system does have a learning curve, no doubt.

Glad to say I finally got my EEI all squared away, submitted it, and 5 minutes later had an email with my ITN.

Glad that is over!!!

Maybe someone who has gone through it can write up a step by step directions sheet :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg