Ruger No. 1

Agree with Kevin, not a finer production single shot rifle made, at least IMO. Have used my 1B in 7mm rem mag going on 20 years for mule deer every year, also have a 416 Ruger that I have not taken to Africa yet as my dang bow always get preferential treatment:)

Truly, one if these beauties is worth 2.1k if you are going to use it, or even if you just gotta have one.
Can be difficult, limiting oneself to only one ... just speaking from my own experiences

I bpught some english walnut stock set for it. Semi finished. Oil finishing it. Right now is with my ffl who does stock fitting and pad work.. once i get it back more oil finishing will be done. Long project. Takes a lot of curing time.
Krish
Lots of love invested, not to mention the workmanship.

To stir the blood of some (including me!) posted on Australian website, Usedguns.com.au. Price is in Australian dollars (presently about 0.67/US $1.00). Will one of you enlightened gentlemen take this on, and stop my slobbering on the keyboard?
I'll try to post a photo and contact details, if interested ...
Calibre/Item: 500 Jeffrey
Make: Ruger
Model: No 1
Condition: New
Price: $2900
Advertised: 07/06/2023
Comment: Ruger No1 in 500 Jeffrey in very good condition, custom stock in black walnut which has been specifically made to handle the 500 Jeffrey with...
Private Ad State: QLD
More Details / Contact Seller

I don't agree with the argument that No1's are lesser for DG. You can reload them just as fast as a bolt gun, and from that second on there are no mechanical mishaps to happen, it will go bang. How many times have I seen mishaps upon reloading a bolt? Too many. Not knocking bolts, but to discount a No1 without honestly taking the 'bolt mishap factor' into account isn't correct or fair.
I am not speaking loosely, I took my buff with a Ruger No1 in 375 H&H.
On the followup the PH's Winchester bolt failed to load TWICE.
My buddy using the very same No1 on our DG comp won the field, full house, fastest time.
Never a mishap yet, but every single DG comp out of a field of 16 people or so there is a feed or extraction mishap, every single time.

With all due respect to our friends, that’s a Zimbabwe problem that exists nowhere else. Never have I seen poorer conditioned guns, mistreated and neglected, than I have in Zimbabwe. Literally, PHs had guns that were fit for the trash can and would have had zero cash value in the USA.

Generally speaking, a CRF bolt action rifle can reliably feed without incident over thousands of rounds.

Guys, I ended up ordering a Jard replacement trigger for mine. I installed it a week or two ago. I ordered it with the 1.75# spring, and also ordered a replacement 2.5# spring also in case the other one was too light. I will say it was a pain in the butt, and took an hour or two to get done. It was also my first time ever taking an Ruger #1 down to work on. Like others noted in reviews, mine at first install was at 1.5# to begin with, but I easily adjusted it to be right at 2#. It was worth the time and it is 1million times better than the factory trigger. I would definitely recommend the upgrade!! It even got rid of the slight bit of creep/travel the OEM trigger had as well.
I have owned three Number 1s over the years and have sold them to friends who just had to have one.

After reading this thread and others, I have purchased another...a Model 1A in 30-06. It appeared to be in very good shape from the listing pictures.
Received the rifle today and was pleasantly surprised.

Now comes the dreaded eye relief issues common with the Number 1.
Plan to use a Leupold VX lll in 4.5-14.

20230609_190308.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have owned three Number 1s over the years and have sold them to friends who just had to have one.

After reading this thread and others, I have purchased another...a Model 1A in 30-06. It appeared to be in very good shape from the listing pictures.

View attachment 538898
That looks very good. Speak to @rookhawk about an Extended Eye relief Swarovski scope.

Last edited by a moderator:

View attachment 538898

Looks like you should have bought a lottery ticket that day! Beautiful wood. If 6x will work for you, that scope Rookhawk has for sale is perfect. The VX3’s do have better eye relief than most. I have a 4.5-14 VX3 on my No1 in .22 hornet. It’s OK, but not the perfect solution.

View attachment 538898
That’s a beautiful stock!!!

I have two #1s a 30-06 and a 416 Rigby. Being left eye dominate I have use single shot rifles as my primary hunting rifle for over 3 decades. My Rigby wieghts a slim 11-1/2 pounds and is much easier on the shoulder than a 470NE double rifle. As for accuracy it clover leafs three shot groups at 100 yards, what more could you ask for from a DG rifle.

That looks very good. Speak to @rookhawk about an Extended Eye relief Swarovski scope.

Another way to "win the game" of scoping the very feisty Ruger #1 is this:

The hands-down, very best quality "cheap scope" out there is the $650 Swarovski 3-9x36mm optic. Because of the smaller bell, it can slide further back in the rings without bumping into the folding express sight on the quarter rib. (I'm always assuming you're using low rings)

The next piece of the puzzle is a factory ruger 1" OFFSET ring set. They are about $100, OR you can mail Ruger a brand new set of rings that came with your gun and exchange them free of charge for an offset ring or a different height.

Between offset rings that slide the scope back another 3/4", plus a sensible stalking rifle optic like that z3 36mm, you can scope a Ruger #1 without going to extraordinary effort or cost.

Whatever you do, please don't solve the problem with High and Extra High rings. It looks ridiculous. You have no cheek weld. The recoil becomes fierce in any caliber, etc. There is a better way, just think before you do.

Exactly what I used on this Leupold 4.5-14×40. Worked out very well.
Now to figure out if it shoots.....View attachment 540112

You did the very best you could do with the tricky #1.

What we SHOULD do to these guns but no one has done commerically as of yet, is mill the top of the receiver flat, install a tally base, drill and tap the quarter rib, install another tally base, then the scope rings are in the right place to use QD Talley Rings and the problems are now gone. Why ruger decided to keep the terrible scope design all these years, I have no idea. Things barely fit on stock Ruger #1s, if you have a custom stock or a longer pad, which many modern shooters need, things went from horribly hard to scope to darned near impossible.

I'd point out that Dakota 10s don't suffer these same problems, but they had the benefit of building a gun in the late 20th century when tall people were the norm, whereas Bill Ruger designed his #1 in the 1950s when everyone was a midget with a 13.5" LOP and the scopes were 33mm or less.

Exactly what I used on this Leupold 4.5-14×40. Worked out very well.
Now to figure out if it shoots.....View attachment 540112
J Mac was that stock re-finished at some stage? Ie was the lacquer taken off and now oil finished? It looks like satin, very good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luchkabody

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!