Ruger No. 1

No, should have but kind of looking the right 9.3.

Saw a nice no1 today in cabelas in Hamburg PA, 300H&H. Nice wood $2300.

New or used? Not listed on the used section.

This will be the year I finally pick up a Ruger No. 1. I have mulling it over for the better part of a decade. The problem I am having might be common to the uninitiated, what cartridge do I get it in. I am currently looking at 300 HH, 416 Rigby, 450/400. Currently I am looking online, but there is a gun show this weekend that is pretty good so there is no telling on what will be there. I would appreciate any input from owners of these fine rifles. I also reload everything I own so ammo would not be to much of an issue. Thanks.
I have the number 1 in four calibers at this point. The 375 H&H is my go to for all around use. I previously had a number 1 in 458 Lott and it was a real thumper on the shoulder. If you can get one In 416 Rigby go for it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 7.57.59 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 7.57.59 AM Large.jpeg
    194.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 7.58.00 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 7.58.00 AM Large.jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 7.58.01 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 7.58.01 AM Large.jpeg
    123.3 KB · Views: 31
No, I did not.

Called gun library, waiting for a callback.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 7.58.43 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 7.58.43 AM Large.jpeg
    232 KB · Views: 35
  • Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 7.58.44 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 7.58.44 AM Large.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 7.58.52 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 7.58.52 AM Large.jpeg
    235.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 7.58.53 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 7.58.53 AM Large.jpeg
    165.7 KB · Views: 34
The Ruger No. 1 is an attractive rifle. I have one that was built from an action in the white. With a 25"Brux barrel chambered for 25-'06 it is lightweight and extremely accurate. This is a great rifle for the Coues whitetail deer we have here is Arizona.

I would think twice before buying a No. 1 in a DG caliber for two reasons...

1. DG calibers have a lot of recoil and No. 1 rifles don't do recoil well. Two piece stocks and lightweight are not compatible with calibers above .375 H&H, IMO.

2. Are you REALLY going to hunt DG with a single shot? Maybe, but you might decide, for reasons of safety and applicabllity, that you would prefer a bolt gun or double rifle.

Ruger No.1.jpg

I recently joined a "Ruger No. 1 Enthusiasts" group on Facebook, and one of the members just posted a comment that the No. 1 has been made in 64 different calibers and he owns 41 of them. Wow (on both points)! :)

I’ve called 5 times, no answer and no call back.

The Ruger No. 1 is an attractive rifle. I have one that was built from an action in the white. With a 25"Brux barrel chambered for 25-'06 it is lightweight and extremely accurate. This is a great rifle for the Coues whitetail deer we have here is Arizona.

I would think twice before buying a No. 1 in a DG caliber for two reasons...

1. DG calibers have a lot of recoil and No. 1 rifles don't do recoil well. Two piece stocks and lightweight are not compatible with calibers above .375 H&H, IMO.

2. Are you REALLY going to hunt DG with a single shot? Maybe, but you might decide, for reasons of safety and applicabllity, that you would prefer a bolt gun or double rifle.

View attachment 538124

@Nevada Mike what you have there is a true gentleman’s stalking rifle. It seems perfect for pronghorn and mule deer. I agree with you, the #1 is a gentleman’s stalking rifle, but may not be the right choice facing down Black Death. Your’s is lovely and understated, just like the typical owner.

At one stage, I think Ruger No 1 actions, or barrelled actions were available ex-factory; true? Long time back...

I don't agree with the argument that No1's are lesser for DG. You can reload them just as fast as a bolt gun, and from that second on there are no mechanical mishaps to happen, it will go bang. How many times have I seen mishaps upon reloading a bolt? Too many. Not knocking bolts, but to discount a No1 without honestly taking the 'bolt mishap factor' into account isn't correct or fair.
I am not speaking loosely, I took my buff with a Ruger No1 in 375 H&H.
On the followup the PH's Winchester bolt failed to load TWICE.
My buddy using the very same No1 on our DG comp won the field, full house, fastest time.
Never a mishap yet, but every single DG comp out of a field of 16 people or so there is a feed or extraction mishap, every single time.

I don't agree with the argument that No1's are lesser for DG. You can reload them just as fast as a bolt gun, and from that second on there are no mechanical mishaps to happen, it will go bang. How many times have I seen mishaps upon reloading a bolt? Too many. Not knocking bolts, but to discount a No1 without honestly taking the 'bolt mishap factor' into account isn't correct or fair.
I am not speaking loosely, I took my buff with a Ruger No1 in 375 H&H.
On the followup the PH's Winchester bolt failed to load TWICE.
My buddy using the very same No1 on our DG comp won the field, full house, fastest time.
Never a mishap yet, but every single DG comp out of a field of 16 people or so there is a feed or extraction mishap, every single time.
I agree with you. The no.1 is less likely to have a mishap. With practice the second shot is pretty fast a d the PH is also there with a stopper.

Agree with Kevin, not a finer production single shot rifle made, at least IMO. Have used my 1B in 7mm rem mag going on 20 years for mule deer every year, also have a 416 Ruger that I have not taken to Africa yet as my dang bow always get preferential treatment:)

Truly, one if these beauties is worth 2.1k if you are going to use it, or even if you just gotta have one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg