Ruger No.1 As and reloads for the .35 Whelen

• Thread starter Deleted member 74105
  • Start date
CFE223 does show promise in mine as well, as does Varget. Recently did some good shooting with 225 Nos Parts with Varget, up to 61grs of it, no pressure signs, best groups were 59-61.
I have the 24" 1-S like chef ray does.

CFE223 does show promise in mine as well, as does Varget. Recently did some good shooting with 225 Nos Parts with Varget, up to 61grs of it, no pressure signs, best groups were 59-61.
I have the 24" 1-S like chef raTha
Thanks for sharing, I have some Varget and plenty of 225/250 Nosler bullets. Get pretty good groups out of the 22 inch barrel at 200 yards with factory 250 gr. Remington loads. Will try out some 250 Gr. handloads.

Thanks Bob, have some good stuff for my model 700 Classic in .35 Whelen. Now experimenting with the No. 1 in .35 Whelen. It really likes the 250 Gr. Remington factory Core-lockts. Just ordered some Hornady 250 Gr. Interlock spire points to test out. No round points to be found. Got some partitions and accubonds I'm sitting on since they are hard to find and Nosler is quite proud of them with their current prices.
@LT Backstrap
Hornady has discontinued the 250gr roundnose unfortunately but Woodleigh still has them. You might find some old stock around
The 250gr spire point is good so is the 250gr speer. Both should be able to be driven to 2,700 fps. I get a tad over with the speer and cfe223 with no pressure signs. If using the Hornady Interlock start lower and work up.
4,000fpe of muzzle energy puts a big hurt on game for a fair way out younder so the old Whelen is no slouch in that department.
Bob

@sestoppelman
Try working up to 64 grains of cfe

@sestoppelman
Ses try working up to 64 grains with the partition. Apparently the 250 partition and the 250gr speer hotcore are identical in BC so it makes a good practice round instead of the More expensive partition.
With the 225 accubonds I worked up to 65 gn of CFE223 with no issues or pressure signs but that was in MY RIFLE. START LOWER AND WORK UP. That load gave me 2,900fps out of my 25 inch barrel.
Have fun and be safe, you will be surprised what the Whelen can really do.
Bob

@LT Backstrap
Hornady has discontinued the 250gr roundnose unfortunately but Woodleigh still has them. You might find some old stock around
The 250gr spire point is good so is the 250gr speer. Both should be able to be driven to 2,700 fps. I get a tad over with the speer and cfe223 with no pressure signs. If using the Hornady Interlock start lower and work up.
4,000fpe of muzzle energy puts a big hurt on game for a fair way out younder so the old Whelen is no slouch in that department.
Bob
Woodleigh may be another hard find with their factory burning up back in late November of last year. I hope they make it back. Really enjoyed their heavy 7mms.

LT Backstrap, I reload for several different 35 Whelen(s). Normally I use IMR 4064. As mentioned, Speer Hot Core make cheap practice rounds and are more than adequate for deer hog and small bear. All three of the Whelen(s) I load for have been to Africa and acquitted themselves well, however I did use better bullets. IMHO the 35 Whelen is very much underappreciated especially when loaded to its' full potential. Rifles were / are a Sporterized Remington 03- A3, a Remington 700, and a TC Encore. BTW Hornady's 200 Gr. SST Superformance loads will get your attention.

LT Backstrap, I reload for several different 35 Whelen(s). Normally I use IMR 4064. As mentioned, Speer Hot Core make cheap practice rounds and are more than adequate for deer hog and small bear. All three of the Whelen(s) I load for have been to Africa and acquitted themselves well, however I did use better bullets. IMHO the 35 Whelen is very much underappreciated especially when loaded to its' full potential. Rifles were / are a Sporterized Remington 03- A3, a Remington 700, and a TC Encore. BTW Hornady's 200 Gr. SST Superformance loads will get your attention.
Thanks for the share Shootist, Agree, great round and not as appreciated by the masses, but that's ok for folks like us, we get it. Tried some 200 gr. Interlock handloads, they were ok, good for target practice. Both of my Whelen's like the 225 and 250s better.

I had one, re barreled to 6.5cm, it was a mediocre shooter to say the least. I got the best accuracy out of her with 225gr Sierra game kings and a medium load or RL15. The bullets where seated way out with a longer COL then Sammi.

LTBackstrap, I totally agree with your preference for 225 and 250 Gr. bullets for the Whelen. They get the job done without the word "Magnum" in the picture.
Used the 225 Partitions on an Alaskan Caribou hunt years ago, made several 200 yard plus shots that dropped them in their tracks. Was a believer from then on, also good insurance in bear country.

@sestoppelman
Ses try working up to 64 grains with the partition. Apparently the 250 partition and the 250gr speer hotcore are identical in BC so it makes a good practice round instead of the More expensive partition.
With the 225 accubonds I worked up to 65 gn of CFE223 with no issues or pressure signs but that was in MY RIFLE. START LOWER AND WORK UP. That load gave me 2,900fps out of my 25 inch barrel.
Have fun and be safe, you will be surprised what the Whelen can really do.
Bob
Have a box ready for the range.

Woodleigh may be another hard find with their factory burning up back in late November of last year. I hope they make it back. Really enjoyed their heavy 7mms.
@LT Backstrap
They should be available as Woodleigh did a massive shipment before the fire. They were just waiting for the ship to be unloaded. From memory it was a couple of million projectiles.
B9b

@Shootist43
Art you haven't loaded any of my loads up yet to give a try. They get your attention especially the 250s at 2,700fps. This year I hope to work up some loads for the 275gn and looking for 2,500+ fps and the 310s to 2,300 fps if possible to do it safely.
Bob

Thanks for the share Shootist, Agree, great round and not as appreciated by the masses, but that's ok for folks like us, we get it. Tried some 200 gr. Interlock handloads, they were ok, good for target practice. Both of my Whelen's like the 225 and 250s better.
@LT Backstrap
I'm fortunate with my Whelen it's not fussy what goes down the barrel. In Namibia 5 different shooters fired 2 rounds each using 5 different projectiles and the resulting group was a nice 1.2 inch 10 shot 100 yard group.
The 200 grainers shoot an inch higher than the 225s and 250s. I have no complaints about accuracy out of my Whelen and 6 inch gongs at 300 yards are a boringly monotonous .
Bob

LTBackstrap, I totally agree with your preference for 225 and 250 Gr. bullets for the Whelen. They get the job done without the word "Magnum" in the picture.
@Shootist43
Art who needs a fire breathing shoulder slapping magnum for most game when you have a Whelen. It just gets the job done no fuss or bother.
Oh yeh that's right @CoElkHunter needs one of those fire breathing bitch slapping magnums in the baby 338. One day he may see the light and get a real rifle in the 35 Whelen. We live in hope but me thinks hell will freeze over before he sees the light.
Bob

Used the 225 Partitions on an Alaskan Caribou hunt years ago, made several 200 yard plus shots that dropped them in their tracks. Was a believer from then on, also good insurance in bear country.
@LT Backstrap
20200125_105551.jpg

A nice big Namibian zebra stallion taken with a 225gn Woodleigh PPSP at around 120 yards. One shot and done. My longest shot was 275 yards on my Impala using 225gn accubond.
Back home in Oz it makes for a dandy pig rifle and I have some 225gn Woodleigh roundnose loaded up to give then a try this year.
I considered loading up some 200gr cast with trail boss for finishers if needed but thought NAH if I do my job properly you don't need a finisher. I am having a ball with trail boss in my 25-20 tho using a massive load of 3.4 grains behind an 86gn cast. That's a hoot, zero recoil and cheap as chips to play with.
Bob

@Shootist43
Art who needs a fire breathing shoulder slapping magnum for most game when you have a Whelen. It just gets the job done no fuss or bother.
Oh yeh that's right @CoElkHunter needs one of those fire breathing bitch slapping magnums in the baby 338. One day he may see the light and get a real rifle in the 35 Whelen. We live in hope but me thinks hell will freeze over before he sees the light.
Bob
Ha! Ha! Maybe I'll get a .35 Whelen when OZ freezes over. Actually, if I had ever owned a .30-06 (other than a Garand I had) I probably would have gone the Whelen route. But, I didn't and don't now have a .30-06 rifle. I know, sacrilege! I did buy a slip on Limbsaver Air Tech recoil pad for my .338 and the recoil is fairly non existent. Felt recoil is like my .270, or thereabouts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg