Ruger M77 Alaskan vs Guide Gun

Here's my Alaskan in 416 Ruger. Installed a new H-S Precision stock on it today. Very pleased!
View attachment 269470
Well Toby and Idmay, while I still really dig the looks of your stock upgrades, it might be a while before I look into doing it myself. Right now I am loving the Hogue stock. I know it is ugly, but it feels so solid and balanced that ugly seems just right.

No, but I have not shot it without the scope yet. Even the boresighted scope was about 10 inches low. Haven't had enough range time yet, maybe this weekend

I look forward to a report.

How is the three seven five shooting?

Well Toby and Idmay, while I still really dig the looks of your stock upgrades, it might be a while before I look into doing it myself. Right now I am loving the Hogue stock. I know it is ugly, but it feels so solid and balanced that ugly seems just right.
John, the older I get the less I concern myself with looks. Personal function would be my objective. Like calibers, cartridges, rifles, etc; the end user should be satisfied.
My biggest issue with the Hogue is the forend is a bit fatter than I care for. And some of the recoil pads compressed more than I like, particularly on a couple of 416 Rugers.
Functional no issues. My rifles with fiberglass and bedded stocks, do not group much better if any, than when in the Hogue stock. And thus far all of the 375 and 416 Rugers have grouped 3 shots at 100 meters very well, with one non-tailored hand-load for each cartridge. And that is at least 6 different rifles.

yes. This is an OE stock that I textured and painted.
I’m tempted to see what would be required to have an HS Precision swapped to LH for this application.

I looked into aftermarket stocks, as I have McMillan stocks on almost of my rifles. The selection was very limited for lefties, unless you wanted to go custom. The time and money needed pushed me in the direction of painting the OE stock.

So sorry, lads, to be late to this party! BeeMaa sent it to me this morning, knowing my addiction for Ruger Alaskans.

I have the .375 Ruger and .416 Ruger varieties. Both still sport their Hogue over-molded stocks. I do not see that changing anytime soon. Love the vertical pistol grip and the flared fore end.

The .375 went to RSA in SEP. The .416 has only been to the range so far, however, it turns in 5 shot sub-minute groups at 100 yards.

Way back up in the thread someone commented about the handiness of the 20" barrel in tight quarters. I heartily second that comment. I carried the .375 with a sling attached in the same orientation as is used for AR-type rifles today. WHAT A GAME CHANGER!!!! Between the shorter barrel and the muzzle down orientation, it was never a boat anchor still hunting!!!! Cannot recommend this method enough! I am 95% of the way to epoxying in a QD cup into the TOP of the comb on my .495 A-Square to replace the boot lace arrangement on the .375 Ruger. Function over gilding. I will also likely set a QD cup into each side of the fore end to allow use from both shoulders and flatten the lay of the sling vs. having the sling stud on the bottom of the fore end as is shown on the .375 Ruger. I am left eye dominant/shoot lefty, and throw and right, right-handed. That weird combo lends a modest amount of ambi skill to my efforts to slay critters.

375 hanging from front.jpg

My .375 sports the VX5HD 1-5x24 with firedot reticle - perfection!

The .416 has an out of production VX-Freedom 1-4x20 firedot.

I am not a fan of carrying multiple loads, attaching, detaching scopes, etc.. My military days have me VERY respectful of Murphy, so I try to make things Marine-proof (if that is possible) and simple.

I muscle-memory learned to bring the rifle forward a couple of inches in front of the shirt, so I have never had the recoil pad snag when mounting the rifle. I think the Hogue recoil pad is very nice since I avoid the snagging via my mounting technique. I liked the look of the after-market stocks in the thread, but the original works so well I doubt I will ever change out. Mr. Krylon may pay a visit though...then again, these are for hunting, not sniping on a battlefield.

Thoroughly enjoyed this thread - thanks to all of the contributors.

So sorry, lads, to be late to this party! BeeMaa sent it to me this morning, knowing my addiction for Ruger Alaskans.

I have the .375 Ruger and .416 Ruger varieties. Both still sport their Hogue over-molded stocks. I do not see that changing anytime soon. Love the vertical pistol grip and the flared fore end.

The .375 went to RSA in SEP. The .416 has only been to the range so far, however, it turns in 5 shot sub-minute groups at 100 yards.

Way back up in the thread someone commented about the handiness of the 20" barrel in tight quarters. I heartily second that comment. I carried the .375 with a sling attached in the same orientation as is used for AR-type rifles today. WHAT A GAME CHANGER!!!! Between the shorter barrel and the muzzle down orientation, it was never a boat anchor still hunting!!!! Cannot recommend this method enough! I am 95% of the way to epoxying in a QD cup into the TOP of the comb on my .495 A-Square to replace the boot lace arrangement on the .375 Ruger. Function over gilding. I will also likely set a QD cup into each side of the fore end to allow use from both shoulders and flatten the lay of the sling vs. having the sling stud on the bottom of the fore end as is shown on the .375 Ruger. I am left eye dominant/shoot lefty, and throw and right, right-handed. That weird combo lends a modest amount of ambi skill to my efforts to slay critters.

View attachment 462255

My .375 sports the VX5HD 1-5x24 with firedot reticle - perfection!

The .416 has an out of production VX-Freedom 1-4x20 firedot.

I am not a fan of carrying multiple loads, attaching, detaching scopes, etc.. My military days have me VERY respectful of Murphy, so I try to make things Marine-proof (if that is possible) and simple.

I muscle-memory learned to bring the rifle forward a couple of inches in front of the shirt, so I have never had the recoil pad snag when mounting the rifle. I think the Hogue recoil pad is very nice since I avoid the snagging via my mounting technique. I liked the look of the after-market stocks in the thread, but the original works so well I doubt I will ever change out. Mr. Krylon may pay a visit though...then again, these are for hunting, not sniping on a battlefield.

Thoroughly enjoyed this thread - thanks to all of the contributors.
I like the Hogue as well. It is just a sturdy, and good-looking stock, and I really needed that slip-resistant rubber hunting the North Georgia mountains in freezing rain. I love the setup and am thinking about having one built with the same features and dimensions, but in 9.3x67.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg