Ruger Guide Gun Stock Upgrade

TOBY458

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
I've been hearing rumors of the stocks cracking on the Ruger Guide guns in 375 and 416 Ruger calibers. I decided to beat it to the punch, and installed a synthetic stock on mine today. This is a standard Ruger M77 sythetic stock that sells for $108 on the Brownell's website. I love the way this gun points and feels with this stock! The pistol grip is a bit thinner, and really makes this rifle feel perfect. The only "drawback " is that is shaves about a 1/4 lb off the weight of an already light rifle. Guess I'll have to let you all know how it shoots. Stay tuned!
20180511_164458.jpg

Ya the recoil will definitely increase. I love my guide rifle, not crazy about the color so let us know if point of impact has changed.

Say it isn’t so Toby!

I doubt the recoil will be any worse than a 600 nitro! Haha! If the impact is the same with both stocks, I'll probably us the sythetic stock at the range to keep from beating up the laminated stock, then I'll have the option of swapping stocks if I want to hunt with the laminated stock.

I have its predecessor, the Alaskan in .416 Ruger. It has the Hogue synthetic stock. Love it.
I have a Ruger .375 with the synthetic stock 20” non threaded barrel so it is an older model. TBH I was apprehensive at first, having never fired anything bigger than a 30-06 off the shoulder. It was a lot of worry about nothing. 3” magnum 12 gauge hunting loads are much worse.

I doubt the recoil will be any worse than a 600 nitro! Haha! If the impact is the same with both stocks, I'll probably us the sythetic stock at the range to keep from beating up the laminated stock, then I'll have the option of swapping stocks if I want to hunt with the laminated stock.

I AM a big supporter of replacing the factory planks that dress most mass produced rifles. Most of them these days are either cheap plastic or wood that is best suited for providing warmth.

However, I’m not really a fan of the idea of swapping back and forth for two reasons:
First, I am a firm believer in practicing exactly how you intend to perform. For me building familiarity with every aspect of a weapon is critical to the whole idea of practicing with it. This includes the stock.

Secondly, changing a stock can change the point of impact and the overall accuracy of a gun, sometimes dramatically.

My 2 cents.

I ended up sending this stock back and putting the factory stock back on. I spoke with Phil Shoemaker, who is an Alaskan hunting guide that had done this before. He said these plastic stocks won't take the recoil of a 375 or 416, in his experience.

Thanks for posting this pic, got to see what it looks like fitted to the guide gun barrel and action before I ordered one. I see Hogue only list the pillar bedded now and not the full alloy bed. Managed to find one left in stock at a gun shop in my state in Australia in black with the full alloy bed, going to fit it to my guide gun in 30-06. I'm starting to have issues with the action pulling into and squashing into the original laminate stock too much, probably my own fault for letting it come loose and then over tightening it too much a few times (should have used some thread locker) but still I doubt I will ever have that issue again with this Hogue stock I got coming my way.

I put a regular Ruger plastic stock on mine, similar to Toby 458. However I bedded it with steel reinforced glass bedding. That should make it a lot stronger. I also sanded out the barrel channel to free float it. Works great but you feel it go bang!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg