Ruger Guide Gun Review

Did a little work on my 375 Ruger Guide Gun. Free floated barrel, honed trigger sear angle, changed trigger spring, glass bed action and honed bolt rails. Working the action made it smooth and trigger pull is a constant crisp 1.5 pound trigger pull.may be too light for some folks but I am used to 2 pound trigger pulls. Finger doesn't even go in trigger guard unless I intend to shoot. I am using my Nosler 300gr. Accubond load traveling 2590fps. and getting a 3- shot group 1/2" group at 100yds. I am sighted in 2.25" high at 100yds. which it put it dead on at 200yds. Going to use this combo on my cow elk hunt in November. Only thing you need to make sure tongue of stock has enough relief between togue of action or else you get cracking at tongue of stock area. Already had that happen on 2 stocks. This last stock I drilled cross angle thru crack and filled in with glass oppoxee. Also relieved wood around action tang. Very happy with mine.

Wildrose my experience with the Ruger break has been ok when out in the open. Now under cover is a different story. If you are under a cover you better have ear plugs in!

I agree with you! Shooting under a sheet metal roof over the range benches is loud but shooting at game in the open I hardly heard the shot. Heard more of the bullet hitting the animal more.

That's a big ole boy! Out of curiosity what bullet? Where was the shot placed? More than one?

What little I know of the wild water buff is that they are close in size and toughness to the cape buffalo but generally not as bad tempered, at least until they are hit.

I can only imagine what a task it was getting him out of that mud flat!

Yeah you are pretty much spot on - very similar in a lot of ways and generally not as bad tempered. Although as you say they can be pretty wild especially if they know you are there before you shoot. As you can imagine mature bulls have no predators (other than man) so these guys are fairly confident.

I loaded 270gr TSX's - hit him 4 times broadside (shoulder/heart/lungs/lungs) at 30 yds and not one bullet exited. Probably only needed two shots but bullets are cheap. I will post a brief report and some pics in a separate thread.

Fortunately he came right off the flood plain to where we were waiting in some low scrub. I waited for him to walk clear of the soft mud onto the dried out edge.

Cheers,
JWB300

Wildrose my experience with the Ruger break has been ok when out in the open. Now under cover is a different story. If you are under a cover you better have ear plugs in!

My experience is entirely different to yours. I shot out in the open when hunting in April. My hearing hasn't recovered. No more breaks for me unless I am off the bench and wearing plugs and ear muffs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
outlookindia012

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg