A.Sharpe

AH veteran
Reaction score
Website
www.sharpeknives.com
Media
Hunted
USA , including Alaska
Just left Gander Mt. in Winston- Salem NC. They have a used Ruger #1 in 450-400 NE for $999.00 doesn't that seem a little high ? Is a nice gun though. Just thought I'd throw a heads up in case someone is interested.

Ruger #1 is a very reliable rifle with " The Class" and it's accuracy. I have owned two cal .375H&H. I have sold them after a couple of years just to get another kind of rifles ... Saw from Europe the price is good, not exceptionnal .. but good , if the rifle is closed to the "new" , I think it's a good bargain
I dont know in your country , but here in Europa if you want this rifle cal 450-400 NE you must wait about 6 months to get it !!! and it's not sure you can get it !!
It's a very good caliber, different than the .375H&H, but it's well suited with the #1. This is an african caliber, but not the #1 .. DG dislike this gun , cause "One shot" ... of course .. but I think for a non african use , it's a very,very interesting rifle !

I just found it unusual for where I live. Here African caliber rifles are few and far between. You can easily get them if you order them, but, few and far between on the shelf. Also anything over 375 ammo is scarce. Here in North Carolina the .270 is very popular .

You wont find many of those anywhere in the states, except by mail order or the net. I had the Ruger once, shot great, kicked the hell out of me and gave me recoil headache. I sold it when I got the CZ .404 Jeffery. Same power levels, kicked much less. I love the #1 rifle but not in the heavy kickers.

I really want a double. I will probably end up with a Model 70. in 458. I like the 70 and am familiar with the rifle in lower calibers.

apologies on bringing an old thread back to life :

what's your views and opinions on the Ruger #1 , ecspecially in the 450/400 ?

• recoil vs a bolt action's recoil
  • open sights
  • only having 1 shot
  • etc
thanks

I had one that cal. It kicked the hell out of me! Only rifle I ever had that gave me a recoil headache. I love the #1 rifles, but the big boys kick more than a bolt gun. It would at least need a thicker pad installed. Sights are good, one shot is usually all one needs, and the PH is there to back up. I have owned more than a few but now only have a 7x57 and a super sweet shooting stainless in .257 Roberts. Both are keepers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KazukoWink

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.