Rolex- the stupidest, lamest company

To be honest that is true to a certain extent but the Omegas do hit a floor and the start appreciating again! My Planet Ocean “full kit” I bought for $2300 some years back. That watch was $5500 new so that owner lost over 50% on my watch!!!
But now I see that my watch “full kit” is running $6,000 to $7,000! So it is on the plus side and will keep appreciating!
There are some Speedmasters and Seamasters bought in the 70’s for $500 that are worth well north of $10,000…
So Omega was once upon a time where Rolex is now as “THE” watch to be seen in but now doesn’t have the “panache” that Rolex does and therefore does not command the secondary market that Rolex does…
Being and owner of both I will absolutely, positively tell you that while the Rolex’s command more attention and value, the Omega Planet Ocean is a much more accurate, tougher and to me better looking watch than the Submariner and hands down the Speedmaster is a better more accurate watch than the Daytona!!!

All that said I’m wearing my Franck Muller Casablanca today View attachment 590967
I’ve had 7 omega and every time I tell myself exactly what you are saying. I marvel at how pretty they are, fit and finish better than Rolex, etc.

Then I find I don’t hardly ever wear them and I move them on. Ha.

I think in the 3-5 range Tudor is the best thing going. I’m also partial to IWC.

I like how reading this thread I'm apparently middle class with my Citizen Navihawks. I have 4 of those actually. One for each of my nephews and niece when I kick the bucket, and a matching but much fancier F900 for my daughter. I like the radio controlled time on them, they are built like tanks, and having Local/Home/UTC time is awesome. I suppose except the F900 which doesn't have the complications but is set by GPS.

I started to post this earlier, but took it down. Seeing some of these comments now think it can add a data point on the practical use component of at least some Rolex models.

In 1976, I was a young (really young!) deckhand on a marlin fishing boat, which won a tournament with large prize money. The boat owners gave us a watch as a thank you for helping. We could choose either a Rolex Submariner or the Omega like the astronauts wore.

I chose the Rolex Submariner because the NRA magazine had run ads of men wearing them in Viet Nam, going on safari, and climbing mountains in them. They were tough, rugged watches for men doing tough rugged things. Back then, it was about $400.

This is the only watch I own and have worn it 24/7/365 for the last 48 years. Now, I take it off when showering just to keep the soap film from building up or working on equipment where it or my wedding ring might catch. Otherwise, it is on all the time.

I have worn it outdoors shooting including 10’s of 1,000’s of rounds of pistol and about as many with a rifle and ten x that with a shotgun, hunting, fishing including offshore, skiing both water and snow, climbing a few mountains back in my younger years, and traveling four continents. I wore it in Tanzania and never worried about it either. It has been deep in bloody goo cleaning deer and pigs. Wash it off and give it a splash of rubbing alcohol and it is ready to go.

It does look nice, but I have worn for 48 years now because it works when I need it to work. It has been in for a refurb with new crystal three times and replaced the band twice.

View attachment 590962
What a great story and a classic watch. That's the essence of what I love about Rolex.

I remember the crash in 2008. I had a friend that put most of his money into used gold Rolex Presidents. He paid no more than scrap value. Figured he had something more than scrap and if not, he’d would just melt them down.

They don’t always go up.

Being a simpleton in the lower middle class has its perks I see. Can't afford to spend what a Rolex usually brings but even if I could, I would have a hard time spending that much on something I wouldn't wear that performs a task a cheap digital clock or iPhone does.

Yeah, I'm not into heavy gold necklaces or "body art". If someone drugged my beer and tattooed me, I'd probably jump in front of a bus when I came to.

Every year I tell my brother, "This season I WILL remember to remove my watch before I gut the deer." And every year without fail I forget. This year I finally remembered ... one out of three bucks anyway. I imagine you guys with Rolex watches would swoon if you forgot and sent them swimming in blood. :D Guess I'm still a working class guy at heart. Because my dad was. And his dad before him.

I have had my Rolex covered in blood more times than I can count. I literally wear it for everything. It’s a stainless steel tool watch, blood isn’t going to hurt it one bit.

The implication that those of us that like a nice watch aren’t working class guys says more about you than us. I work my ass off for 12+ hours a day to have a nice life. I spent 16 years away from my family 280 nights a year, I’ve been shot twice, blown up 3 times, had a helicopter roll over on me, had a joint replacement in my 30s from a parachute injury, I do my own landscaping, I change my own oil, I never inherited a dime from anyone, and I wear a nice watch that my grandkids can appreciate when they’re my age and one of them is wearing it. I feel exactly zero remorse about being successful, it was brutally difficult.

We all look forward to your next passive aggressive dig at everyone that doesn’t think exactly like you.

I have had my Rolex covered in blood more times than I can count. I literally wear it for everything. It’s a stainless steel tool watch, blood isn’t going to hurt it one bit.

The implication that those of us that like a nice watch aren’t working class guys says more about you than us. I work my ass off for 12+ hours a day to have a nice life. I spent 16 years away from my family 280 nights a year, I’ve been shot twice, blown up 3 times, had a helicopter roll over on me, had a joint replacement in my 30s from a parachute injury, I do my own landscaping, I change my own oil, I never inherited a dime from anyone, and I wear a nice watch that my grandkids can appreciate when they’re my age and one of them is wearing it. I feel exactly zero remorse about being successful, it was brutally difficult.

We all look forward to your next passive aggressive dig at everyone that doesn’t think exactly like you.
Cool story, but from the Rolex owners I know, I imagine he's not that incorrect. The people on this board, statistically, are probably not the same demographics as most Rolex owners I would guess. Nearly everyone that I have personally met that wears one, tends to baby it more than a Casio for instance. My point is, I would personally not read into that comment enough to respond so vehemently.

AMEN! Well said.(y)

Thirty nine years ago when I bought mine, it was a Mercedes-Benz car, Rolex watch and an S.T. DuPont lighter. I would still buy the Mercedes and the Rolex. But I must admit I would like a Patek too.

Thank you for mentioning Patek. The Patek Calatrava is my very favorite watch. Maybe someone will mention Jaeger LeCoultre.
Both are very well regarded among watch cognoscenti.

Well, I  did add a smiley emoticon = touch of sarcasm. But just a touch. :D

My take as a Rolex and Omega owner.

Omega makes watches that are at least as good as Rolex, if not marginally better. Similar quality of construction, similar if not better movements, similar if not better accuracy, equivalently good case design (excepting maybe the Submariner which is arguably a little better in some technical respects than my Planet Ocean), better history to the brand.

However, Rolex has far more brand cache. If you buy an Omega, sooner or later, some random is going to come up to you with "Nice watch man, is it a Rolex?"

If you value that is a personal decision. It doesn't make them objectively any better, but it's there. Rolex charges you somewhere from $6-60k in premiums over equivalent specification Omegas for that fact. Good value? Not to me really, but a personal choice.

Resale is possibly better on a Rolex, or has been historically, but the last 12 months have demonstrated that this isn't a certainty, and if you're buying the watch to own and enjoy, not to flip, then it's basically irrelevant anyway.

I would buy, or at least consider Rolex IF they don't mess you around with the purchase experience. With the current state of affairs my advice is simple, fuck those guys and go to Omega, at least they treat you with respect.
Well stated. I have no use for vendors that work to exercise an above average perception of their products and services.

I fully support the decision to buy a Rolex or similar. I wear a Tag Heuer that I bought 12 years ago when I was expanding my business (read tighter budget). I suspect a Rolex is equally as tough as a Tag, I have worn my watch for everything and am quite aware that blood will not harm it, nor will good hard work.

Buying a Rolex is less expensive than going on a safari. Actually, a Rolex is substantially less expensive than a safari. And a Rolex lasts longer and holds value.

Of all the things we take with us daily, a watch gets to see almost everything, year round. A watch wearer has that timepiece on the wrist for absolutely everything (except, maybe, coitus). Why not get something that you enjoy using and enjoy the craftsmanship of? If a watch could listen and speak it would be able to replay for you your entire life from the moment of purchase.

For something that intimate; quality, art, craftsmanship and personal taste permit a more substantial investment.

The problem I now have is the Tag I’m wearing is so part of my every day that it is hard to justify getting a second watch. But, we all remember the decision to buy a second rifle…

Cant believe ive wasted some much TIME reading these post WAY outta my league. I only own my dads pocket watch , in a draw and its on time twice aday.

I'm one of those that likely will never own a Rolex, Omega, or Patek, nor a Holland & Holland or WR, but most assuredly enjoy looking at them and appreciate their value as well crafted, functional, art. The choice to acquire such is indeed a very personal choice. I gifted myself a nice DR for retiring, because I like the form & feel of them, not to make some statement. If I had the means, one of these fine watches that have been mentioned would be on my wrist, but I still want another DR & a trip to Africa more, so I'll enjoy my Citizen Ecodrive Divers watch for now and enjoy the pics a lot of you have shared; please continue.

I doubt that Microsoft will be making a PROHUNTER anytime soon...

View attachment 590938

Not made by rolex...they are customised rolexs....a friend years back was involved in either funding or assisting the making of them....saw his one..was neat

Can't agree more with the thread title!
They will end soon... no Company can survive to an Army of dissatisfied customers (n)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobiug

Latest profile posts

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!