Rolex- the stupidest, lamest company

Mama bought me this watch for Valentine's Day. It is a copy of one of the old Army issue watches and I really like it, plus it has Seiko automatic movement. I will probably be my new daily watch for Colombia.

Safe travels

praesidus.jpg

Hi rookhawk, good question.
In my reply here, when I use the words rod /
reel, I’m referring only to fly rods and fly reels.
And, I apologize to all for getting off topic here.
If a hailstorm of people talking about fishing begins, I will suggest we move this to the Fishing portion of the world’s best forum.

Anyway —> Fly Rods:
E. Waldon Powell Hexagraph rods.
Tonkin Cane rods, vintage and present day ones as well, by a multitude of makers.
I only have 2 of those, one is marked Heddon, it is a 3 piece rod but has a spare tip section so, there are 4 pieces total.
I think it’s 8.5’ but I’ve never put a tape measure to it.
It is not marked for weight but loads well with 5w tapered floating line, when using the “lighter weight” tip section.
My other “cane” rod is quite similar but totally unmarked.
The Orvis rods that were spiral wrapped full length and not sanded.
I think these were called “The Rocky Mountain Series” rods.
I’m too lazy to dig one out and read what’s printed on it.:ROFLMAO:
But if it’s important, I can do so.
I have a 10’ - 7W - 3 piece one and a 2W one that I think is either 8’ or 8.5’ - it is a 4 piece one.
Other various rods, very sporadically catch my eye (once in a blue moon) at flea markets and garage sales mostly.
My tarpon and king salmon rod is such.
It is a Sage 14W - 2 piece, with forward fighting grip and fighting butt as well.
I think it is only 7.5’ long but would have to measure to be sure.
Sadly, I’ve never hooked a tarpon on this rod, but not for lack of trying.
I’ve dragged it to Belize and Honduras, as well as to Florida, intending to catch a tarpon on it.
Indeed I’ve caught them, (Key West, Florida, on a spinning rod) just not with this rod.
However, as long as their’s line in the air, there’s hope and this 14W howitzer has brought to my perhaps unworthy hand, countless salmon, including kings into the mid-40 pounds size.

Reels:
Billy Pate.
One Tarpon model, one Salmon model and one bonefish model.
Alvey.
I only have one but it’s the bigun and I’ve caught many salmon, including kings on it (with 14W sink tip line).
Hardy Brothers.
I have both vintage and more recent ones, in various sizes, I think 7 or 8 Hardys all told.

But don’t get me started.:notworthy:

Cheers,
V. Dog.

Good info. Its not a slide at all, because you were saying you won't buy a Rolex because you have better things to spend your money on like Rods and Reels. I was suspicious, about to call BS on your theory until you stated your case.

Carry On! You have excellent taste in fine tackle.

Hi rookhawk, good question.
In my reply here, when I use the words rod /
reel, I’m referring only to fly rods and fly reels.
And, I apologize to all for getting off topic here.
If a hailstorm of people talking about fishing begins, I will suggest we move this to the Fishing portion of the world’s best forum.

Anyway —> Fly Rods:
E. Waldon Powell Hexagraph rods.
Tonkin Cane rods, vintage and present day ones as well, by a multitude of makers.
I only have 2 of those, one is marked Heddon, it is a 3 piece rod but has a spare tip section so, there are 4 pieces total.
I think it’s 8.5’ but I’ve never put a tape measure to it.
It is not marked for weight but loads well with 5w tapered floating line, when using the “lighter weight” tip section.
My other “cane” rod is quite similar but totally unmarked.
The Orvis rods that were spiral wrapped full length and not sanded.
I think these were called “The Rocky Mountain Series” rods.
I’m too lazy to dig one out and read what’s printed on it.:ROFLMAO:
But if it’s important, I can do so.
I have a 10’ - 7W - 3 piece one and a 2W one that I think is either 8’ or 8.5’ - it is a 4 piece one.
Other various rods, very sporadically catch my eye (once in a blue moon) at flea markets and garage sales mostly.
My tarpon and king salmon rod is such.
It is a Sage 14W - 2 piece, with forward fighting grip and fighting butt as well.
I think it is only 7.5’ long but would have to measure to be sure.
Sadly, I’ve never hooked a tarpon on this rod, but not for lack of trying.
I’ve dragged it to Belize and Honduras, as well as to Florida, intending to catch a tarpon on it.
Indeed I’ve caught them, (Key West, Florida, on a spinning rod) just not with this rod.
However, as long as their’s line in the air, there’s hope and this 14W howitzer has brought to my perhaps unworthy hand, countless salmon, including kings into the mid-40 pounds size.

Reels:
Billy Pate.
One Tarpon model, one Salmon model and one bonefish model.
Alvey.
I only have one but it’s the bigun and I’ve caught many salmon, including kings on it (with 14W sink tip line).
Hardy Brothers.
I have both vintage and more recent ones, in various sizes, I think 7 or 8 Hardys all told.

But don’t get me started.:notworthy:

Cheers,
V. Dog.

Velo Dog, I have a Hardy Bros. Princess fly reel I bought in about 1978. Love the reel!

Mama bought me this watch for Valentine's Day. It is a copy of one of the old Army issue watches and I really like it, plus it has Seiko automatic movement. I will probably be my new daily watch for Colombia.

Safe travels

View attachment 592126
Really cool.

An old BMW watch. It was inexpensive & a gift @ the time.
1710023982845.png

When I switched jobs in oct of 2022 I stopped by the jeweler and got my wife a set of earrings, while there I of course walked by the Rolex display case with the exhibition only watches and made a comment about one. 3 weeks pass and they call me (phone didnt ring and i got the voice mail 2 days later due to the poor cell service) while Im sitting in my treestand during a snowstorm for the Michigan deer rifle season. I texted the sales lady and she said she had a watch for me and i had to pick it up by the next day.
IMG_8036.jpeg
I left camp next day and it hasnt left my wrist since. I hunt, golf and fish with it.

Attachments

• IMG_8022.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 38
Guys I stand corrected, Johannesburg has no stock either, but Charles Greig will take your name. Sorry, I saw them all and assumed they were for sale, including a Pepsi and a Sprite.

I thought I’d post my Rolex…in Antarctica. You know, just because Rolex thread. :)

1710079162701.jpeg

My older son graduated from high school in 1989 and I asked him what he wanted for his graduation present “A Rolex”. I bought him a Rolex Air King for $800 at my local jeweler in Birmingham MI. After a week or so I thought it was ridiculous that an 18 year old had a Rolex and I didn’t so I bought myself another Air King. My second son also wanted a Rolex so I went back to the same dealer and bought another Air King with a distinctive blue face. By now my jeweler and I were on a first name basis. Finally my wife got one as an Anniversary gift but the Ladies Air King was 50% more expensive since it’s so petite and more expensive to manufacture. My jeweler asked if I had any more kids, but my fourth purchase was my last. 35 years later, all four Air Kings are still running fine.
I have an Air King that I inherited from late father-in-law. It is mid-1950s vintage that he got as a gift. It is a cool watch but it keeps shitty time. I've had it rebuilt and reserviced a couple of times. I probably should sell it but it has sentimental value.

On my wrist right now is a Citizen Eco-Drive which charges by sunlight. It keeps better time than the Rolex.

One thing, smart watches etc. are prohibited in classified environments. I switch from my Apple iWatch to a Breitling or a Rolex in those cases. Switch to hard cover notepad and a fountain pen from an iPad and Apple pencil in cases where I can take notes.

One thing, smart watches etc. are prohibited in classified environments. I switch from my Apple iWatch to a Breitling or a Rolex in those cases. Switch to hard cover notepad and a fountain pen from an iPad and Apple pencil in cases where I can take notes.
I'm prohibited from Smart Watches, if that's what they are .. like cell/electronic use.

Two comments for this thread.

First, a large percentage of everyone you know who doesn't hunt Africa, thinks you are something of a snob, to a degree a Rolex could never accomplish. To most people it just has a rich guy killing endangered species for sport look. And to the average Rem 700 deer hunter, our R8s and custom rifles seem like a Rolex or Patek.

I know Rolex are nearly impossible to buy these days from dealers. But not third parties. Most dealers are selling stock to the grey market because they can charge more than MSRP. Grey market dealers can get anything you want for a price. Other Rolex dealers tie a purchase to jewelry or multi watch purchases. It's hardly just Rolex. Patek stainless watches are well over $100K these days. Rolex and Patek claim to be trying stop the practices of dealers but they aren't trying or being effective.

It's not just watches. Bentley, Ferrari, even some Mercedes dealers are also making first time buyers make multiple purchases to get the hot cars.

Yep it's be a lot easier if you could just order what you want, wait 9 months and then pick it up. But few lux goods work that way. Because scarcity breeds desire in a lot of people. And it results in rising resale prices.

There are a lot of people who try to find happiness in lux items. I am not one of them but I do where a Skydweller much of the time. For me it was a better GMT than a regular GMT. It doesn't get babied. But more often than not, I wear an Apple Watch for health monitoring reasons, as well as tracking/guidance in the field. Gaia on the watch, as well as Global Rescue is great stuff.

The real sleepers for people who want a very nice watch for a reasonable price, look at Omega, Grand Seiko (better than Rolex or PP), TAG, Tudor, Bell & Ross. Or the Apple Watch/Garmin

Just remember expensive big game hunting has the same image as any luxury item.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TamelaNewc

Latest profile posts

A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?
NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life
Sable @ the lodge this morning

Buffalo encounter this morning!

here with available dates for 2024/25