AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
This is a few of the pics I took on a road trip I took this week. I had a number of knives that I wanted to deliver and catch up with Brian from NZ Walnut supplies . The route I took was up to Christchurch and over the Lewis pass to Murcheson where we spent the first night. This was a big drive and I needed to get to this first nights stopping place so we would be able to make the trip into Nelson the next day so having been been this way with many pics taken and shown last may I didn't take any more on this trip.

The next day was much more relaxed so this is a couple taken on the run into Nelson

There was quite a bit of low lying mist round the hills which looked rather good.

cFbRBqtl.jpg

1NyrU1ll.jpg

A derelict old homestead

A2mOQjPl.jpg

On the road round the harbour into Nelson there is this rock and small Island and this rock is what sunk the Ship after it dropped my Wifes ancestors off in 1840. Not sure if it was a storm or another cause of the ship going onto the rock but in calm water it is a relatively benign looking part of the harbour that was used then.

SaioZWRl.jpg

Attachments

• cFbRBqtl.jpg
    cFbRBqtl.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 1NyrU1ll.jpg
    1NyrU1ll.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 61
  • A2mOQjPl.jpg
    A2mOQjPl.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 69
  • SaioZWRl.jpg
    SaioZWRl.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 68
Last edited by a moderator:
I delivered a number of knives in the morning and caught up with the owner of the gunshop up there who carries my knives and left a few more with him then we headed over toward Blenheim and stayed the night in a cabin at a roadside camp ground with roadside being the operative word as there was an almost constant stream of traffic for most of the night and while I sleep easily (at least for the first few hours most nights) my wife does not so had a restless night but was delighted next morning when we found one of the cemetaries where we found over 20 of here ancestors burried so took lots of pics of the headstones for her records. Then it was out of town a bit to see Brian at NZ Walnut supplies http://www.nzwalnut.co.nz/

I have corresponded with Brian a lot over the years through the purchase of 35+ blanks for the rifle stocks I have made so it was a real pleasure to finally meet him and see the extent of his blank stock on hand.

A manlicher blank out for parceling up for a buyer

NHn3Mgxl.jpg

Some lower grade two piece banks

fUMLlYjl.jpg

This is some of the grade 3 and under blanks with a the upper grades selected and in pidgeon holes on the right. Here Brian is sorting out some pieces knife handles for me in trade for a knife

HKAgSt8l.jpg

And this is what I bought home with 3 pieces that were 1/2 inch thick with the rest being over 2 1/2 inches thick

DYzLzurl.jpg

Attachments

• NHn3Mgxl.jpg
    NHn3Mgxl.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 66
  • fUMLlYjl.jpg
    fUMLlYjl.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 63
  • HKAgSt8l.jpg
    HKAgSt8l.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 66
  • DYzLzurl.jpg
    DYzLzurl.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 62
Keep the pictures of the tour coming. Absolutely lovely countryside.

After leaving the walnut supply we headed down the Kaikoura coast toward Christchurch as it was dark and raining last may when we came down and we saw none of it. A very slow trip as there was so many sections of road work to repair after the devestating earth quakes and it will be some time yet before they are finished.

Much of the rail link and the roadway had been inundated with literal hillsides that had shaken down over them and wit the rolling of the ground in the quake there had been a 6 meter rising of some of the seabed which exposed a great deal of the shellfish beds and destroyed the seal grounds etc with so much of it being changed forever.

Some of the newly constructed road that is two way even if it is very slow speed (30kph is under 20mph)

lPvekvFl.jpg

An area where great part of the hillside had slipped with millions of tons of spoil having to be shifted before the roadway could be repaired. The roadwork crews were doing shiftwork to keep going 24 hours a day and are still doing so.

4DIvhwml.jpg

Part of the seabed that had risen up

ioFYO0Al.jpg

Looking away down the coast toward Lyttleton

nqLE7Lll.jpg

Attachments

• lPvekvFl.jpg
    lPvekvFl.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 4DIvhwml.jpg
    4DIvhwml.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 65
  • ioFYO0Al.jpg
    ioFYO0Al.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 66
  • nqLE7Lll.jpg
    nqLE7Lll.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 65
Much of it is still one way and controlled by stop go minders as the work continues

PpX7HZUl.jpg

Another area of massive rockfall that now has stacked gabien baskets with top skirting to prevent further (light loose rocks) falling onto the roadway

2rY6YSFl.jpg

A closer look at the retaining work

Q3W0kgxl.jpg

xRHyri2l.jpg

One of the new tunnels. The one on the right is the rail tunnel while the one on the left is the first of the new tunnels and caters only ti the upstream traffic. The third one is where we are headed and is for the downstream traffic but I missed the opportunity to get the three in the one pic as there is no stopping unless directed to so I had to take the pics on the ove and sometimes I was just busy enough negotiating the roadway and wasn't always able to take pics as and when I wanted and if one was missed then it couldn;t be retaken with lots having to be deleted because of movement of either the vehicle or my hand causing them to be too blurry to keep.

R9ELUDml.jpg

So what should have been normally expecting to take about 2 1/2 hours took us nearly 6 but it was worth that to see it all.

Attachments

• PpX7HZUl.jpg
    PpX7HZUl.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 2rY6YSFl.jpg
    2rY6YSFl.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 63
  • Q3W0kgxl.jpg
    Q3W0kgxl.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 60
  • xRHyri2l.jpg
    xRHyri2l.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 56
  • R9ELUDml.jpg
    R9ELUDml.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 60
Great photos.! Reminds me a little of coastal Alaska which I'll get to see again in about 7 weeks. If I recall, didn't you make a trip like this last year?

Great photos.! Reminds me a little of coastal Alaska which I'll get to see again in about 7 weeks. If I recall, didn't you make a trip like this last year?

I did a longer trip last year but that included the ferry to the north island and a drive up there as well. This was really to complete what we had started then as the weather had been against being able to spend time at the cemetary searching out Lynes ancestors and catch up with Brian at NZ Walnut. The order for a half dozen knives was the impetus to complete that part of the journey and to see the repairs to the coast road in daylight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
profibrahim

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you