RJ Renner vs Complete Restock on CZ Safari?

Stocks are a personal thing. If you are new to this world, bring a big checkbook. Best advice is fine someone who knows how to fit you to the stock. Taking a shot in the dark is a roll of the dice.
CZ is a fine set up, but you will need to more the safety and take a look at the trigger to get a truly functional and enjoyable big bore.
Otherwise, get a model 70 or a 700. They are cheaper, easy to adjust or add stocks to.
I have had a couple of CZ's. No issues, A bit clunky but they shoot very well.

Remember that if you are going on a hunt for anything more difficult than plains game, get a tool/rifle that fits and you shoot very well. A muffed shot on a buff or other DG will cost you memories and a lot of cash. A muffed shot on plainsgame is not terribly expensive and you will get another chance. You may not on buff, cats, ele's or whatever.

DO NOT SCRIMP ON OPTICS OR YOUR WEAPON OF CHOICE.

Did you pay to have it done or do it yourself?

Myself. Added a horn forend tip while I was at it.

For reference of how oversized they are, while I didn't measure exactly, I estimate I took 3/8" off of the width and it still looks normal.

My cz 550 in 500 jeffery stock I found bit chunky...had it slimmed a bit, but still prefer the synthetic stock I have for it...but a friend has a 416 cz550 and I never found the stock chunky at all when I have shot it, felt fine. Definitely differently made to my 500, but presumably due to the difference in the 2 calibres......these both have the American stock not the euro style one...

The CZ is as good as most, and a lot better than many.

I never understood why so many hunters bought a factory Remington 700, only to have the extractor replaced, a new barrel and recoil lug installed, a new custom wood stock with hand checkering created by an expensive stock maker, etc., so they could take their new .458 Wunderwaffen to Africa. Those same guys that spend 10k on a custom 700, wouldn't touch a CZ.

Think 50-70 years ago and consider what actions and rifles were available for a heavy or Dangerous Game rifle. The 1914/1917, Mauser 98 and numerous other were surplus junk in the eyes of many hunters. Not now. They are prized for their oversized actions, controlled round feed, Mauser style extraction, etc. CZ' 550 Safari Magnum's will probably be sought after not to far into the future for the exact same reasons.

if you think the CZ is chunky, look at the Ruger RSM.

The problem with wood is that there is always another that catches your eye so you may find yourself going down a very expensive rabbit hole when you start looking at blanks; I've been there.

Even slimming the existing lumber gets a bit expensive but really it's all about what you want. I just finished my RSM project that included stock work detailed here:

I freely admit that doing this was not cost effective but I liked the rifle and hated to stock. The thing about RSM's though is that they generally used very nice wood so I had it reshaped. Ultimately it's up to your own personal choices, nobody else has to live with it.

If you do decide to reshape the existing lumber maybe there is a local guy that you can work with. The advantage there is that you have control over the project.

I'm hoping that the wood on the 550 turns out being decent, as I am afraid of the stock blank rabbit hole! I've seen a number of them come out really quite stunning after the factory mud stain is removed.

The thought of finding someone local is a good one, as that would eliminate the guesswork if the the fit is right. No doubt Renner knows his stuff, but the cost is too high if the wood is plain.

I'm hoping that the wood on the 550 turns out being decent, as I am afraid of the stock blank rabbit hole! I've seen a number of them come out really quite stunning after the factory mud stain is removed.

The thought of finding someone local is a good one, as that would eliminate the guesswork if the the fit is right. No doubt Renner knows his stuff, but the cost is too high if the wood is plain.
Oooops, I replied with the wrong link before. If you are interested in what I did with my RSM look here:

I have too many projects to keep track of, sorry about that.

If you bought the rifle to be YOUR rifle and plan on keeping it, I would avoid slimming the stock. Money would be better spent to get a custom one fit exactly to your tastes and budget. Hell, you can get a Richards Microfit in exhibition grade for $500.

Keep the factory stock and sell it when you see someone looking for one.

Looks like Griffin and Howe does stock work too. We'll what their pricing looks like. The Richards Microfit may not be a bad idea.

I have never heard of Richards Microdot 'til this thread. Did "The Google" and I have to say it looks pretty darn good. I probably would have gone that direction other than what I did if I'd known,

If you bought the rifle to be YOUR rifle and plan on keeping it, I would avoid slimming the stock. Money would be better spent to get a custom one fit exactly to your tastes and budget. Hell, you can get a Richards Microfit in exhibition grade for $500
I contacted Richard's Microfit after seeing your post and visiting their website. They said that they do not have stocks for magnum length actions. Too bad, I was seriously thinking of using them.

That's too bad, it looks like they do for the 550 Safari. The pricing doesn't seem too bad all things considered.

I contacted Richard's Microfit after seeing your post and visiting their website. They said that they do not have stocks for magnum length actions. Too bad, I was seriously thinking of using them.
You can also try this gent. I can’t remember who it was, but a member recommended him to me.

Attachments

Buy a different gun.

You’re into Kimber money with the changes and you could find a Winchester Safari/Alaskan and put a very nice Leupold on it for the same price. The 550 will never be as refined as either.

The 550 came in today. The wood isn't half bad! Action is slick as snot and overall the rifle is really beautifully finished. The stock definitely feels large, but isn't uncomfortable. I'm leaning toward having a synthetic stock made for it if anything.
20240605_200510.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HueyHemmin

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]