River Monsters Of The Kunene River In Namibia

emtd24

AH senior member
Reviews
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
The Kunene River, which forms the Northern border of Namibia with Angola, must be one of the most remote places In Africa I’ve ever had the privilege of guiding a client on a hunt. This is one of those areas in Africa where you only hunt for one species and that is crocodile, monster crocodiles.

_K3A2046 Large.jpeg

The Kunene River with Angola on the opposite side.

_K3A2007-Edit-2 Large.jpeg

The moon rising over Angola.

This area is home to the nomadic pastoralist tribe, the Himba people, that relies on the resources provided by the Kunene River for survival. They are as primitive as one can get in today’s modern Africa, hunting with the Himba's can only be described as a chapter out of one of Hemmingway’s novels.

_96A8496 Large.jpeg
_96A8499 Large.jpeg
_96A8529 Large.jpeg

Himba ladies waiting for their men to return from the hunting grounds

IMG_3846 Large.jpeg

Himba men forming a chain link and armed to cross the crocodile infested waters.

The area is dry and arid, if not for the Kunene River flowing through this area, almost nothing will be able to survive here.

IMG_3927 Large.jpeg
IMG_3931 Large.jpeg

Dusty roads in the arid Kaokoveld

We hunted the stretch of river East of Epupa Falls, this area has a large concentration of huge crocodiles and we saw several river monsters over 14 feet every day we scouted the riverbank.

_K3AE1944 Large.jpeg
_K3A1992 Large.jpeg
_K3AE1947 Large.jpeg
_K3AE1964 Large.jpeg
_K3A2056 Large.jpeg

Several monster crocodiles basking in the sun.

IMG_E3748 Large.jpeg
IMG_E6053 Large.jpeg

IMG_E3763.jpg

Sundowners on beach after a long day of scouting.

On Day 5 we pulled the trigger on a 15 foot monster, it is to be noted that this was not the biggest crocodile we saw.
IMG_3786 Large.jpeg

The Waiting Game

IMG_3876-Edit-2-Enhanced Large.jpeg

15 feet

IMG_3868 Large.jpeg

The Recovery Crew

We almost had more fun recovering the croc after we shot him. With the help of some young Himba men and a very small inflatable canoe, we manage to recover the crocodile before the high tide, caused by the water released from the Rucana Hydro Electric plant, flooded the sandbank where the crocodile was lying. All meat was recovered and delivered to the local communities, it is a common misconception that the locals don't eat crocodile meat but the Himba's don't let any protein go to waste.

IMG_3821 Large.jpeg
IMG_3833 Large.jpeg
IMG_3902 Large.jpeg
IMG_3899 Large.jpeg
IMG_3914 Large.jpeg
IMG_3919 Large.jpeg
IMG_3920 Large.jpeg
IMG_3900 Large.jpeg
IMG_3925 Large.jpeg

This is definitely not a hunt for a first time hunter to Africa but if you are looking for unique experience, hunting a real river monster, the Kunene River in northwestern Namibia is highly recommended.

For more information please feel free to contact me directly as there is only a small number of permits available each year.
Yours in conservation hunting.

Johann Veldsman

Attachments

• IMG_3932 Large.jpeg
    IMG_3932 Large.jpeg
    557.4 KB · Views: 134
Very nice....I see the monster is also missing a part of its tail.....

Enjoyed the photographs. Thanks for sharing. Does one drive from Windhoek to the area? Seems like Etosha could be along the way for a visit there too.

Enjoyed the photographs. Thanks for sharing. Does one drive from Windhoek to the area? Seems like Etosha could be along the way for a visit there too.
Yes you can drive from WHK and visit Etosha on the way. Our main camp is 40km south Of Kamanjab and we usually combine this hunt wit a stopover there for some plains game hunting before heading up to the Kunene.
Alternatively you can also Charter a flight to Epupa Falls.

After looking at the pictures of the crocodiles and the inflatable canoes, all i can offer is the following quote from JAWS

Roy Scheider's line "You're gonna need a bigger boat".

Thank you for sharing

Interesting Hunt. Never think of Croc's in west flowing rivers for some reason. Thanks for the education.

Thanks for sharing this with us Johann! Your artistry as a photographer add greatly to the story and to your skills as a PH!

This is a very interesting post & hunt, @Shona Hunting Adventures what species of Crocodile is this considered ?

I think too far South for a West African Crocodile but is it a Nile Croc ?

Nile Crocs...

Is there any hippo hunting in this river/area? Great crocs by the way. Congrats

What is the price?
Thank you.

The Kunene River, which forms the Northern border of Namibia with Angola, must be one of the most remote places In Africa I’ve ever had the privilege of guiding a client on a hunt. This is one of those areas in Africa where you only hunt for one species and that is crocodile, monster crocodiles.

View attachment 509409

View attachment 509410

This area is home to the nomadic pastoralist tribe, the Himba people, that relies on the resources provided by the Kunene River for survival. They are as primitive as one can get in today’s modern Africa, hunting with the Himba's can only be described as a chapter out of one of Hemmingway’s novels.

View attachment 509415View attachment 509416View attachment 509417

View attachment 509418
Himba men forming a chain link and armed to cross the crocodile infested waters.

The area is dry and arid, if not for the Kunene River flowing through this area, almost nothing will be able to survive here.

View attachment 509412View attachment 509413

We hunted the stretch of river East of Epupa Falls, this area has a large concentration of huge crocodiles and we saw several river monsters over 14 feet every day we scouted the riverbank.

View attachment 509420View attachment 509421View attachment 509422View attachment 509423View attachment 509424

View attachment 509425View attachment 509426
View attachment 509427

On Day 5 we pulled the trigger on a 15 foot monster, it is to be noted that this was not the biggest crocodile we saw.View attachment 509428
The Waiting Game

View attachment 509429
15 feet

View attachment 509430
The Recovery Crew

We almost had more fun recovering the croc after we shot him. With the help of some young Himba men and a very small inflatable canoe, we manage to recover the crocodile before the high tide, caused by the water released from the Rucana Hydro Electric plant, flooded the sandbank where the crocodile was lying. All meat was recovered and delivered to the local communities, it is a common misconception that the locals don't eat crocodile meat but the Himba's don't let any protein go to waste.

View attachment 509433View attachment 509434View attachment 509435View attachment 509436View attachment 509437View attachment 509438View attachment 509439View attachment 509440View attachment 509441

This is definitely not a hunt for a first time hunter to Africa but if you are looking for unique experience, hunting a real river monster, the Kunene River in northwestern Namibia is highly recommended.

For more information please feel free to contact me directly as there is only a small number of permits available each year.

Johann Veldsman
Wow! What an amazing experience. I’m would NOT have liked getting into an inflatable boat on a river with 15 foot crocks! I didn’t even like getting into a 14 metal boat to go hunting with my husband in the Zambezi in May…but I did and lived to tell the tale. Thanks for sharing such an incredible experience and pictures.

I never thought of Namibia as destination to hunt crocodile. Thanks for enlightening me. As always, your photography skills are exemplary. It looks like a very interesting hunt!

Your photographs are beautiful (if a croc photo can be called that) and I believe you, or someone you employ, has a lot of training and skill in that area. Photography has become an important part of selecting a safari venue for me. Hope to visit Shona one day soon. Thanks for posting........FW Bill

This bloke hit a near 14 footer in North Queensland a long, long timeback, on behalf of professional fishermen, whose nets were being torn up. Torn nets, no barramundi, no income. Details I'll NEVER reveal... try to sleep at night, well away from the river, with crocs roaring all night; freaky ...

View attachment 509409

View attachment 509410

View attachment 509415View attachment 509416View attachment 509417

View attachment 509418

View attachment 509412View attachment 509413

View attachment 509420View attachment 509421View attachment 509422View attachment 509423View attachment 509424

View attachment 509425View attachment 509426
View attachment 509427

On Day 5 we pulled the trigger on a 15 foot monster, it is to be noted that this was not the biggest crocodile we saw.View attachment 509428
The Waiting Game

View attachment 509429
15 feet

View attachment 509430
The Recovery Crew

View attachment 509433View attachment 509434View attachment 509435View attachment 509436View attachment 509437View attachment 509438View attachment 509439View attachment 509440View attachment 509441

Johann Veldsman

Thanks a lot for sharing this adventure with us Johann! Hunting 14+foot crocodiles is no everyday feat for sure. Congratulations to you and the hunter!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OlivaLondo

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!