Ring around primer pocket?

Well, I loaded three of those old Lapua pieces. I forgot to check feeding.

Some folks were desperate for meat, and I had these Lapua rounds at the top of the magazine.

We found a suitable buffalo, and... alas! Of course! What an idiot I am! I quickly emptied the top three and then loaded a good one and got the job done.

Yeah, so I can’t close the bolt on these Lapua bits from when things were a bit whoops-a-daisy with the headspace.
 
The whole case is too long, or the shoulder is not set back far enough?
 
It certainly would be a good thing if folks would read thru the whole thread before commenting on things that have already been resolved, like the already fixed headspace issue.
We have also put to bed the ring around the primer pocket question.
His rounds didn't fit because they had not been sized after shooting them in the longer, now fixed chamber.
And Ben I cant believe you went hunting without checking your rounds in the rifle first.o_O;):whistle::confused::eek::rolleyes::D
 
It certainly would be a good thing if folks would read thru the whole thread before commenting on things that have already been resolved, like the already fixed headspace issue....
Not sure what you are referring to.
 
It certainly would be a good thing if folks would read thru the whole thread before commenting on things that have already been resolved, like the already fixed headspace issue.
We have also put to bed the ring around the primer pocket question.
His rounds didn't fit because they had not been sized after shooting them in the longer, now fixed chamber.
And Ben I cant believe you went hunting without checking your rounds in the rifle first.o_O;):whistle::confused::eek::rolleyes::D

Thank you, Sir, you’ve summarised it well. It was very silly of me not to check feeding, certainly a lesson learned. I wasn’t hunting properly, though, just shooting or “grocery shopping” for a buffalo not much bigger than a rabbit, poor thing. But he gave sustenance to people and their canine protectors.
 
Ben, I once had an issue with not being able to seat primers in new Norma brass. It turned out that there is a max and min dimension for the pockets as well as one for the primers. Since the primers worked just fine in other brass I figured it was the just a matter of the primer pockets being tight. I ran a primer pocket reaming tool in the new brass which fixed the issue. You might try measuring the primer pockets and primers to see how they stack up against each other. This was a one off occurrence for me in almost 40 years of reloading.
 
No, I meant people asking questions already answered.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,427
Messages
1,575,893
Members
170,457
Latest member
CAEEstelle
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top