RIGBY RISING BITE .500

Describing that rifle as magnificent is damning with faint praise! Congratulations on your acquisition, Paul - in 120 years of progress, other than superior steels, that gun cannot really be improved upon for DG.
 
Well
Describing that rifle as magnificent is damning with faint praise! Congratulations on your acquisition, Paul - in 120 years of progress, other than superior steels, that gun cannot really be improved upon for DG.
well said. I agree totally with you regarding the quality of these old rifles.
 
Wow just Wow !!

An amazing collection you have, you are a true curator of Rigby history !

Do you intend to hunt with it ?
 
This is my John Rigby & Co. No. 17445 — .500 Nitro Express Rising Bite

Completed on 28 April 1908, Rigby No. 17445 is a Best-quality .500 Nitro Express Rising Bite double rifle, built for H.H. the Maharajah Scindia of Gwalior.

Rigby’s ledger records the rifle as a “Best top-lever, vertical-bolt, hammerless ejector,” the terminology referring to the celebrated Rigby Rising Bite action. The distinctive vertical locking bolt rises into engagement with the rib extension as the rifle is closed, providing an exceptionally strong third fastener in addition to the conventional under-bolting. It became one of the defining features of Rigby’s finest double rifles.

The rifle was built with 26-inch barrels and a weight of 11 lb. 10 oz. Its sighting arrangement consists of a standing rear sight with two folding leaves, recorded with Rigby’s No. 2 “V” configuration. The stock was finished at 14½ inches, while the ledger preserves the rifle’s original bend and cast-off measurements.

The records also identify the craftsmen involved in its construction. Shelley stocked and finished the rifle, while Rowland Hill filed its barrels. The action work is recorded simply as having been undertaken within the Rigby workshop.

Most compelling is its provenance. No. 17445 was built expressly for H.H. the Maharajah Scindia of Gwalior, placing it firmly within the extraordinary tradition of Best London sporting rifles commissioned by India’s princely rulers during the age of shikar.

View attachment 796941View attachment 796942View attachment 796943View attachment 796944View attachment 796945
Thank you. Beautiful rifle. Seen a bit of use, going by that receiver wear.
 
A piece of history, well worth in gold.
After the colonial rule in India, and the hunting ban enacted in 1972 many of the British guns owned by the Indian royalty were brought back to Britain. I know WR was big in this regards, along with few individuals with deep pockets that imported the guns back to the US as well.

These then found their way to the secondary market, thereby increasing their value threefold.
I actually think more of the Indian rifles went to Australia . There were some very active importers and collectors . PaulB knows a few over here .
 
Thank you! I really appreciate that.

I’ve always had a real love for British sporting firearms, particularly the great pre-war makers—Rigby, Westley Richards, Jeffery, Holland & Holland, and others. For me, collecting them is about much more than simply owning old guns. I really enjoy the history behind them: who originally ordered them, where they traveled, what they may have been used for, and the craftsmanship that went into building them.

Over time I’ve become especially interested in unusual or historically significant rifles—early examples, rare configurations and calibers, guns with interesting provenance, and rifles that represent an important period in a maker’s history. I probably enjoy researching their stories almost as much as I enjoy owning them.

Ultimately, I look at myself more as a temporary caretaker of these rifles than anything else. My hope is that many of them will eventually stay in my family and be appreciated by the next generation.

I’d love to hear more about your collection as well—what you collect, what originally got you interested, and some of the pieces that are particularly special to you.
Amazing Rifle and a great way to put it.

I too have a very similar thought process with my Pre-War rifles. When someone hears I’m taking one hunting I normally get some questions. When they hear I’m taking something like a 1908 Westley Richards Drop Lock into the swamps of Mozambique they normally tell me I’m insane or accuse me of having a silver spoon (couldn’t be further from the truth).

Would love to hear some more of your hunting stories with each, or any you might know from previous owners.

Presently I’m thinking of finding an old beat-up Pre64 M70 Featherweight in .270 and wearing some flannel on my upcoming Dall Sheep Hunt as a nod to Jack O’Connor. Just need to find one that’s cheap and I won’t care about being in the weather for an extended time without cleaning but also shoots sub-moa.
 
Thank you! I really appreciate that.

I’ve always had a real love for British sporting firearms, particularly the great pre-war makers—Rigby, Westley Richards, Jeffery, Holland & Holland, and others. For me, collecting them is about much more than simply owning old guns. I really enjoy the history behind them: who originally ordered them, where they traveled, what they may have been used for, and the craftsmanship that went into building them.

Over time I’ve become especially interested in unusual or historically significant rifles—early examples, rare configurations and calibers, guns with interesting provenance, and rifles that represent an important period in a maker’s history. I probably enjoy researching their stories almost as much as I enjoy owning them.

Ultimately, I look at myself more as a temporary caretaker of these rifles than anything else. My hope is that many of them will eventually stay in my family and be appreciated by the next generation.

I’d love to hear more about your collection as well—what you collect, what originally got you interested, and some of the pieces that are particularly special to you.
Right now for me… I have mostly basic stuff. Some cool inherited pieces like an old hexagon barrel .22 that’s about 100 years old and some old shotguns like that. Old family hunting guns..
Modern stuff like handguns and ARs
Nicer rifles… a semi custom .375 that’s quite nice and my VC .450/.400 with beautiful engraving (by far the most valuable in terms of money)
However…I’m headed to Italy next month. I have a really cool private visit set up with a couple of the high end makers and master engravers.
I’m going to commission a couple of sets of fine shotguns and engraving with Perugini Visini and Piotti
I wanted some true heirloom pieces to hand down that are custom.
They also do some Sidelock doubles.
Interestingly you can do two barrels on those with say DG caliber .470 and a .20Ga
I think one does a two barrel set with .577NE and .500NE and maybe .12 Ga barrel too.
Really looking forward to the process.
 
  • Like
Reactions: pc3

Forum statistics

Threads
70,325
Messages
1,573,054
Members
169,692
Latest member
PrestonWat
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top