Rigby Highland Stalker

Perhaps, a good way to answer the question is to ask what the alternatives are and whether they do what you want done?

What metric are you going with for value? What is the performance criteria?

Personally...I am torn. I would say no, off the cuff, as I can't justify the cost vs what it mechanically is. However, I am a rifle aficionado and Rigby rifles are the kind of thing that I would get a lot of joy from owning.

I also have to balance cost vs experiences. I could fund a lot of hunting for the cost of that rifle.

If I had the money to burn...yes, I would buy it today. If it was either buy that rifle or go to Africa on a hunt...I would go to Africa.

It is a really nice rifle.

There is no better reason to buy something, than you want it. Technically, we only "need" 1 rifle, or 1 shotgun, or 1 handgun. But if you really "want" it, then I see no reason not to.

Lucky I guess. Only “custom” feature is a slightly lengthened throat to better accommodate heavier bullets.
Out of curiosity, do you know the twist rate of the barrel? I was thinking about a fast twist on a different platform to take advantage of 135gr bullets.

I do not. Mine shoots 156 and 170 gr Oryx sub-MOA. I have never used another.

Out of curiosity, do you know the twist rate of the barrel? I was thinking about a fast twist on a different platform to take advantage of 135gr bullets.

Did you type the bullet weight wrong? 135 gr would not need a fast twist in a 7mm.

Did you type the bullet weight wrong? 135 gr would not need a fast twist in a 7mm.
No sir, I thought Red Leg was talking about his 257. That is where the confusion is on my part.

Reactions: WAB
No sir, I thought Red Leg was talking about his 257. That is where the confusion is on my part.
It's a 275, same as 7mm;)

I'd make another suggestion on caliber if you don't mind. I think the days of a 375HH being a "Africa and Alaska only" rifle are coming to an end. With monometal copper bullets being 22% lighter than lead core, we are seeing flatter shooting 375HH that provides no downside compared to a 9.3x62 or a .338, but also many advantages.

Just me, but I'd go with the Rigby 375HH as an all-arounder. My 11 year old intends to hunt North America with the same 375HH he took on his last safari, the practicality of that cartridge continues to grow.
Totally different rifles. The 375 is in a Big Game, not available in a Highland Stalker.
I wonder what the weight difference is between the highland stalker 9.3 and the big game 375. Both lovely rifles for sure.
Your overall weight will be the same as the 375 rifle is heavier but your wallet will be between $7000 to $10,000 lighter;)

I know this is an older thread and a topic that has been beaten to death, but does the “worth it” still hold at the new price?

I had a chance to handle one recently and became enchanted, positively smitten. At the old price point I would already be making a move, but at the new one?

Last edited:
Not to me but I see the appeal. If you check the box of wanting a high-end, very nicely finished, niche caliber rifle from a legendary builder? Then I guess it's worth it.

When you consider you can get something from Griffin & Howe like their Highlander rifle for $8,000, or something from GunWerks for the same price point, it really comes down to want vs. need. You're talking straight performance-tuned rifles with extreme accuracy out to 1000 yds (supposedly).

It's like comparing a Rolex to a Suunto watch. They both do the same thing, really well. One is just has more added "form" than the other.

I would struggle to justify the cost at the new price point, however, I would not sell ours at the new price either.

I know this is an older thread and a topic that has been beaten to death, but does the “worth it” still hold at the new price?

I had a chance to handle one recently and became enchanted, positively smitten. At the old price point I would already be making a move, but at the new one?
Watch GI and Gun Broker, you can still find them at the old price. We have 3. Worth every penny and they will continue to hold their value.

You deserve it! Buy one! :D

Safe shooting

Watch GI and Gun Broker, you can still find them at the old price. We have 3. Worth every penny and they will continue to hold their value.

Safe shooting
After seeing one in person I can see why you have 3. Sound advice, I’ll just have to keep an eye out for one second hand.

It seems like most being currently imported average about 5k in extras. Some very glittery Highland Stalkers.

After seeing one in person I can see why you have 3. Sound advice, I’ll just have to keep an eye out for one second hand.

It seems like most being currently imported average about 5k in extras. Some very glittery Highland Stalkers.
Guns International has several at the old price and a few used ones at an even lower price.

Safe shooting

I have one, and - like @Red Leg said - value depends on your personal situation and perspective. I also have a Rigby in .416, and both are wonderful, if very different, rifles.

I used the .275 on a cull hunt in the Eastern Cape a couple of years ago and took about 85 animals over two weeks with it, and while I may not always have been as good as the rifle, it didn't let me down. The "hunt" report is here somewhere. As for calibre, I took everything from springbok at the smaller end to kudu and black wildebeest, and I never felt under-gunned. And I suffered no "ill-effects," which I might well have, had I been using something like a .300 Win Mag (which was my other option).

I am a big fan of wooden stocks, so upgraded on both to what Rigby calls "grade 9". A beautiful rifle.

Safe shooting
Currently there are two on Guns International new under $13k and two under$14k

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swasel

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!