Rigby Highland Stalker 9.3X62

Aussie_Hunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
As alot of you probably already know I am a bit of a Rigby fan boy and all though I already have a Rigby Big Game SSB chambered in 450 Rigby, I have been tempted by the Rigby Highland Stalker for sometime now.

Today I placed an order for a Highland Stalker in 9.3X62, I was able to choose from 3 different rifles available in stock in Australia in this chambering, as soon as I have the rifle in my hands I will post some pics, link below to the rifle I ordered, all though some of the pictures are generic the photos of the stock are of the actually rifle I have ordered.

I find the 9.3X62 cartridge an interesting one and I am very much looking forward to reloading for it, I have a good qty of Hornady Interlock 286gr and Swift A-frame 300gr projectiles coming my way.

I plan on mounting a leupold 1-4 scope with the Mauser style quick detach rings on the rifle.

I may not get the rifle in time but if I do I will take it with me on my buffalo hunt this year just as a back up rifle and to take a couple of cull cows with it if time permits.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-05 at 1.37.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-05 at 1.37.51 PM.png
    442.1 KB · Views: 162
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-05 at 1.37.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-05 at 1.37.53 PM.png
    433.7 KB · Views: 148
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-05 at 1.37.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-05 at 1.37.55 PM.png
    491.8 KB · Views: 170
Congratulations. Always look forward to seeing another Rigby.

Congratulations! I have that exact gun and I love it! I used it in Tanzania. It went for a spa day at JJ’s. Cody (@Bullthrower338 ) told @ActionBob it was a sin to cut the stock but it fits me now and is dead on accurate! Quite an effective caliber on Sable…even at nearly 300 yards! Looking forward to hearing what you hunt with yours!

Congratulations! I have that exact gun and I love it! I used it in Tanzania. It went for a spa day at JJ’s. Cody (@Bullthrower338 ) told @ActionBob it was a sin to cut the stock but it fits me now and is dead on accurate! Quite an effective caliber on Sable…even at nearly 300 yards! Looking forward to hearing what you hunt with yours!
Having a firearm that fits properly is one of the most critical (and overlooked) aspects of hunting. Off the shelf isn't for everyone. Bravo to you for having the courage to do so with a Rigby. After all it's YOURS and it should fit YOU...at least until it no longer belongs to you.

Having a firearm that fits properly is one of the most critical (and overlooked) aspects of hunting. Off the shelf isn't for everyone. Bravo to you for having the courage to do so with a Rigby. After all it's YOURS and it should fit YOU...at least until it no longer belongs to you.
Thanks! It is a beautiful gun and we really went back and forth about the stock, but it was around 15” and way too long. In the end, it was a good decision. :)

Very effective caliber, even with a hard quartering shot angle the PH didn't like, @Just Gina had confidence looking through that Swarovski glass and squeezed the trigger on this big 42 inch Sable in the Wilds of Tanzania. He ran a short distance and flopped over dead before we got up to him.. Even at distance, deep penetration resulted in a one shot kill with a bullet that had to traverse half that critters length;)
20211006_183336.jpg

Lovely Choice.. it should pair up nicely with your Rigby in 450 rigby. If I were to buy a highland stalker I would choose the 9.3x62.
I'm sure your going to love it.
Pair it up with some 200gr cutting edge loaded to around 2800fps and your good to go for most game excluding Buffalo.
Congratulations.

Very effective caliber, even with a hard quartering shot angle the PH didn't like, @Just Gina had confidence looking through that Swarovski glass and squeezed the trigger on this big 42 inch Sable in the Wilds of Tanzania. He ran a short distance and flopped over dead before we got up to him.. Even at distance, deep penetration resulted in a one shot kill with a bullet that had to traverse half that critters length;)
View attachment 474892
Nice shooting @Just Gina. What bullet/load did you use?

Very nice acquisition. It would be very interesting know how the open sights regulates, so, cool if you could give an update on that.
Well I will have the quick detach scope mounts so playing around with the iron sights from time to time will be easy enough, will definitely let you know how the irons go but on my 450 the irons are perfect for me, I haven't touched them.

Thanks!
286 grain Swift A Frame in Swift factory ammo.
This is what I wanted for bigger animals when hunting but can't get them so will have to settle for the 300gr A-frame which obviously is a great choice as well, I just think the 286gr would have a little bit better range. However it is unlikely I will be shooting past 100 yards with this rifle given the country it will be used in.

View attachment 474892
Ripper!

Lovely Choice.. it should pair up nicely with your Rigby in 450 rigby. If I were to buy a highland stalker I would choose the 9.3x62.
I'm sure your going to love it.
Pair it up with some 200gr cutting edge loaded to around 2800fps and your good to go for most game excluding Buffalo.
Congratulations.
Yeah I think the 9.3 and the 450 make a pretty good hunting pair especially for what I do.

As alot of you probably already know I am a bit of a Rigby fan boy and all though I already have a Rigby Big Game SSB chambered in 450 Rigby, I have been tempted by the Rigby Highland Stalker for sometime now.

Today I placed an order for a Highland Stalker in 9.3X62, I was able to choose from 3 different rifles available in stock in Australia in this chambering, as soon as I have the rifle in my hands I will post some pics, link below to the rifle I ordered, all though some of the pictures are generic the photos of the stock are of the actually rifle I have ordered.

I find the 9.3X62 cartridge an interesting one and I am very much looking forward to reloading for it, I have a good qty of Hornady Interlock 286gr and Swift A-frame 300gr projectiles coming my way.

I plan on mounting a leupold 1-4 scope with the Mauser style quick detach rings on the rifle.

I may not get the rifle in time but if I do I will take it with me on my buffalo hunt this year just as a back up rifle and to take a couple of cull cows with it if time permits.

Congratulations! Awesome purchase!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg