Rifle wait time woes

Sometimes if you want the best you have to do what THEY like to work on....case in point was when Speedy Gonzales was still building rifles in Fort Worth, Tx (instead of teaching gun smithing in Colorado). If you wanted a long range rifle built on a Rem 700 platform, you were good to go--bring in something else and it might sit in the corner, unstarted for a good year. He said he intended to get to it, but...

I'll update my status

Received my barrel today 13 months from time of order, 5 months after quoted time. Not the worst I have ever experienced. Hopefully it shoots.

My longest waiting time on a gun so far is just above 10 months but the maker sent me progress pictures regularly, that however just seemed to make the wait seem longer :giggle:

My longest waiting time on a gun so far is just above 10 months but the maker sent me progress pictures regularly, that however just seemed to make the wait seem longer :giggle:

1911 was my longest wait on a pistol almost 2.5 years Rifle was close to the same wait. I was okay with the pistol not so much with the rifle.

I spent nearly ten years on my .375 Weatherby. But the first gunsmith was incompetent....the second one died (he was 300 miles away from me) and nobody contacted me. I nearly lost the entire project. He was the patriarch of his entire clan, and supported at least three households. When he died, his wife lost it and fled hundreds of miles away to live with relatives. One daughter headed for the hills. The other daughter was local, but almost impossible to contact. Finally, I got in my car and just drove down, 300 miles to their house. By chance, a neighbor came by and saw me standing there. I told her who I was, and what I was after. She called the wife, who was crying when I spoke to her because it pained her so much (I felt like a real heel...but I just wanted my custom project back....). She put me in touch with the one daughter who was local, who sent her friend over to help me. I described what I had, the girl went inside, and actually found it. Had my Enfield action that Douglas had worked on, teh 30" Douglas barrel, the MPI stocks Hannibal stock, and a box of parts I'd bought. I felt really bad for them, but also felt lucky to get it back. Took it to the third 'smith and he spent about a year and a half, but I finally got it, and it's awesome. I'll probably take just one gun to Africa before my .458 Lott is done (the third 'smith has most of the parts...I'll take the rest to him soon....). Like a fine wine...these things take time. Would have been much easier to just buy a Model 70 Safari in .375 H&H. But, I love my Enfield and it literally has my initials engraved on the floor plate. Stock sized for me. :)

On edit, I forgot to mention....the gent didn't keep good records and they'd returned several hundred projects to their owners. They'd then run ads in the local papers for three months saying they were going to sell off the unclaimed remains. But since I was so far away, I didn't hear about it. I did get lucky....

I'd like to just order a Heym 89B, but it won't be this year...

Just FYI, while I won't call them "safari rifles", Matt Kranz, of Paradigm Carbon, is an engineering genius and build guns that shoot, and he delivers them without the wait. He has developed barrier-breaking carbon technology where the barrel is perfectly straight, and the stock is totally carbon (no fill). And they come together magically for zero-once technology, light weight and light recoil. He builds them on various actions: Defiance, Zermatt, Arc, Terminus and various other actions. He puts them together in 1-2 days. Do they shoot? A Marco Polo hunter just scored at over 1000 yards. He's building me a .300 PRC now. You have to speak with him to fully appreciate his know-how and process. I suggest having a brief look and then call him for the explanation. https://paradigmcarbon.com

My favorite JJ Perodeau hurt his back and so could not be at DSC. I always enjoy talking to him in person
This is the worst post I have read in this entire thread!!!

My last purchase on order took 8 and half months till completion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DieterFerg

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.