Beretta391

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Dsc,nsca
Hunted
Namibia, USA , Argentina
I know I will get flamed for this because I guess nobody takes a Remington 700 to Africa but here goes. My wife”the boss” has a Remington 700 Mtn rifle in 280. U can get the rifle in 30:06. People either love this rifle or hate it. It’s small, lightweight and fits my wife great. She’s only 5’3”. She’s used it for 30 years. It shoots almost all factory ammo under 1” moa and with reloads it will do better. All we’ve done to it is bed it and have a trigger job done. She’s harvested from jackal to eland in 4 trips to Africa. It’s never jammed or had any problem. Even after she dropped it in the sand at Kowas this year when the tripod fell over when we were taking pictures!! And yes after 30 years she has named it the widow maker and it’s the only rifle she wants!

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
I know I will get flamed for this because I guess nobody takes a Remington 700 to Africa but here goes. My wife”the boss” has a Remington 700 Mtn rifle in 280. U can get the rifle in 30:06. People either love this rifle or hate it. It’s small, lightweight and fits my wife great. She’s only 5’3”. She’s used it for 30 years. It shoots almost all factory ammo under 1” moa and with reloads it will do better. All we’ve done to it is bed it and have a trigger job done. She’s harvested from jackal to eland in 4 trips to Africa. It’s never jammed or had any problem. Even after she dropped it in the sand at Kowas this year when the tripod fell over when we were taking pictures!! And yes after 30 years she has named it the widow maker and it’s the only rifle she wants!
You will get no such flaming from me my friend.
What you, or your wife in this case, choose to hunt with is a very personal decision and I respect that.
Besides, wouldn't want to upset the "Widow Maker". :whistle:

All kidding aside, I know Remington makes a very nice rifle and I appreciate the info, but the R700 just isn't my cup of tea.
Hopefully I can sidestep the same wrath of the R700 lovers/haters that you dodged.

Cheers.

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
Ruger Guide Gun in 30-06. Comes with Stainless and laminate, 20" threaded barrel, and adjustable stock via spacers. And iron sights. And it is very economical.

I believe it also comes in 300 win mag but have to ask "why"? A 30-06 will do almost everything the 300 will except for extreme long range and with a 20" barrel, are you really getting any more out of it other than more bang and flame?

Then go all out on the scope and suppressor. Get her a great pair of binos if she hasn't allready got them. Nice women's camo, backpack....
Action Bob
I applaud your choice of weapons but I feel the 20 inch barrel would kill the ought 6 making it even less potent than the 308
Just my thoughts
Bob Nelson

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
Anyone here have experience with Legendary Arms Works?
Considering their Professional II.
Much like MRC, they will shorten LOP, barrel and thread...for additional $$ of course.

Currently under consideration (in no particular order)
Ruger Guide Gun
Winchester M70 Extreme Stainless
MRC X3
Legendary Arms Prof II
Kimber Mountain Ascent
Full on custom jobbie...but we shall see
BeeMaa
As someone else said full custom job. I've gone that route and it's not much more than a good factory job.
Find a,good donor action and go from there.
Cheers
Bob Nelson

Major Khan

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
How about a modern Winchester Model 70 chambered in either of these fine calibres , with a synthetic stock ? Old school American craftsmanship at it's finest .
I would also highly recommend the " Marquis " line of bolt rifles built by Lebeau Courally . I have recently visited Belgium and had the opportunity to examine several of their wares .

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
BeeMaa
As someone else said full custom job. I've gone that route and it's not much more than a good factory job.
Find a,good donor action and go from there.
Cheers
Bob Nelson
We ended up going a completely different route.
The wife tried on a Blaser R8 Intuition at Euro Optic and it was over.
She loved the wood and I love the rifle system so we are now a Blaser family.

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
We ended up going a completely different route.
The wife tried on a Blaser R8 Intuition at Euro Optic and it was over.
She loved the wood and I love the rifle system so we are now a Blaser family.
BeeMaa
Might not be the CRF you wanted but happy wife happy life mate. Hopefully you can shoot it too.
Cheers mate Bob

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
BeeMaa
Might not be the CRF you wanted but happy wife happy life mate. Hopefully you can shoot it too.
Cheers mate Bob
Hers is being channeled out to handle the safari weight barrels...in Germany.
We are still waiting on a few items from our order, her stock being one of them.
Mine is a used one I picked up from Euro Optic in 300WM.
We will both be able to shoot all the calibers we are getting.
300WM, 375H&H, 416RM and a 22lr kit for cheap practice.

What does your bride shoot?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cdn_shooter

Latest profile posts

degoins wrote on Treemantwo's profile.
I have a like new VC .450 I might part with. I had it built in 2013 and it has served me well. Also have a VC fitted leather trunk case for it along with the plastic case it came with. I'll take 14000 for all of it.
Matt W wrote on Jody's profile.
Hi Jody,
I have been looking for ideas on the best way to display my European mounts from Africa. I came across some of your shield work and was wondering if you would be willing to make one for me? If so, please let me know the cost. I like the shield with the two spears that you built for a member years ago. Thanks.
cal pappas wrote on Mnelson2's profile.
Nelson. Is this message a PM format. I want to send you my email, but don't know if this is the cirrect way to do it. I'm at <pappas@mtaonline.net> Send me an email with your phone and I will call you about a skull I have. I went to school in Boston and am from Bernardston in the west part of the state. Moved to Alaska in 1984 adn never looked back.
BeeMaa wrote on Justbryan's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. He was a pleasure to do business with.
BeeMaa wrote on 375Fox's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. Was a pleasure to do business with.