Rifle case for Africa

I use the SKB and I know some like the aluminum cases but I've see those dinged, dented and locking rods bent. The larger ones can incur excess/overweight baggage charges.

Here's what I fly with. Bought it at Cabelas about 20 years ago, I don't see them in their online catalog anymore. I use this case whenever I travel with my rifle.

A TSA agent told me a couple weeks ago as I was checking my rifle in this case that some of the cheaper plastic cases he has seen can be broken into with two screwdrivers and they prefer something more solid. He didn't say metal or plastic, just not a cheap case.

This has the rod that goes through 4 loops and folds down to place an ordinary padlock. Only one lock required, I keep a spare inside that uses the same key. I used non-TSA locks and they worked fine.

On another note, I carried ammunition in a small plastic ammo box manufactured by Plano. I did use a TSA combination lock on this box, with a spare lock inside. When I checked my bag with this container inside I disclosed it had ammunition in a locked container. The only question was if the ammunition was in the original factory box. I said "yes" and they tossed the bag on the conveyer to load on the plane.

IMG_0603.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's what I fly with. Bought it at Cabelas about 20 years ago, I don't see them in their online catalog anymore. I use this case whenever I travel with my rifle.

A TSA agent told me a couple weeks ago as I was checking my rifle in this case that some of the cheaper plastic cases he has seen can be broken into with two screwdrivers and they prefer something more solid. He didn't say metal or plastic, just not a cheap case.

This has the rod that goes through 4 loops and folds down to place an ordinary padlock. Only one lock required, I keep a spare inside that uses the same key. I used non-TSA locks and they worked fine.

On another note, I carried ammunition in a small plastic ammo box manufactured by Plano. I did use a TSA combination lock on this box, with a spare lock inside. When I checked my bag with this container inside I disclosed it had ammunition in a locked container. The only question was if the ammunition was in the original factory box. I said "yes" and they tossed the bag on the conveyer to load on the plane.
I have the same box, only I bought it closer to 30 years ago.

The one downside to it is that on my first trip to Africa someone had taken a hammer or something and beat on the padlock hasp and bent it to where it wouldn't open. While in the SAP's office I asked if anyone had a screwdriver so that I could bend it back to open the case. All I got were blank stares.

Then I remembered that I had my Leatherman in my suitcase sitting right next to my rifle case. I pulled it out and was able to bend the tab back to where I could open the rifle case. I'm not sure what I would of done if I hadn't had that Leatherman in my suitcase.

I have a 3 gun aluminum--well made, but increasingly a liability in flying. I don't think ANY gun case for a full length rifle meets the 62 inches requirement, not even a flat single gun case, so...
I wonder if it will come down to inches or weight as the deal breaker on cost.
In the past, we caught a break on "sporting equipment" luggage. Seems guns are becoming an exception, though golf clubs are just as weighty and cumbersome.

I used Pelican for years. Then one simply fell apart one trip. So now welded aluminum which dents but does not shatter

I don't think ANY gun case for a full length rifle meets the 62 inches requirement, not even a flat single gun case, so...
Pelican 1700 is 61.03" according to the specs given on their website. Here it is holding a "full length rifle" Blaser R8 with 2 barrels and weighing less than 35#.
1679688180684.png

If you wanted to travel with a traditional rifle, remove the action screws to separate the action/barrel from the stock. Reassemble with the proper torque wrench on arrival and check zero. It's really not as bad as it sounds.

I‘ve used metal and hard plastic Plano-type cases on several trips. Both types worked fine. The cheaper plastic cases just won’t cut it. Here’s one made by Flambeau. It would work great in your car or truck, but not in the baggage hold of an aircraft.

E39530DF-D1AE-4DBE-B614-30D9C4BC9447.png

IMG_5512.JPG

Americase, repainted bright orange so no one can miss it and drive over it/mishandle it on the airport.

The Pelican Vault worked out very well for me. The case is made to carry rifles very tightly.

Wrap them in 2-3 layers of cheesecloth or a sheet. The Vault is too tight to carry rifles while they are inside a soft case.

Put bolt-cutter proof locks that are keyed alike (non-TSA) in all 4 places.

Pelican 1700 is 61.03" according to the specs given on their website. Here it is holding a "full length rifle" Blaser R8 with 2 barrels and weighing less than 35#.
View attachment 525019

If you wanted to travel with a traditional rifle, remove the action screws to separate the action/barrel from the stock. Reassemble with the proper torque wrench on arrival and check zero. It's really not as bad as it sounds.
I was referring to full length rifle cases for rifles that do not break down--then they exceed 62"
I have read on AH before how that one selling point for the R8 is what you are illustrating here...nice!

I was referring to full length rifle cases for rifles that do not break down--then they exceed 62"
I have read on AH before how that one selling point for the R8 is what you are illustrating here...nice!
That's why I say to pull the action screws to make a traditional rifle shorter to fit in the 1700. Keeps it legal and more convenient for travel. @Backyardsniper is doing this right now with a Sako 416RIGBY and a double rifle. Here's the thread...

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/opinions-on-case-configuration-2.74357/#post-1043283

I had a Pelican 1750 and traveled to Africa with 2 rifles in it. It was right at the weight limit, cumbersome and awkward to handle at best. The 1700 with a Blaser or even what @Backyardsniper is doing is a much better option IMO.

My bolt guns all have either 2 or 3 action screws. Take the bbl action out of the stock and finger tighten screws back in place. It is not rocket science. Most rifles can be a poor man’s take down rifle. :) Cut out bbl action and stock outlines in high density foam in bottom section of Pelican 1700. Be sure lid foam compresses rifle sections enough to prevent movement during the rough handling that will certainly happen. Easiest to handle and toughest system I know of for transport/travel with firearms. Also easiest for inspectors to access for inspection. The last thing you want is an irritated inspector jacking around trying to inspect your rifle when the time comes or in worst case a delay if trying to make a tight connection flight after a late arrival. Use simple cheap padlocks in lock holes. Keep an extra key separate.

I love Americase three-gun rolling cases. Mine had been to hell and back a thousand times. Run over by the airport trolleys, dropped from great heights by baggage handlers which broke the axels (easily replaced).

After a decade of really hard use, all the scratches and gouges really piled up. I decided to retire mine to be used as a furnishing and for domestic travel in my own vehicle.

All the dents, scuffs, gouges, and chunks of aluminum that were missing are concealed by covering it in leather.

IMG_7043.JPG

View attachment 524971
I have this same case and it has seen a lot of trips. I like the rod, it allows me to use one discus style padlock. I have actually had TSA agents remark that they like these cases because it makes for quicker inspections. I also pack extra locks inside the case, in the event I ever get the one TSA agent that wants a lock in each hasp. You just never know how a rule will get interpreted on any given day, right?

I always take two guns to Africa. Pelican cases work well. Also take a 2 Soft Cases for the truck!!!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg