Remington Core Lokt?

I have used the CL bullet in the .308 Win with 180 grs factory ammo. Good performance in Red Deer. Also used it in the 7x57 with 175 grs reloads at 2600 f/s muzzle velocity. Also good performance in Red Deer does.
But I like more the Winchester classic Power Points!!! From the old 270 grs .375 H&H to the 180 grs 30-06 and 145 grs 7x57. The ones I have used have thick cups, softer or more malleable than CL or Hornady Interlock by the way. I really like the PP!

Best!

CF

I like more the Winchester classic Power Points!!! the old 270 grs .375 H&H The ones I have used have thick cups, softer or more malleable than CL or Hornady Interlock by the way. I really like the PP!

Best!

CF

I agree, the WW 270 gr .375" Power Point is IMO the best factory load for the H&H. Too bad WW went in business with Nosler and replaced the PP with that other thing. Several years back Bill Steigers conducted a test of .375" bullets and the PP results compared favorably with all others available at the time. Bill's only derogatory comment about them were that they had the "BC of a brick".

Common trend here is that those who have had great success, for YEARS with them, love them. Those that have had a bad experience with them ONCE, hate them. Look throughout the threads on this forum, regardless of the bullet being discussed, the trend is the same. If you had one (name a bullet) that didn't pass through, didn't expand properly, blew apart, exploded on the shoulder,, missed the intended target, then there is a bias toward said bullet. Anyway, I'm a huge fan of Core Lokt bullets, and the Sierra game king, and the TBBC and most well produced factory bullets, as long as they are accurate in the rifle i am shooting. However all have "failed" so to speak, always recovered the animal, except that damn Gemsbok which was more likely human error than bullet performance. So did the other bullets actually fail if your target is dead?

Common trend here is that those who have had great success, for YEARS with them, love them. Those that have had a bad experience with them ONCE, hate them. Look throughout the threads on this forum, regardless of the bullet being discussed, the trend is the same. If you had one (name a bullet) that didn't pass through, didn't expand properly, blew apart, exploded on the shoulder,, missed the intended target, then there is a bias toward said bullet. Anyway, I'm a huge fan of Core Lokt bullets, and the Sierra game king, and the TBBC and most well produced factory bullets, as long as they are accurate in the rifle i am shooting. However all have "failed" so to speak, always recovered the animal, except that damn Gemsbok which was more likely human error than bullet performance. So did the other bullets actually fail if your target is dead?
I would tend to agree with you.
However the fact remains that there are badly designed bullets.
To the point of the manufacturer having to redesigning the bullet.
Case in point is the Hornady (unbonded) DGX.

Now I'm not saying the CL is a bad design.
As all things, it's good when used within it's parameters.
Most problems will occur when outside of these.
Low or high impact velocity, shot angle to severe...etc.

The fact is there is no "magic bullet".
That one size fits all and does everything.
Perfect expansion, penetration at all angles and speeds.
Bullet companies are paid to sell bullets.
Their marketing departments often are optimistic about claims.
So take anything from them with a grain of salt.

Actual hunters, like those of us on AH have real world experience.
Both good and bad with all kind of bullets, calibers and game.
And the bullet companies are listening.
This has lead to better R&D.
The performance window of modern bullets had expanded.

What I am saying is...
There are bullets with a larger performance window than the CL.
And for that reason, I no longer use them on game animals.
The bullets I now trust have been proven to me, by my own experiences.

Do you stay with the tried and true CL that has worked for you?
Are you hunting something different than you normally hunt?
Can you trust what others are saying about "better" bullets?
The choice is ultimately yours.

The internet is a wonderful place.
If you are looking to validate your opinion, it's out there.
If you are looking for actual FACTS, they are harder to find...but still out there.

I have shot all my elk with 225gr. .338WM Core Lokts. I have seen one running bull taken with a150gr. .270 Win Core Lokt. Apparently, they won't work in Africa due to being closer to the equator and the change in the magnetic field, so I'm graduating to 225gr. TTSXs. All copper bullets aren't affected by magnetic change.

I have seen one running bull taken with a150gr. .270 Win Core Lokt. Apparently, they won't work in Africa due to being closer to the equator and the change in the magnetic field, All copper bullets aren't affected by magnetic change.

The reason bullets act differently in the Northern and the Southern Hemisphere is not due to magnetic change. It is due to the Coriolis Effect being reversed when one crosses the Equator. a bullet that is designed to resist the effect pushing it to the right will be unable to resist, in fact will aid a force that is pushing it to the left. So it's quite understandable that a bullet that penetrates well in Montana would barely penetrate the skin of an animal in South Africa.

I have no problem with the build and performance of the Core-lokt bullets in the right game and with proper velocities but here's the last (not 'last' as in most recent but 'last' as in never again) Remington Core-lokt load I shot at a game animal...no bullet performs well at velocities of 0 fps...It sounds made-up but it was the first hunting shot I ever took using a double rifle. Luckily, all I had to do was cycle the safety to shoot the other barrel. I dropped an 8-point whitetail with a 180 grain Nosler ballistic-tip from the top barrel. I've been a Nosler fan ever since.

50688190216_9883fd1b28_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason bullets act differently in the Northern and the Southern Hemisphere is not due to magnetic change. It is due to the Coriolis Effect being reversed when one crosses the Equator. a bullet that is designed to resist the effect pushing it to the right will be unable to resist, in fact will aid a force that is pushing it to the left. So it's quite understandable that a bullet that penetrates well in Montana would barely penetrate the skin of an animal in South Africa.
Ah, that explains it. Thanks Ray B! I'm still not taking any chances and going with the longer Barnes. A longer all copper bullet may resist the "effect" you've described? Plus, I know from reading stuff on the internet, the Barnes will penetrate the Aramid fiber like membrane just under the skin of African game MUCH better than Core Lokts. I think a 225gr. bullet may work OK, but maybe even a LONGER 250gr. Barnes would work better against the Coriolis Effect? I'll have to do some more research.

I have no problem with the build and performance of the Core-lokt bullets in the right game and with proper velocities but here's the last (not 'last' as in most recent but 'last' as in never again) Remington Core-lokt load I shot at a game animal...no bullet performs well at velocities of 0 fps...It sounds made-up but it was the first hunting shot I ever took using a double rifle. Luckily, all I had to do was cycle the safety to shoot the other barrel. I dropped an 8-point whitetail with a 180 grain Nosler ballistic-tip from the top barrel. I've been a Nosler fan ever since.

View attachment 449720
I like Nosler Partitions too. My father in law has taken most, if not all, of his game (elk, moose, sheep, mtn. goat, caribou and deer) with 225gr. .338WM Partitions. I've taken deer and pronghorn with 150gr. .270 Win Partitions. No complaints from any of the animals taken.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve killed several bull elk with the 225 grain .338 WM CL and like them better than a Nosler Partition. Better mushroom.

I've enjoyed the resurrection of this thread. Over the past year, I've found 2 estate sales where I picked up hundreds and hundreds of bulk packed core lokts in several calibers. I bought them for plinking and as a critical reserve in case this component shortage continues past my supply of premium bullets. I will also use them for teach grandkids to shoot the larger centerfire cartridges.

On a separate note: I was surprised when I used borrowed rifles from two different PHs and both were using .30-06 with core lokts. One used factory ammo while the other had hand loaded ammo with core-lokts.

Fun thread and I'm enjoying reading all the comments.

CEH,
A common item is some of your and other posts above is the .338 Win Mag. This is also my favorite for elk and other large critters. I used mine in Africa and Colorado and always had one shot kills with different factory ammo . IMHO, one heck of a good cartridge.

WRT to Rem corelocked ammo? Shot it for years in my ,308 before Hornady Light Magnum came out and then switched. Less than half of any bullets from my rifles are recovered and if a bullet makes a clean kill, I have no complaints.

Hello All,

Wanted to get some feedback on the Remington Core Lokt buller in pointed soft point. Personally, I went to South Africa in August of 2008 and it did very well with me shooting a Remington 700 rifle chambered in 270 Win. I shot a Kudu, Eland, 2 Zebra, an Impala, Warthog, and a Gemsbuck. We did not have shots over 100 yards and no animal went over 50 yards. Meaning, there was no tracking of the animals. Now, I know there's going to be the "shot placement" comments and the like, but specifically I am wanting to hear the good and bad from people who have used this bullet in South Africa on plainsgame.

My question is this: This bullet seems so popular in the Southeast where I live, why doesn't it get any love on this message forum.

I am going back in April 2012 with a 300 Win Mag but everyone seems to recommend a bullet other than the Remington Core Lokt. What gives?
Sure it is the old standby that most of us have used on deer at one time or another. I don’t advise his bullet or the .270 For Africa. Let me explain why. You explained that in your last safari you had all 100 yard shots Or less. I’ve been to Africa 16 times now and I’ve never had a single hunt like that. Maybe we can count you as lucky. On my last PG safari in August I had shots from 200-500 yards. If you had been in my shoes you would have had a bit of trouble. I used a .300Win with Barnes TSX in 180gr. Nothing got away or really went anywhere although a big sable took 5 good hits to go down for good!
Will your next safari be an easy one with lots of game? Will most shots be off the truck? Or will it be a tough glass and stalk hunt where a guy has to stretch out and make some serious shots?
My only motivation here is for you to have success in the future. Take a look at your options and make sure you are prepared for he unexpected.
Regards,
Philip

I've enjoyed the resurrection of this thread. Over the past year, I've found 2 estate sales where I picked up hundreds and hundreds of bulk packed core lokts in several calibers. I bought them for plinking and as a critical reserve in case this component shortage continues past my supply of premium bullets. I will also use them for teach grandkids to shoot the larger centerfire cartridges.

On a separate note: I was surprised when I used borrowed rifles from two different PHs and both were using .30-06 with core lokts. One used factory ammo while the other had hand loaded ammo with core-lokts.

Fun thread and I'm enjoying reading all the comments.
HuntingGold,
Since you have a .35 Whelen(s), you won’t be needing those lousy .338 Core Lokts, so you can send them my way? LOL
CEH

I have never had any trouble with the Core Lokts. I used 175 gr 7mm CL on 4 Continents from 1983 to about 2000. I only switched to 139 gr Hornady when I started hunting more in the US. I would say from 1983 to 200, I shot about 120-130 species with the CL. Most were closer than 150 yards, some out to 350 yards. But at this distance the 175 gr really starts to drop if sighted in at 100 yards. In that time , I only wondened one amimal a Roan, I under estimated the distance and my shot was low. We found it, or should I say the trackers found it. Philip, I am on the same page with mstewart44, on almost all my trips to Africa, my shots were closer than 150 yards. This includes open plains to swamps to jungle hunts. I do agree that a 270 might be a little for Africa. Just my two-cents Kelley

@CoElkHunter I didn't pick up the 338s as that is the one caliber I dont have! Sorry man or I could've helped ya out. I'll keep my eyes open for more.
RH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg